Thread: Do I need to get a programmer ?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do I need to get a programmer ?

Hi guys just reading threw the endless info you guys have on these trucks and it is great . I have a simple thing to ask ( well simple to you,s guys cause you been there done that ) I have a 2003 truck with a k&n filter and has just got a second hand exhaust system which is a dynatech long tube heads to magna flow cats and magna flow muffler ! I plan on fitting a set of cut outs after the cats ! But want to know will I need to fit a programmer for this to be safe ? It is just that I live in Ireland and no one here would be able to tune this for me !! Can this be programmed to the programmer so all I got to do is plug it in ? Hope you,s can point me the right way
    Cheers John
    Last edited by john mulholland; 01-08-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Welcome John! As someone who has had cutouts on my truck, I would advise against it. These trucks sound like poop with wide open exhaust. I was extremely disappointed in how it came out. It sounds decent at idle, and ok when going wide open, but otherwise it just sounds like a horrible exhaust leak. Not to mention a noticeable loss of power. These trucks actually need a little backpressure to perform right. But if you do decide to do so, with an otherwise stock truck you should be ok with the stock tune.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info going to have to fit them it's in my head I have to do it lol was hopping the headers would help with the sound

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john mulholland View Post
    Hi guys just reading threw the endless info you gays have on these trucks and it is great . I have a simple thing to ask ( well simple to you,s guys cause you been there done that ) I have a 2003 truck with a k&n filter and has just got a second hand exhaust system which is a dynatech long tube heads to magna flow cats and magna flow muffler ! I plan on fitting a set of cut outs after the cats ! But want to know will I need to fit a programmer for this to be safe ? It is just that I live in Ireland and no one here would be able to tune this for me !! Can this be programmed to the programmer so all I got to do is plug it in ? Hope you,s can point me the right way
    Cheers John
    Harley356 had the fancy electric cut-outs on his truck and took them off after awhile too.
    I agree with SonicHD. They're a no go on the HD.

I've had them on Camaro's back in the day and after the first month it was back to the exhaust shop to take them back off.

I think with the dynatech headers you put on and the catback (and run high flow cats in the front and none in the rear) you'll have pretty much the loudness you want all the time anyways.

With all of that, you will be surprised how loud your truck will be over stock.

A programmer can't hurt. You can get some benefits from loading the pulley tune for 93 octane and it should be fine.

BTW....I ain't gay!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lol sorry about the spelling sent it from my phone and have fat fingers lol

Name: Casey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Figured I would revive this one....I got a metco 6# lower kit this weekend. I have an SCT tunothe truck already, but using the preprogrammed tunes.

Does anyone have a 6# tune or will the computer handle the pulley swap on its own?

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    If there is no tuner within range of your area to go and get a proper dyno tune then you could consider doing an email tune.
    Here are some examples - in no particular order.
    Search for JLP (Johnny Lightning Performance), WMS (Woodbine Motor Sports), Torrie (Unleashed Tuning).