Thread: 3 question - Fuel - Codes - Block Heaters

Here Hemi, Hemi, Hemi...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3 question - Fuel - Codes - Block Heaters

Well, my previous post indicated that I was going to sell my '03 Shamu and get a Stroked Hog. Well my family and I picked up an '07 Wedgewood Blue with black flames powered by a 6.0 Stroke. Best part...I still have my '03 Shamu.

Now for the questions...

1. Diesel fuel. Is there a difference between what big trucks (semis) run and automotive diesel that is at gas stations and truck stops. Asking the clerk at the truck top gave me the answer - truck drivers / companies buy into programs that allows their fuel to be less expensive at the pump. This unfortunately didn't answer the question. I'm inquiring as to the chemical makeup of the fuel. I have been trying to use an additive that keeps the fuel system functioning properly, keeps fuel from gelling, etc. a family friend of ours has an early Excursion with a 7.3 Stroke and he has never put anything in his fuel with around 280,000 on its clock. Living in the Midwest, I am concerned also about gelling of the fuel. Ay thoughts are certainly appreciated.

2. Codes - last week while driving in town 35-45mph speeds, the truck threw 3 codes at me. The first is P0405: which per ChinaZone tells me the EGR valve has failed. The other two codes were: U1900 and C2900. ChinaZone had no information on either of these two codes. The following day, when taking the truck to town, I noticed that the check engine was out, and has not returned since. I was to the understanding that when the computer threw a code to you, that you had to have it reset at a dealer, workshop, etc. Autozone didn't erase the code. Any ideas?

3. Lastly - Block Heaters. Our Stroke doesn't have one. Again, living in the Midwest, we do get cold during the winter. A block down the street is a '93 with I believe early generation 7.3, and his is plugged in from September to end of April. When it's down below 32 or so, she has an entertaining idle for about 30-45 seconds then all is back to normal. Will it be ok to continue on without a block heater, or can someone direct me to where i can pick one up.

Lastly, I realize that this was a long post, however I certainly appreciate any input that you can provide to assist.

Thank you

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crushor View Post

1. Diesel fuel. Is there a difference between what big trucks (semis) run and automotive diesel that is at gas stations and truck stops. Asking the clerk at the truck top gave me the answer - truck drivers / companies buy into programs that allows their fuel to be less expensive at the pump. This unfortunately didn't answer the question. I'm inquiring as to the chemical makeup of the fuel. I have been trying to use an additive that keeps the fuel system functioning properly, keeps fuel from gelling, etc. a family friend of ours has an early Excursion with a 7.3 Stroke and he has never put anything in his fuel with around 280,000 on its clock. Living in the Midwest, I am concerned also about gelling of the fuel. Ay thoughts are certainly appreciated.
    As far as I know, there is no difference. The only reason you see the Trucks/Trailors go to different pumps at certain gas stations is to prevent them from backing up the regular gas lines. I have seen an 18 wheeler gas truck drop off gas at a gas station that was a normal one here downtown and he was low on gas so he just pulled closer to the diesel pump in between the regular gas pumps and put it in his tank.

2. Codes - last week while driving in town 35-45mph speeds, the truck threw 3 codes at me. The first is P0405: which per ChinaZone tells me the EGR valve has failed. The other two codes were: U1900 and C2900. ChinaZone had no information on either of these two codes. The following day, when taking the truck to town, I noticed that the check engine was out, and has not returned since. I was to the understanding that when the computer threw a code to you, that you had to have it reset at a dealer, workshop, etc. Autozone didn't erase the code. Any ideas?
    Sometimes when you turn the vehicle off it will clear a code that isn't causing a constant problem...I have had many vehicles do this. My old audi would through a code and then after sitting off for a night, the code would be gone and not come back on unless I drove like an A-hole. Its letting you know something is about to break but isn't broken yet. IIRC there is something that needs to be done to these diesal motors as there is a known issue with them and the EGR was one thing. Jump on one of the diesal forums for more info if you can't find it here using the search tool.

3. Lastly - Block Heaters. Our Stroke doesn't have one. Again, living in the Midwest, we do get cold during the winter. A block down the street is a '93 with I believe early generation 7.3, and his is plugged in from September to end of April. When it's down below 32 or so, she has an entertaining idle for about 30-45 seconds then all is back to normal. Will it be ok to continue on without a block heater, or can someone direct me to where i can pick one up.
    I go no answer for you on this one...I am sure someone else will chime in.

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your 6.0 should have a block heater just above the starter motor under the right head you just wont have the wiring on the frame. If the engine was replaced it wont have a block heater in the block. If you have the heater then just order the wiring from the dealer and youre set.

The code P0405, going by memory here could be egr low flow detected or position sensor circuit failure. Its been a year and half since I left ford so im getting rusty! The MAP sensor watches for a pressure drop during a self test, if it isnt in range it throws the code. Chances are the valve is carboned up so removing it and cleaning it may be the cure. Otherwise youll need a valve.

Fuel is low sulphur or ultra low sulphur. Dont run bio diesel ever just in case you considered it.