Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new from alvin texas

Name: noah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

new from alvin texas

hello everyone, i just purchased a 2002 HD F150 a few months ago and im new to having a HD F150. Any advise that can be given to me as to what my first upgrades should be, will be appreciated. Im not exactly sure how or where i nshould start and i surely dont want to mess up my truck, i dont plan on ever buying another truck. I hope to hear from the pros and make some friends...thanks
    Last edited by odinman30; 10-11-2013 at 04:57 AM.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Welcome to the site! Start by grabbing a 6 pack and reading up some threads. You'll quickly get an idea of what's for you, then post up your questions and we can go from there!

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Welcome to the nhtoc. Like Josh (Harley#356) said...this site is full of information on what you can, should, & shouldn't do. Sit back, relax, and get very familar with the search tool...any topic you could think of, search thread titles and you will see all that is available.

Once you have a good base of info, have an idea of where you want to take the truck, then definitely post up some specific questions you have and all will be happy to help.

You will soon see that this question has been asked over and over again and the response's you get could range from basic to full on race truck...so narrow it down for us and you will soon come to find how helpful this community is.

As a new HD F150 owner...here are the basic No No's
    1) No 2 gear kickdowns (4th to 2nd...basically stomping on it when on the hwy...reach up and turn O/D off first).
    2) Be careful in cooler temps...no WOT (wide open throttle) blasts in colder air (I personally say 60* or below) on the stock rods
    3) Don't let the truck shift into 4th (O/D) at a WOT or even on a hard pull...reach up and turn O/D off before you get a heavy right foot

Don't want you joining the motor sploder club!

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Welcome to the NHTOC!

Nice purchase, now get to modding! Enjoy!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for yalls help, ill try to get some pics up soon for everyone to see

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am only having one issue so far, when i ride on uneveb road or hit a bump my truck rocks back and forth for a few seconds before restableizing. I thought it could be that it needs sway bars but im not positive.

Sport90's #1

Quote Originally Posted by odinman30 View Post
    I am only having one issue so far, when i ride on uneveb road or hit a bump my truck rocks back and forth for a few seconds before restableizing. I thought it could be that it needs sway bars but im not positive.
    Our trucks don't come with a rear sway bar...only a front which doesn't really help to stop body roll. If you are talking about rocking forward and back then you may need to replace/upgrade your suspension...shocks specifically may be worn out. Most common change is to the L-Spec Bilstein shocks...its a firmer ride so you feel the bumps more but will have less forward/back roll. Our trucks stock, if I am not mistaken came stock with just regular F150 shocks.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Yup it's Def shocks. Add some bilsteins!

And oki, below 60?? Lol maybe below 32. 60 is still tshirt weather lol

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Welcome

Name: Hank

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Welcome.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the advice guys ill get it done this weekend...I'm doing a pully swap and a tune also

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    WELCOME to NHTOC!

Let's see some pics of your truck.

... ...

The most common are...

L&S Oil Separator, clean the I/C, Pulley, Plugs and Tune.

I went with a 6lb lower, NGK TR6 plugs (colder), and tune SCT or Diablo
    That' a GOOD time to pull the intercooler & clean it. It makes changing plugs easier.
    A clean I/C and a L&S oil separator (not the Home Depot verion) & it'll stay clean.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    2) Be careful in cooler temps...no WOT (wide open throttle) blasts in colder air (I personally say 60* or below) on the stock rods
    Dont let these warm weather guys fool you. If your truck is tuned properly, the computer will adjust for the temps. I beat the sh*t out of mine whether its 80* or 30*. If I could only drive my truck when its over 60*, I wouldnt own it, because better than half the year is under 60*. Like right now, its 39* out. Im bout to go out to breakfast, and I guarantee there will be some sideways action on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post

Exactly!

Welcome to the site!

Sport90's #1

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Dont let these warm weather guys fool you. If your truck is tuned properly, the computer will adjust for the temps. I beat the sh*t out of mine whether its 80* or 30*. If I could only drive my truck when its over 60*, I wouldnt own it, because better than half the year is under 60*. Like right now, its 39* out. Im bout to go out to breakfast, and I guarantee there will be some sideways action on the way.

Exactly!

Welcome to the site!
    Different locations, different tempatures normally. Being he is in TX, I am assuming his temps are similar to us here in Fl. Our trucks run normally 85% of the year at 80+ degrees...this time of year is where I always hear about HD's & L's letting go & chuckin rods as the temps get cooler.

So right that everything is in the tune...but when where you tuned & what was the temp outside? Last thing I would want as a new HD owner is to have someone tell me, go romp on it in cooler weather (60*, 50*, 40*, etc...) without any worry & then I post up saying the motor blew/a rod let go.

Hell, when my motor broke a rod & then destroyed itself it was 72* outside...so it could happen at anytime (but I was also pushing it with a 8# lower on stock block...but I didn't have a crazy tune either...it was considered a safe tune).

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    As sonic And josh said 60 is crazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast