Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best sub

Name: mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the best sub

Well the other day my sub started burping at me shore enough i blew up up my sub so my question is what the best bang for my buck im running a rockford 1000 watt 2 ome to a 12 inch 12w3v2 jl sub in a stelth box so what sub should i get

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Well the other day my sub started burping at me shore enough i blew up up my sub so my question is what the best bang for my buck im running a rockford 1000 watt 2 ome to a 12 inch 12w3v2 jl sub in a stelth box so what sub should i get
    If I was in your shoes, I would go for a JL 12W6v3, and put it in the stealth box you already have, but that's a $500+ speaker....however it has been stated many times before you get what you pay for when it comes to subs...I have had pioneer, kenwood, infinity and a JL 10w3, and the JL was by far the best I ever owned. None of them were in my HD, but they all had sealed boxes built to the Manufactures specs. I'm sure someone will have more experience in the HD's though might have better advice.

The 12w6v3 will be the way I go when I do build my sys in the HD, in a box similar to BlairTruck's.

Name: Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the original speaker in the stealthbox from JL was a 12w3. They built that box with the cubic space to optimize the sound of that particular speaker. Going to a 12w6 will not give you the best sound in the stealth box. If you went with a 12w6 you'll want to create an enclosure that'll have the cubic space to give you the best performance. I think the problem is you have too much amp for the single 12w3. I don't know what type of music you listen to but the 12W3 is a good speaker. If you listen to music with a lot of low end, it may not have the sound you're looking for. If you want to keep your amp, I'd have an audio shop build you a custom enclosure for a 12w6. I have that in my truck and you won't be disappointed. I listen to everything from Hip Hop to Classical to Country and it sounds amazing.

Vader's Chauffer

the 12w3 had an optimal enclosure displacement of 1.25 cu ft. the 12w6 is 1.0, but it also displaces more air. Granted its not .25 cu ft, but its only .2 off. How much difference can that make?

I don't know, just asking questions at this point.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    I'll be putting an Alpine Type-X in my stealthbox

Just Another Ford Lover
    Name: Jay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've always been a huge JL Audio fan as well. Been an audiophile for the last 16 years and have done a lot of custom installs with a good friend that works at a local custom audio shop and have had a ton of different setups over the years as well. Granted, JL is expensive, but I absolutely love the quality and output. You just can't go wrong with their products.

My question to Mikey is, do you happen to have center consoles front AND rear? Possibly do twin stealthboxes... You definitely have enough amp for it. Or like the rest of the guys said, go with a custom build in place of the rear center console/seat. Heck, you've got enough amp to do a W7... Or if more depth is what you're looking for, maybe step up to a 13 1/2"?
    Last edited by White2012; 08-21-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Just Another Ford Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaHarley View Post
    I think the original speaker in the stealthbox from JL was a 12w3. They built that box with the cubic space to optimize the sound of that particular speaker. Going to a 12w6 will not give you the best sound in the stealth box. If you went with a 12w6 you'll want to create an enclosure that'll have the cubic space to give you the best performance. I think the problem is you have too much amp for the single 12w3. I don't know what type of music you listen to but the 12W3 is a good speaker. If you listen to music with a lot of low end, it may not have the sound you're looking for. If you want to keep your amp, I'd have an audio shop build you a custom enclosure for a 12w6. I have that in my truck and you won't be disappointed. I listen to everything from Hip Hop to Classical to Country and it sounds amazing.
    +1^
    Having the correct air space is definitely CRITICAL for a sub to perform it's best. Budget + sound you're looking for + what you're willing to fit in your ride = A damn good decision! Crap... Sorry for ranting. I just get all revved up when I come across people going through an audio setup decision. I just guess because I enjoy it so much every time I go through it... LOL

Just Another Ford Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    And I just re-read the part of the OP that said "best bang for my buck".... JL has great bang... But also costs more bucks.

Vader's Chauffer

Quote Originally Posted by White2012 View Post
    +1^
    Having the correct air space is definitely CRITICAL for a sub to perform it's best. Budget + sound you're looking for + what you're willing to fit in your ride = A damn good decision! Crap... Sorry for ranting. I just get all revved up when I come across people going through an audio setup decision. I just guess because I enjoy it so much every time I go through it... LOL
    I just remembered reading this too: http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/audio-s...-box-rear.html

With the 11.75" box height you get 1.01 cu ft which is perfect for the 12w6v3, and will only add an additional $50 to the build. This is the box I will build for the 12w6 I purchase when it is system time, as I am 100% stock in the stereo dept right now. I was going to get a stealth box, but for the same price I can build this and hear/feel more!!

Name: mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its looking like jl might be in i dont want to do a custom box or any thing like that i like the stock look

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to correct what I said earlier. In my mind somehow when you were writing about the 12w6 I was thinking the 12w7 which would be waaay to big for the stealthbox. I currently have a 12w7 in my truck in a custom enclosure and love it. I've had 12w6's in previous vehicles and have been very happy with it. Sorry about that the Mountain Dew Kickstart has my brain going 200 mph! Here are a few pics:

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    looking nice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Many moons ago a shop that used to be local to me did a lot of custom install. The owner told me he could take a crappy no name sub and build a box perfect for its specs. Then take the most expensive sub and stick it in a crappy box. Which one do you think would sound better? Answer is the crappy sub in a good box. That being said it is better to find a sub that works in the box you have. I personally hated the factory jl sub in my stealth box. Didn't have enough output for me. I was happy when it blew. I was only pushing it with a 500 watt Memphis amp. I did some looking and chose the alpine type r 12dvc. Leaps and bounds above the jl. Only problem after that was now my amp didn't have enough to reall push it. So I upped the wattage with a jl 1000/1. I've had guys at shows sware I had subs in the bed, only to open it up to absolutely nothing there. I thought about adding a second one and making a custom box for them but for now I'm happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, those pics were taken back in '05 when it was completed. Being in the truck for 8 years and tons of hard pounding music later, it's showing a little sign of wear but still looks good. In that time, the foam started to deteriorate and I sent the sub back to JL for a re-foam a couple years ago.

Name: Matt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'll stick with my orion subs. hcca and/or xtr pros

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast