Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What motivated you to purchase a Harley Truck?

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

What motivated you to purchase a Harley Truck?

Thought I'd start this thread but I didn't want to be the first to enter my thoughts.

Let's get some feedback here.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I saw the truck at the dealer. He had been sitting on it for 2 years and was unable to move it. I didn't really need it, but stopped in an gave him an offer. The next day I owned a brand new 2007 Harley with Saleen package. Today, after over 4 years and 33,000 miles, I can still recover my entire investment.
    She spends a lot of time in my garage parked next to my Shelby GT500 and my HD Ultra Classic. Still looks like new.

Name: Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In 2005, my buddy had a car lot selling mostly used Mustangs. I'd help him out on the weekends doing oil changes an detailing. At the time I had a Ford Escape that i'd owned for close to 4 years. The truck had been sitting on his lot for a couple of weeks and I thought it was a nice truck, leather interior etc...he kept telling me to take it for a spin but I wasn't the truck type of guy so I paid it no mind. One Saturday I was sitting in the truck checking out the interior and my buddy being the salesman tells me to take it for a drive, and he says that i'll end up buying the truck at the end of the day. I'm like yeah right, I know your tricks, it's not going to work. Well, I took it for a spin and I heard the engine rumble of the V8. Then I got down the street ansd stepped on it. WTF???? This is supercharged???? I had no idea. Well after driving it for about 30 minutes, I realized I was low on gas so I put gas in it for him. Then I noticed how dirty the truck was so I ran it through the car wash. Somehow, I ended up driving home, picked up my wife at the time where we both drove back to his lot and I traded my Ford Escape in for my truck. I also own a Mazda MX-5 which I enjoy driving alot. but, when I get into my DSG, and hear the SC whine, I smile like the first day I experienced that sensation.

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    #1 told me about the model and I went out and priced them against three dealerships. got them into a reverse bidding war and Dec 2002 took delivery for a cool $29K tax/tags/license. 140K miles and still running strong

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport90 View Post
    #1 told me about the model and I went out and priced them against three dealerships. got them into a reverse bidding war and Dec 2002 took delivery for a cool $29K tax/tags/license. 140K miles and still running strong
    Oh there is so much more to this story!!!! I told Dad about these trucks before graduating from college in 02 & that this is what I was going attempt to get for myself....little did I know that he took this info and ran with it without telling me. Well come Dec. 02, I get the phone call "guess what I just bought?"

So his story is part of my story for the truck...as I then decided that I wasn't going to have the same year as him so I would get an 03...3 years later in 06, I finally found the truck at a dealer who had no idea what it was...negotiated a stupid low prive for a 30K mile 2 tone and the rest is history.

What sparked my interest in them was since I came back to the US from Okinawa, I always had a truck as it was useful for multiple things and I wanted to stay in one...but I needed to fill that urge & need of speed & wrenching. I knew I had to have at least an extended cab and actually looked at getting a S331 at first...even went into the local ford dealer and asked about one but was told they were a Saleen dealer but wouldn't be getting any of the trucks in for at least another year.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    When I saw the first '03 Shamu paint scheme I thought it was the coolest thing on the block.

I did some research and saw the interior matched too, it had the L drive train with the SC engine and said I would have to have one.

Well I couldn't afford it then, but hurricane Ivan came along in Sept. 2004 and after collecting my insurance check for my flooded 2000 4x4 I started hunting for the HD.

I found mine with 3073 miles in a CarMax. It had come from a doctor in Mooresville, NC who treats the Nascar drivers for head injuries who apparently either didn't like it or just never drove it much during the 2+ years.

Since then, I've put nearly 18k more on the clock and now it gets to rest in the garage a lot.

All of you guys were quick to help me spend my money on mods and contributed with some great ideas but never helped pay for any of the stuff!

