Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new from alvin texas

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    Different locations, different tempatures normally. Being he is in TX, I am assuming his temps are similar to us here in Fl. Our trucks run normally 85% of the year at 80+ degrees...this time of year is where I always hear about HD's & L's letting go & chuckin rods as the temps get cooler.

So right that everything is in the tune...but when where you tuned & what was the temp outside? Last thing I would want as a new HD owner is to have someone tell me, go romp on it in cooler weather (60*, 50*, 40*, etc...) without any worry & then I post up saying the motor blew/a rod let go.

Hell, when my motor broke a rod & then destroyed itself it was 72* outside...so it could happen at anytime (but I was also pushing it with a 8# lower on stock block...but I didn't have a crazy tune either...it was considered a safe tune).
    Since he's in TX then it's probably year round that it's >40-50* outside, so year round WOT without worries lol. Just because it's 80+ degrees most of the year doesn't mean the truck can't handle 60*, and if it's 60* most of the year it can handle 40*, it's not a delta off your normal driving temps, it's just the physics of it that colder air is more dense so that freezing temp air can max out a MAF that was fine in 80* air, but 60* air isn't all that cold for throwing a tune that far off.

It's basically one of those if the tune is that close to the edge, it doesn't matter if it's 80* or 40*, it can pop anytime. But if the tune is mild, then it doesn't matter if it's 80*, 60*, or 40*, it's still safe, and only at really freezing temps do you just need to keep an eye on maxing out the MAF. Hotter temps can actually be an easier trigger for popping a motor on the edge of a tune because it's easier to detonate (70's and an 8 lb'er on a HD is a pretty hopped up setup for a stock block). And the reason you hear of so many trucks popping in the cold weather, is because for a bulk of the "motor sploder" club members, they're in regions where it does get really cold (60* is still warm for those lol), and they're maxing out MAFs and don't have proper tunes going WOT with 4th to 2nd gear kickdowns in 30* air. Now if you don't have a proper tune, I wouldn't romp it whether it's 60 or 90 out, but if the tune is safe, the pulley is a typical 4 or 6 lb'er, or the truck is stock, heck enjoy that thing, 60* air it's just waking up, don't waste the fun! lol

Name: noah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    can you please tell me how to take and clean my intercooler without messing anything up...ive never done it before. i just would like to know how to dismantle it and what i need to use to clean it. if any one knows a good video i can watch showing hoe to remove a supercharger and cleaning the inter cooler that would also work, thanks.
    Last edited by odinman30; 10-28-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Here's a link to some vids (Part 1-15) that were done a while back.

jekell101 - YouTube I didn't fill my silencer holes but hey...that's me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks merlin....I won't be filling mine either

I suggest an L&S Oil Separator when done...also we want to see pics of how dirty you intercooler is when you pull the S/C off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no problem ill take pics, but youll have to tell me how to save them to my profile i have no clue how to save them so that people can view them.

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Welcome to the site

Quote Originally Posted by odinman30 View Post
    no problem ill take pics, but youll have to tell me how to save them to my profile i have no clue how to save them so that people can view them.
    Most folks do a Photobucket account and put the [IMG] link around the URL
    Do you need more detailed info?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No ill try to figure it out....and I've been looking on all the websites I can think of and I can't find an oil separator

The L&S Oil separator is tried and true and it only takes 5 minutes to install.
    It may not be the prettiest (bling wise) but it works and is NO maintenance.

L&S Automotive Performance - Oil Separator Article

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok i have changer out my intercooler pump it was not working...truck is running 100% better. i have photos taken but i dont know how to download them so that everyone can see them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2