Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 03 starting problem

Jimmy
    Name: Jimmy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

03 starting problem

So here's my problem had the truck for a couple months battery looked new when I bought the truck had a couple of paint issues Simi had the dealer repaint them prior to that no starting issues got the truck back last night all good went to work today all good went to get in it to go home and it wouldn't start just rapid clicking and lights go dead so I get a jump start all good get home turn it off go inside come back out and it's dead again now does this sound like an alternator issue

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    sounds like a dead battery or poor connection at the battery terminals.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    ^^ Agreed. Clean all connections and put a thin film of grease to protect them.

Plus, the gauge should read low and the light should come on in the dash when the alternator is bad or not charging.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Did you get it fixed?

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsinister View Post
    So here's my problem had the truck for a couple months battery looked new when I bought the truck had a couple of paint issues Simi had the dealer repaint them prior to that no starting issues got the truck back last night all good went to work today all good went to get in it to go home and it wouldn't start just rapid clicking and lights go dead so I get a jump start all good get home turn it off go inside come back out and it's dead again now does this sound like an alternator issue
    I have the same issue. I've had mine for just over a month. Go on a trip for work early on Monday of this week. Come home late on Friday. Go to start it up since it sat for 5 days and click, click, click......
    Check the battery at the terminals and it says 9.2 V. Clean the terminals, and reconnect everything. Jump it, and take another reading after a few minutes and it reads 14.42 V. Take it for a 20 minute drive on the freeway, get back home, turn it off, and click, click, click again. Probably a dead battery even though it looks new? No lights lit up either. While running/driving, everything appears normal until I go to restart it.
    Last edited by 5.4 F150; 06-14-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 F150 View Post
    I have the same issue. I've had mine for just over a month. Go on a trip for work early on Monday of this week. Come home late on Friday. Go to start it up since it sat for 5 days and click, click, click......
    Check the battery at the terminals and it says 9.2 V. Clean the terminals, and reconnect everything. Jump it, and take another reading after a few minutes and it reads 14.42 V. Take it for a 20 minute drive on the freeway, get back home, turn it off, and click, click, click again. Probably a dead battery even though it looks new? No lights lit up either. While running/driving, everything appears normal until I go to restart it.
    Its a 12 volt battery should at least read that not 9.2 volts

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Sound like the battery is kaput or something is killing the battery???

I'd have the battery checked out. Drop it off at your local Batteries Plus.

I went with a new Optima Yellow Top and have not had any issues since.

I also suggest, if you let it sit, purchase a Battery Tender to top it off.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    Its a 12 volt battery should at least read that not 9.2 volts
    Unless its dead, then it will read less than 12 volts.

9. The Following User Liked SonicHD For This Useful Post:

Bigd3077 (06-21-2015)

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Thanks everyone. Had to go on another trip. Just got back, and picked up an Optima D34 on the way home today, installed it, and problem solved! The old battery was fine until I installed the new alarm w/remote start, auto window, and the 500W Navi stereo. Ended up being too much drain on the Feb 2011 battery.

Since I've also been converting to LED's and HID's, I want sure if it was a coincidence, or I screwed something up and had a short. Frustrating but it's all good now.

After reading up, probably put my mirrors on hold, and go with the L&S oil separator, and clean the inter cooler since I have no history. From what I read, not only is it a very good idea, but it's going to help the performance

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Any probs starting since the new battery?

In my case I need a Battery Tender Jr. For some reason (since I've owned my truck) if I let it sit a couple of weeks, the battery voltage will be low and it will not start.
    This could be from the alarm installed by the first owner or any number of reasons. It's fine for a few days but after a week or two it needs a little help to get started.

The BT jr. is small & fits under the hood. My truck is not a DD. When it sat in my driveway (under a Weathershield HD cover) I ran a long extension cord & plugged it in.
    Now that it can go inside the garage, I pull it in, pop the hood and plug in the BT jr. When I remember to plug in 5the BT jr. I never have any issues with it starting up.

12. The Following User Liked Merlin For This Useful Post:

Bigd3077 (06-21-2015)

Mobbin around the NW

Merlin, I have a feeling its because you are running a Optima that you need that tender. The old Optimas were great, until they sold out. Now they are just short of junk. I was a die hard Optima user from about 1996 till last year. I got tired of having a dead battery if I didnt drive my truck for a week. I got a Die Hard platinum battery (rebranded Odyssey battery) and its been cherry ever since. Fires right up even if its been sitting for over a month.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Merlin, I have a feeling its because you are running a Optima that you need that tender. The old Optimas were great, until they sold out. Now they are just short of junk. I was a die hard Optima user from about 1996 till last year. I got tired of having a dead battery if I didnt drive my truck for a week. I got a Die Hard platinum battery (rebranded Odyssey battery) and its been cherry ever since. Fires right up even if its been sitting for over a month.
    Interesting. I just spent $227 on this Optima because I had such good luck withe the previous Optima on my Mustang. Just popped the hood and this one is made in Mexico. Wonder if that's why their not as good as they used to be?
    Anyway, while I had the hood popped, I checked the voltage, and it reads 12.56V after sitting all night so I don't think I have any issues. We'll see how it goes over time.

Mobbin around the NW

Thats exactly why they arent what they used to be. New owner, cheap mass production. The last one I sh*t canned was only 2 years old. But I got tired of having to jump the truck to drive it. It would be fine if I drove the truck within the last week, but it seemed if I ever went longer than a week, it would always be dead.

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I had a weird experience recently in the charging system. I too have an Optima yellow top, it came with the truck when I bought it in August.

Since I have owned it, it has been lazy to start compared to Hazel (my '02 that got a new Die Hard Platinum April '14.) At Idle, Heisenberg was charging the battery at 14.55v ± .05v. However when turned off, the voltage would drop instantly to 11.5v. I also noticed that my lights would dim when a big bass note would hit while driving. I always just chalked it up to the lame late model Optima batteries.

So last week I was checking out the A/C system with my gauges to make sure it was running at optimum, and it was charging at the typical 14.55v. I am guessing that while I was attaching the low pressure port to the accumulator I must have bumped a power or ground cable nearby, because all of the sudden the battery started charging at 15.3v. And since then it fires up like its ready to go run a race, and no more light dimming on the bass hits.

The weirdest part is that I have gone through the entire charging and grounding systems with a fine toothed comb. Making sure that all connections are making good contact. I even added a 4 ga. cable directly from the alternator positive to the battery (thought it didn't change anything after installed). Also of note: this truck had a full earth grounding kit installed since it was almost new. I am still not sold on these, I get the concept, but it seems more like just extra clutter under the hood.

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Optima used to be made by johnson controls. same company that makes 98% of everyones factory batteries. now i have no idea who makes them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast