Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it time for new leaf springs?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ya went to the shop today and the guy said it would have to come off....then said it might be cheaper/ better to get new ones.... he also recommended get new U bolts as well... was hoping for a cheap fix but doesn't look like i'm headed down that road...went to the belltech site and couldn't find the leaf spring for the harley, just standard cabs? can someone point me in the right direction? also the rest of the hotchkis tvs package is in there....should i swap out the other springs to BT or can i get away with keeping the TVS springs in? all help is greatly appreciate! p.s. also not a millionaire

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    A good spring/suspension shop should be able to fix it. Just be sure they check the spring-rate after doing so. BTW, whenever a u-bolt is removed it should always be replaced with new.

If you are interested, I have a set of CE/Moroso spring pads/brackets for TB's. They are new and complete with all stainless hardware and new u-bolts (much beefier than stock, Belltech, or Metco). They are powder-coated CX (DSG).

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcanuck View Post
    so i slid under the truck again and the leaf springs don't look broken when i jack the truck up i can tap the leafs straight again..could it be the bolts on the u clamp have loosen and thats what causing the leaf springs to shift?
    For now, I don't think you need to do anything other than loosen the ubolts and set it back straight with the others leafs in the stack and band them all back together then re-torque the ubolts.

You originally only mentioned squeaky noises. Is the truck sagging or riding any different because of this?
    No need to buy new stuff if it isn't needed.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    truck seems to handle ok, i live in the city so mostly stop and go, but i should start with straighten the leaf springs and tighten the u bolts.. i don't think the truck sags in the rear... lemme see if i can get a few pics tonite.. how tight should the u bolts be? thanks again

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    For reference, most torque specs are located here:

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/how-art...ecs-stuff.html

Looks like 73-97 for the ubolts.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    right on, well i got to it yesterday, jacked up the truck and loosened the Ubolts, if 100ft lbs was the torque spec it was no where close, there was a bolt in the center that was also loose and seems to be bent, when i tried to tighten it, it just spun so i left it and just cranked up on the u bolts to 100 ft lbs did both sides, put the wheels on at 150 ft lbs and went for a drive. seemed tight and handled well... i didn't get a before shot of the suspension but took some pics while i was in there of the loose parts... was super easy to do hopefully it holds, please let me know if any of the torque specs seem out! thanks everyone!DSC03238.jpgDSC03243.jpgDSC03244.jpgDSC03290.jpg

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    it looks like someone did more harm than good by installing a rear sway bay that doesn't fit. Yank it off/out; then make sure that everything that needs clearance has adequate clearance & that everything is torqued down. The spring pack has been sliding around on that spring perch it appears. Someone did some monkeying around on that truck & had no idea what they were doing.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow... Is it ok to drive? all the suspension was on the truck when i bought it. Its the tvs kit for the truck so shouldn't the sway bar fit? does the sway bar look way too big? yes i think when the u bolts loosend the bolt in the center of the pack bent a bit i just put it back together and torqued down the u bolts.....is this gunna cut it??

Name: Erik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I saw that JLP has fiber glass leaf springs and wondering if that would be good replacement?

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon2291 View Post
    I saw that JLP has fiber glass leaf springs and wondering if that would be good replacement?
    They are a great option if weight reduction is your goal. IIRC they weigh about 13 lbs, that's about an 80 lb savings. Daily driving with FG leaf springs is ok, not so great when you want to carry over 300 lbs in the bed. Towing is fine, as long as tongue weight does not exceed 250 lbs.

If a firmer and better handling ride is more what you're after try the Belltech leaf springs. I'm tempted to put them back on.. I miss hitting the highway off ramps at 90 mph.
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2