To your credit, I guess I've saved a lot though just by being a part of this forum and learning how to mod things right the first time instead of having to do it over and over again until I get it right. Many thanks all!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Much like the rest of you I wanted a nice 4 door truck. I had my heart set on a quad cab Dodge with 4x4 and a hemi. I wanted leather interior and a sunroof. Well they didn't make it. I found a 02 hd at a dealer for a crackhead price. Tyrbed out to be a misprint. Feel in love with it but couldn't afford it. I stumbled onto a lightning and love the power and handling. Put a deposit on it. Next day I found my truck at the dealer across the street. Even though it was s/c I fell in love. Went across the street and the rest is history
    01 hd with a s/c swap, built motor, ported heads, stage 3 cams, whipple 3.4 s/c 4 upper and 4 lower for the street, 3.5 upper and 6 lower when i want to get nasty. wms big inlet and cai, whipple 160 sbtb, punisher built trans, circle d 2400 stall, trick stage 3 i/c, lfp dual pass h/e, triple 255 fps in a fore hat, -10 feed and -6 return, aeromotive reg., jlp rails, 80# inj., ba3000 maf, sct x-cal3, jlp comp r, detroit tru-trac, ta rear diff cover, 4.10 gears, jlp traction bars, metco idler pullies, mp tensioner bridge, hotchkis tvs, plenty of bling and soon to come new mods

#8658, 6/3/02
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A 4 door supercharged pickup that wasn't foreign, chevy or dodge; what's not to like! (Had been looking into supercharged nissan frontiers at the time, glad I went with the eaton m112 instead of the m62)
    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Name: Keith

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Well I had just got out of prison and it had to be something in black, and had to be fast and shiny, NO,NO just kidding, LOL. I found mine in St Augustine Florida, I was riding a 1999 HD Dyna super glide sport and was getting tired of the rain and rocks, so I stumbled through the local auto trader rode down to look at it, and called the guy up got the details worked out, put down the down payment and drove her to her new home, got a decent deal and she was a bit rough when I got her, after lots of work, money and some trading, I got her looking and performing like she does today. I just wish I had a garage to keep her in, oh well, maybe one day. I still need one more thing for her, I need one 2003 seat back logo, if anyone has a spare, lol

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Honestly, dont kill me. Im a GM guy, I waited for the Silverado SS to come out, I was somewhat disappointed when it did, I liked the Lightning but wanted leather, 4 door, sunroof ect, I liked the 02 DSG but for the same price I could a new loaded 03 two tone so I did it, never regreted it.

Name: josh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was looking for a crew cab truck because I needed something bigger than my 01 ext cab ranger and after a few months of looking I ran across the Harley 150. I always liked them when they came out but was always into lifted stuff. After a test drive I was hooked and came home with it

Name: Dave

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    "SUPERCHARGER" and better gas mileage!!!

I had a 91 mustang with a nasty little motor, C-4 and 4.10 gears (bad bad gas mileage)

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Was a the dealer looking at a mustang for my wife saw a black 03 on the showroom floor said one day so two years later I saw one for sale at the dealership looked at it for 3 months took it for test drive had it for 2 weeks keep it 151k still running strong

Oilfield Trash
    Name: tbone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2002 - Saw and sat in a black '02 new on the dealer lot back in high school. Of course loved it, but could in no way shape or form afford one. Knew I'd have one some day.

2004 - Bought my first vehicle, 1994 F-150 Ext Cab 351w. Ended up putting Gen 1 GT-40 heads, 302HO cam, and Hedman long tubes on it. Fell in LOVE with Gen 1's.

2007 - Bought my Gen 1! Black '93 all stock except lowered!

2008 - Bought my 03 Shamu with 44k on the clock. All stock except bedcover.

2013 - Mostly Demodded my Shamu and sold it with 69k on the clock. Next day, bought another 03 Shamu with 66k, full JLP built. Transferred what mods it didn't have already from my old truck. Completely happy!

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    This week's old thread revival. Tell your story.

#8022 L&S oil separator, color matched tailgate handle and license plate bulb covers . Fog light mod ,Venom mod , JLP CAI and JLP rear shackles for a 3" drop out back. More to come.......SOLD ...........no more to come.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast