Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Southern Truck Shootout --- Oct. 5 2013 --- OKI916's recap

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

Southern Truck Shootout --- Oct. 5 2013 --- OKI916's recap

Was a great event as usually and had loads of fun. There were approx 35 or so trucks that ran this year...not as many as years past but more then the 1st year (IIRC). With a Tropical Storm in the gulf, the date being changed by the track 2 months prior to the event, and of course everyone else's schedules and other commitments I personally didn't expect the turnout to be a record breaking number...but the way I looked at it was...I got to make 11 passes!!!!!

Well...TS Karen decided to move further west in the gulf then expected, so that was great...no chance of rain...but what it did do was take away the cool weather & cloud cover we were going to have...so when we started running at 10am it was already 85...at one point in the day, while in the stagging lanes I looked down and the truck said the ambient temp was 100!!!! So needless to say, I went through 2 1/2 coolers of ice (approx. 8 bags) total for the day.

Charge temps at the beginning of each pass were 115-123 and after crossing the line were at 145. Had to do some tweeking in the tune (big thanks to Tony of Tuners Inc) as first pass of the day saw 9.99 - 10.5 but we got her dialed in after the 4th pass to where I would see 10.8 at the beginning of 2nd and then it would hold constant at 11.0-11.1 through the entire rest of the run.

Dialed in with tire pressure after about the 4-5th pass...due to the heat of the day we settled on 14#'s of tire pressure in the 28X10 Hoosiers (Hot Temp) and she was hooking great.

Didn't get a new PB for 1/4 mile ET but need to go back and look at the slips but believe I got a new PB for 60ft and know for a fact that I got a new PB for MPH...previous best MPH was 116.669 and I know I had a pass that was 121.XXX!!!!

Best pass of the day was a 11.8XX at 15#'s of boost with ambient temp of 90+ degrees

I made it to the 2nd to last round for the 8th mile bracket...dialed in at a 7.70, ran a 7.78 with a reaction time of 0.221 on a 500 pro tree...I was closer to my dial in then the guy I went against but his reaction time was better then mine so at the end of the run he took the win...no biggie, my previous reaction times for 500 pro tree were .899 - 1.12 so I was happy.

Took 2nd overall for the street truck shootout...dialed in at a 11.80 and ran a 11.88...went up against a true bracket racer as he let out, his dial in was 11.35 and ran a 11.36 IIRC...no big deal.

2 great racing moments for me were the following:

1) Guy who has been there last 2 years in a LSX S-10 on a 150 shot has always beat me and is a sneaky guy...lets you sit there while he slowley comes up to the line, etc... Well this year he tried the same thing...so I got up there...staged the 1st light and saw he was sitting back...so I shut her off...he came up staged both lights, well I let him sit and then I started her back up and staged the 2nd light. We left and I took the win!!! Redemption was mine!!!!

2) LJ (Blackberry SVT) was so happy to line up against me...the look on his face when we left was priceless as he was in his L so even though I got the better reaction time he edged me out just a little before the 60ft....his big ol smile went to a look of shock and then disappointment as I went by him...then to hear him describe exactly what I saw afterwards was even better!!!!

Overall a fantastic time and now that the truck is dialed in...give me some ambient tempature's of 58-65 degrees and I know I can get that 10.99 pass!!!

I am #11

Like I said before...pics, and video's to come as I get them uploaded.
    Last edited by oki916; 10-07-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Sport90's #1

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Sounds like a blast! Definitely post some pics of the truck on the track!

Few things that will help shave some time off next time out for getting that elusive 10 second slip...

Give at minimum 45 mins between cool downs, ideally 1 hour, and put a fan in the engine bay to help speed things up. 11 passes in a 6 hour event is probably runs every 20-30 mins I'm guessing? That's definitely cooking, and allowing 1 hr between passes will easily shave a couple tenths off from keeping temps lower for longer.

Lean that a/f out a bit too, 10.8-11.1 is leaving a lot of grunt on the table, you can go to 11.8-12.0 out of the hole easily/safey and 11.5-11.8 on the top end, still plenty fat for safety with race fuel. You can even go as high as mid 12's on race fuel with no worries, but get it up to solid mid-11's to get a bit more grunt and it's still plenty safe with margin.

Jack that tire pressure up! 14 lbs in a 28" tire?! lol That must have been a white knuckle ride on the top end with the azz floating around haha. You want to run as high of a pressure as you can and still hook. WHich may be tough if track conditions aren't ideal, but if you can get to an event where it's hooking, try to get that presure up to 17-18 on those tires. That will help significantly on the top end pick up steam. Just like trying to ride a bicycle with low tire pressure, it can make a big difference, especially in a heavy truck.

LMAO at the "courtesy stage" story. That's priceless!!!

Congrats on the 11 clean passes in a row, that in itself is always a great thing! Now get some pics up!

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Congrats Oki. Sounds like you all had a lot fun too.

Way to represent!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Everything Josh said and IIRC you are running the stock torque converter, a 2600 stall will easily gain you 2 tenths and looking at your 60' and mph you may gain close to .35 to .4
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Sport90's #1

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Give at minimum 45 mins between cool downs, ideally 1 hour, and put a fan in the engine bay to help speed things up. 11 passes in a 6 hour event is probably runs every 20-30 mins I'm guessing? That's definitely cooking, and allowing 1 hr between passes will easily shave a couple tenths off from keeping temps lower for longer.
    Yea, normally I would have let it sit for longer in between but the day was so hot outside anyways I knew I wasn't going to get a new PB for ET...so I figured as long as I could let it cool for a while, cycle through new ice cold water before each run, it would be worth it...just watched all my temps carefully (Trans Temp, Cyl Head Temp, IAT2, etc...)

Lean that a/f out a bit too, 10.8-11.1 is leaving a lot of grunt on the table, you can go to 11.8-12.0 out of the hole easily/safey and 11.5-11.8 on the top end, still plenty fat for safety with race fuel. You can even go as high as mid 12's on race fuel with no worries, but get it up to solid mid-11's to get a bit more grunt and it's still plenty safe with margin.
    Ok..will have to try that as I was running the street tune...got to the track with 1/2 of a 1/4 a tank and put 5 gallons of 112 in her...so I had a little over 1/4 tank when I started running...by the end of the last pass we had just then dropped down below 1/4 tank.

Jack that tire pressure up! 14 lbs in a 28" tire?! lol That must have been a white knuckle ride on the top end with the azz floating around haha. You want to run as high of a pressure as you can and still hook. WHich may be tough if track conditions aren't ideal, but if you can get to an event where it's hooking, try to get that presure up to 17-18 on those tires. That will help significantly on the top end pick up steam. Just like trying to ride a bicycle with low tire pressure, it can make a big difference, especially in a heavy truck.
    Track conditions were great as far as prep and stickyness...SGMP always does a real good job with that and thankfully there were no oil or coolant downs on the track...actually now that I think of it, there was actually only 1 time they stopped us to clean up a very small amount oil on the track.

Truck wasn't floating at all during the runs or on the big end. In fact, the last time at the track I was running a higher tire pressure (air was cooler around 70-75 degrees) and she floated like I was in a Fox Body...as I continued to drop tire pressure it got better...I started out the day at 16#'s cold which was 18.5#'s hot for tire pressure and she floated a little bit...so I continued to drop tire pressure till it read 14#'s hot and she was tracking straight as an arrow down the track...so I am not sure what to tell you on this one.

LMAO at the "courtesy stage" story. That's priceless!!!
    Yea...he did that crap the last 2 years running with everyone. Should have seen his face when he realized that I had shurt her down and was waiting for him to come up and stage!

Congrats on the 11 clean passes in a row, that in itself is always a great thing! Now get some pics up!
    yea...very happy to have made that many passes...working on getting the pics up tonight after I get out of work

Quote Originally Posted by cayman150 View Post
    Congrats Oki. Sounds like you all had a lot fun too.

Way to represent!
    Yea buddy...lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Al View Post
    Everything Josh said and IIRC you are running the stock torque converter, a 2600 stall will easily gain you 2 tenths and looking at your 60' and mph you may gain close to .35 to .4
    Yea, we are still on the stock stall...I so want a 2600 stall but have to focus on other things first before buying anything else for the truck. Once a stall has been done taking the previous PB ET of 11.66 getting .4 out of it will put us at 11.26 and that's on a 93 tune at 12*...so add in a race gas tune and the 10.99 pass should be possible for sure.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    wow didn't realize you still had a stock stall. Definitely an easy 2 tenths gain with a 2600 stall in there!

And that's unusual with the tires, usually they're more floaty as you go lower. But if you can dial the suspension in a bit more to not float as much on the top end, you'll see reasonable gains from running a higher tire pressure from considerable less rolling resistance. Have you checked your long bar U-bolt nuts at the rear axle? They can cause the same symptoms of floating on the top end. Grab a 21mm socket (IIRC) and go give them a crank just to double check. If they tighten up a few turns, I'd definitely start out with higher pressure next time out and go up higher if it hooks. They have a tendency to loosen up over time.

Sport90's #1

wow didn't realize you still had a stock stall. Definitely an easy 2 tenths gain with a 2600 stall in there!

And that's unusual with the tires, usually they're more floaty as you go lower. But if you can dial the suspension in a bit more to not float as much on the top end, you'll see reasonable gains from running a higher tire pressure from considerable less rolling resistance. Have you checked your long bar U-bolt nuts at the rear axle? They can cause the same symptoms of floating on the top end. Grab a 21mm socket (IIRC) and go give them a crank just to double check. If they tighten up a few turns, I'd definitely start out with higher pressure next time out and go up higher if it hooks. They have a tendency to loosen up over time.
    Yea man...stock stall!!!! So wish I had the extra cash when we did the motor to do a stall also.

Funny you ask about the long bar bolts and all...pre-check before leaving as always and found that all could be turned tighter a little bit and one of the mount bolts to the frame had broken off...we replaced with grade 8 and tightened down as far as we could...then I moved up the truck to the collector flange and noticed that on the passenger side all 3 bolts where gone!!!! So needless to say, exhaust leak fixed & random rattle taken care off.

Oh and Amber took the camera with her to Jacksonville yesterday so I couldn't pull pics...she gets home from work tonight at 11pm so hopefully tomorrow I will finally get the pics & vids up.

Sport90's #1

Last edited by oki916; 10-12-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Sport90's #1

Last edited by oki916; 10-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Sport90's #1

Last edited by oki916; 10-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Sport90's #1

Last edited by oki916; 10-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Sport90's #1

Last edited by oki916; 10-12-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Sport90's #1

Last edited by oki916; 10-12-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Sport90's #1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast