Thread: Rear wheel bearing replacement on a 2002

Name: Mike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Rear wheel bearing replacement on a 2002

Hi,

I am hearing a strange noise coming from the rear end of my 02 F150HD and was told that it sounds like wheel bearings. It sounds like something is rubbing as it comes and goes. How difficult is it to do wheel bearings? I couldn't find a how to on this forum. And while I am at it, is there anything else that I should replace? I read somewhere that people throw in Carbon-Kevlar clutch packs to beef up the rear end.

Anyone have any idea what this should cost for the wheel bearings if I decide not to try and tackle it myself? Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Fort Lauderdale/Boca raton area that could handle this?

Thanks,

Mike

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    If you don't have the tools to do the rear axle bearings, I'd let a shop do it. I borrowed the tools from tpr103 to do the rear axle bearings on my '85 and it wasn't bad, but without those tools, I would have been fighting it for hours. He had a slide hammer with the attachments for pulling axle bearings, then the inserts for tapping new bearings and seals back in. It was a PITA doing it on the ground with taking the cover off with that stinky gear oil lol.

Upgrading the LS clutch packs is a good idea while it's opened up. I've never done them before though so I can't help you with the difficulty level on that one.

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    off topic- But Josh, glad your back Mr Answer man.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Trying to keep NHTOC on my daily routine of forum surfing! lol

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The noise I hear is almost like a brake rubbing noise that comes and goes with revolutions of the wheel. I have tried lightly pushing on the brakes while under throttle to see if it goes away but its still there. Any ideas what it could be? If it was a bearing, wouldn't I see leakage or movement in the rear wheels? Its not super loud or anything, but its bugging me and I want to figure it out before it causes more damage. Sounds kind of like a light rubbing noise with a wop, wop, wop, wop type of light noise that I hear above about 40 mph. Not too loud, but annoying when you dont know what it is.

My next idea is to have the wheels rotated and high speed balanced to see if that helps. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be?

Thanks,

Mike D.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Have you looked to see if there is anything rubbing on your driveshaft?

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    If I was in your shoes, check the Parking Brakes for a broken return spring, or maybe the Park Brake shoes are worn to the point that the sound you're hearing is the metal of a/the shoe(s) dragging.

You wouldn't necessarily see leakage from a bad bearing, as the seal is a separate from the outer bearings. Also could be possible that something kicked up off the road just right and maybe bent a dust cover on the back side of a rotor and its ever so slightly dragging on the rotor itself.

If while you have it jacked up and you find none of these (including anything rubbing on the driveshaft), you can check the play in the axle itself to determine if a bearing has gone bad.

Let us know what you find

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    All very good ideas. i will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Mike

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miked954 View Post
    All very good ideas. i will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Mike
    Got any updates on this?? I am curious to find out what this sound is...

neenatasnea
    Name: neenatasnea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its not that complicated a process. But still taking it to a shop is a better idea.

02blkharleytrk
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wheel Bearing left me stranded about 2 hrs from home today. Had similar issues as it sounded like the brakes rubbing the caliper. Come to find out looks like wheel bearing has come apart. Anyone have a walk through as to repairing on the side of the road? I was able to get the truck out of the road and baby to get to a elementary school parking lot in order to pulll the wheel. Just honeslty don't have the money to get it towed back nearly 100 miles and to get it worked on at this point.

any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!!

Building-A-Buisiness-While-Having-A-Life