Thread: More steering and suspension questions

Name: Tom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More steering and suspension questions

I have already asked and gotten the answer to swap the steering wheel out for the SVT Lightning style. I have systematically been going through the suspension parts because of bad upper ball joints in the front end (yes I replaced the whole control arm). I also have replaced the end links on the sway bar and I am planning to replace the spring and shock assembly as well. Now my daily driver is a 2007 Volkswagen GTI with an electro magnetic steering system that I have grown accustomed to. It is tight and responsive and just easy enough to steer with one hand. Now short of pulling the power steering out is there a way that I can tighten up how this truck steers through the power steering pump. Right now it feels like it is a 30 year old Cadillac and I don't like it.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Its a truck, not a GTI. Dont think Ive ever heard of any steering type mods to do to these.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    if it feels like a 30 year old cadillac something is wrong, my truck has a very direct immediate steering feedback feel with zero dead space in the center of the wheel. Replacing the worn out parts will go a long way to tightening it up for you.

Granted mine does have the Hotchkis TVS (thicker swaybars front and rear, different springs) with lightning spec bilstein shocks on it, but it handles as tight as any sports car I've driven. I've test driven cars with electric power steering and absolutely hated the numb feel with zero driver feedback that they offer, so YMMV on what you want.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm fairly certain the L has a different steering box to make it a tad more responsive. I know when I had my '04 L I immeditately noticed the difference in steering response and it wasn't just due to the shorter wheelbase or smaller tires. But as for all the work to swap that over, I suppose you could try to find a L owner who swapped to a power rack to buy their factory steering box.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    There is a steering stabilizer damper that some guys put on. I always thought they were for 4x4's with the big ol' tall tires but I've read on here where some of the HD guys have put them on and liked them too.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...er-damper.html

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Yeah the biggest thing the steering stabilizer did was help keep the wide front tires from tracking and wandering the road as much in ruts/grooves in the road. It drove me nuts especially with 295 front tires. The steering stablizer was a great $50 mod to help that.

neenatasnea
    Name: neenatasnea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So what are you planning to do to change it?