Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backup camera - where did you place yours?

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts

Backup camera - where did you place yours?

90% done installing mine just can't decide where to put it?

I'm installing a door lock actuator into the tailgate so I thought about putting it where the OE lock key cylinder was, but then I realized the camera would just be pointing at the ground with the tailgate down.

Does it work well installed in the gap above the bumper and below the tailgate with the tailgate up or down? I haven't had a chance to temp mount it.
    Last edited by Blind; 02-12-2013 at 02:56 PM.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    If it's one of those small lipstick type cylinder cameras I think there is a license plate mount available.

I saw one guy just drilled an aluminum plate behind the license plate to mount the camera to and had a small neat hole opened up in his actual license plate for the camera to peak out from and you really never even knew it was even there.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Word

it's a little bigger than that
    XO Vision HTC35 Universal Rearview Vehicle Backup Camera with

I wont be mounting to/through the license plate as my goal is to get a completely hidden hitch to mount up behind the stock bumper with a modded flip down license plate.

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    the hole were the spare tire handle if you don't use it i have my spare in the bed

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GRANTBP View Post
    the hole were the spare tire handle if you don't use it i have my spare in the bed
    You can still get the spare tire lowering rod in between the bumper and the tailgate without having to use the hole

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
    You can still get the spare tire lowering rod in between the bumper and the tailgate without having to use the hole
    i have a rollpan don't know

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GRANTBP View Post
    thats where mine was

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Mine's mounted on top of my tag cover. Here's a pic I took a while back.

9. The Following User Liked Merlin For This Useful Post:

AJ2004 (09-25-2016)

Name: Dave

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    drilled a hole right in the middle of the letter "W" in my license plate. You can't tell its there, unless your right on top of it. It blends with the black letter

iHarley
    Name: iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    90% done installing mine just can't decide where to put it?

I'm installing a door lock actuator into the tailgate so I thought about putting it where the OE lock key cylinder was, but then I realized the camera would just be pointing at the ground with the tailgate down.

Does it work well installed in the gap above the bumper and below the tailgate with the tailgate up or down? I haven't had a chance to temp mount it.
    This has been on my list to do for a long time, still looking for the best location to mount the camera also. Installing the camera in the OE lock location with electric lock actuator seems the best for me. Doesn't look like a hack add-on and I don't drive around with my tailgate down. Not sure if mounted that high, the camera would see the trailer hitch?

Following this and will be interested in what you come up with.

Word

I think I'm going to end up ditching mine and getting a license plate one like this -
    http://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-LP13...+backup+camera
    and just cutting the 'frame' down so only the camera bolt on part is used, hoping I can put it on top of my 'alumni' frame which is also chrome.

If anyone is interested in my 'flush mount' style camera, it's basically this -
    http://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-HTC3.../dp/B001P3PSR6

I'd sell it for $10 missing the rca cable as I already ran it cleanly on the truck...
    Last edited by Blind; 03-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Word

finally decided and went with a through the plate mount like Gonebrokeracing mentioned above -

Turns out my plate has a "9" right in the middle, with 3 letters on each side of it, and my camera fits the 9 really well!

I had a couple of extra plates from my Tahoe I just sold which had a 6 and 9 on it, so I tested with a step drill 3 times before going at my plate.

Works fine, not sure how useful it is but my headunit switching to a blank black screen whenever I backed up anywhere was pissing me off, I like when **** works ;)
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Looks great!

Word

wanted to edit out my plate a bit before posting how the finished product looks -

I showed my brother and he and a friend are absolutely convinced that I will get pulled over and raped for having "covered up" part of my plate.

I think it will be fine, but I do live in CA so we'll just have to wait and see...

iHarley
    Name: iHarley

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My Backup Camera Install

The head unit in my truck has the option for a backup camera, but none had been installed. After searching many hours on other installs, this is mine.

The camera is a color CCD 9 Infrared Keyhole Wide Angle 120 Degree RearView Backup Camera, eBay Seller"yanlabonline" Rocky Americas, Contact "Long"
    Replaced the handle with 1L3Z-994300-BAA FordGenuine Part, Tailgate Handle without key lock, eBay
    And installed Pop&Lock PowerTailgate Lock PL8250

With the angled rings supplied with the camera the view is 3 feet from the back bumper to the ground, very good side view and the
    9 infrared LED's provide lots of light.

I'm very happy with the look and function!

Attached Images Attached Images

17. The Following User Liked iHarley For This Useful Post:

AJ2004 (09-25-2016)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast