Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how much hp will i gain?

Name: Adrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well okay if the supercharger has a rattling noise it won't throw metal shavings into the engine ?
    And well I'm runing a diablo sport tune on the pulley tune I'm running 12 psi and the tune is for 13-14 could that one psi really do this? , I know that a handheld tuner isn't the best but once again I am from Mexico I can't get dyno tuning its frustrating , but what can I do?
    And yes I cleaned the intercooler it wasn't too bad but the intercooler pump was dead when I got it I have no idea how long it was like that , I bought the truck because the exterior and interior is flawless and it didn't knock it didn't have any unusual noises I regret buying it big time but I'm almost 20k in it so yea
    And I bought it thinking it was as bullet proof as my brothers lightning that truck has bin nothing but abused it had 4 owners who would just use it at the track with slicks, 150 shot and 6lb lower on stock supercharger and stock block and it works like new after a 140 k and has had a wrong tune all the time I just don't get that my truck is so fragile if it has the same power plant

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian.froese View Post
    Well okay if the supercharger has a rattling noise it won't throw metal shavings into the engine ?
    And well I'm runing a diablo sport tune on the pulley tune I'm running 12 psi and the tune is for 13-14 could that one psi really do this? , I know that a handheld tuner isn't the best but once again I am from Mexico I can't get dyno tuning its frustrating , but what can I do?
    Before you installed the new sc, did you feel the rotors for looseness? If they were tight, I bet the noise is coming from the snout, which if I am not mistaken is sealed from the engine intake. From what I've read here, that's most likely the source of the noise. Was there oil in the snout?

And concerning the tune, if you have a list of parts installed, there are shops out there with tunes saved for very similar builds. I bet that you could search here and find a few, hell maybe someone will chime in here with an experienced tuner that could help you.

Also now hearing that you are running 12+ psi those 'New' stock motorcraft plugs is almost definitely the cause of your detonation.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And one more thing i went full throttle once after I heard the detonation (i was frustrated ) 3-4 seconds could I have damaged the engine ?
    And can I drive it back home 30 miles or should I have it towed
    (It sounds like its just one plug the back one on the driver side )

Vader's Chauffer

And one more thing i went full throttle once after I heard the detonation (i was frustrated ) 3-4 seconds could I have damaged the engine ?
    And can I drive it back home 30 miles or should I have it towed
    (It sounds like its just one plug the back one on the driver side )
    First question, yes, that is possible. Second question, does it detonate if you drive it really nicely? If it detonates at idle or <1/4 throttle tow it. If you can drive it without hearing the detonation, you prolly won't kill it.

Here is a chart -that Blind posted in another thread- for your plugs. Again, you can do the work in your driveway. Get the right plugs, pull the sc and find out where its making the noise from, and while that's off you can install the correct heat rated plugs. Then you won't be driving it 30 miles possibly causing damage, and saving lots of $$ in labor!!

Sparkplugschart.jpg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks ! Il see if I can get any of the plugs rated for 12 psi
    Do I need too pull the supercharger to change plugs ?
    I have the snout from the stock supercharger can I interchange them
    the rotors had a little bit of movement but it was minor the stock superchcarger has way more movement and never rattled well it made a brrrrrrrr sound at idle sometimes at idle that's why I changed it but I think the snout is still good

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    If I had noticed a noise in the Lightning SC before installing it, I would have had it checked out and fixed before putting it on.

It may just be the bearings in the nose cone or other problems further inside.

As far as the detonation goes, what gap did the new plugs get installed with?
    Even if the dealer chose to put in the OEM Motorcraft ones they should still be ok if gapped correctly.

On a bad note: if the heads ever had a thrown plug and the PO installed thread certs to fix it sometimes the next spark plug change screws the cert further in and causes it to protrude further into the cylinder which causes more detonation. Just a thought but hopefully this isn't your case.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...lor-chart.html

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well here is the thing does the stock spark plug from a lightning or hd come with a different spark plug then a normal 5.4l cuz I think he just put a normal one and I have no idea if it was gapped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would have done it myself but I have a full time job and on the weekends I'm busy too but I just started now when I put 6lbs of boost more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And why I didn't fix the supercharger is because I removed it from a wrecked lightning with 48k on the clock and paperwork from the port and rebuild at 43 k I thought it was like new and I don't have experience with superchargers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the worst luck with ford vehicles my 07 mustang gt is in storage with a blown tranny
    My 97 f150 the one my parents bought me got stolen and abused and then recovered and is In storage too it runs but burns a lot of oil and has bad rear end and needs bodywork and suspension ,
    and my 08 f150 has a blown tranny and bad tps sensor
    And now the hd going into storage too well the only thing still moving from my cars is my first car the 1993 grand Cherokee it might need a new water pump every couple of weeks but its the only thing that's held up with me
    Well I got a 04 neon rt with a blown engine too

Vader's Chauffer

I have the worst luck with ford vehicles my 07 mustang gt is in storage with a blown tranny
    My 97 f150 the one my parents bought me got stolen and abused and then recovered and is In storage too it runs but burns a lot of oil and has bad rear end and needs bodywork and suspension ,
    and my 08 f150 has a blown tranny and bad tps sensor
    And now the hd going into storage too well the only thing still moving from my cars is my first car the 1993 grand Cherokee it might need a new water pump every couple of weeks but its the only thing that's held up with me
    Well I got a 04 neon rt with a blown engine too
    I would invest in a bicycle with your luck man. They are really easy and cheap to fix. ;)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I could just find a decent mechanic il change the plugs and change the snout of the supercharger and if that doesn't work I will just put it away a few years again until I feel like working on it again

Vader's Chauffer

If you were in Tijuana instead of Ciudad Juarez I would tell you to come over here & I'll work on it...there's gotta be a good Shop in El Paso though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    If you were in Tijuana instead of Ciudad Juarez I would tell you to come over here & I'll work on it...there's gotta be a good Shop in El Paso though.
    Yea i wish i could go there but its pretty damn far .
    Well I have bin searching around in El Paso and there is 2 shops there that maybe worth trying but they mostly work on civics and ricers like that, but the problem is the truck is not registered at this time and it takes a couple months to do that , ( if it doesn't have plates the cops don't know who you are and can't give you tickets they could have the truck impounded but 200 pesos will make it work haha )
    My daily driver has license plates but that doesn't help ..
    There is some good shops a little more into Texas like Dallas and other places but there pretty busy and charge a lot of $$$$

Vader's Chauffer

There is some good shops a little more into Texas like Dallas and other places but there pretty busy and charge a lot of $$$$
    You would be better off (300+ miles closer) looking in Albuquerque, NM, Phoenix or Tuscon, AZ. You would likely save money in these cities for a tuner as well!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast