Thread: AWD Pros and Cons

Name: David

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AWD Pros and Cons

Guys,

So before we get too deep into this, had there been any other discussions on here already? I did a quick search but didn't find my answer... but if so, please post the thread link.

I have really a couple of questions... should I run my 2012 in AWD all the time? I like the way it feels but don't want to wear anything out on dry roads, like tires or transfer case etc... also I'm a little worried about hammering on it on dry roads. Will it hurt anything? Can the transfer case hold up to performance driving? Speaking of which, will I get better performance with it on or off? I feel like it launches a little better but my thoughts are, by splitting the power into 4 wheels and adding the lose from driving the transfer case... it would be faster in 2 wheel drive??

So... 1) Should I run it in AWD all the time on dry roads in Texas? and 2) For straight line performance, should I run AWD or 2WD?

What are you thoughts?? (White2012: interesting in hearing from you on this one as well)

Thanks,
    David.

Just Another Ford Lover
    Name: Jay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The only thing I'm really for sure about on this topic would be using the AWD for launching off the line at a drag strip. At least that's how I've always heard the 4x4 diesel guys do it... LOL! As for the rest of your questions, I really can't say. Mine is 2wd so I definitely haven't had the pleasure of playing with the AWD option, but man I bet it would be a blast...
    My line of thinking when I was going through the decision of the purchase was that if I had 4wd/AWD, I would've felt like it would be a waste to have it and not have all terrain or mud tires on it.... And THEN, if I were to have said all terrain or mudders on it, I would've felt like it was a waste to never take them off road... That being said, next thing ya know, I would've had a $50k+ truck in the mud every other weekend and that just wouldn't be a good thing for me. Fun? YES! Smart? Heeeeeeeell no..... LOL! I just aint got it (money) like that... Hopefully someone else can help ya with the rest of your questions tho! Good luck bro!
    2012 F-150 Harley Davidson #3566 4x2
    White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic, K&N CAI w/ filter sock, SCT SF3 w/ custom tunes, Alpine audio processor, LockPick SYNC, JL Audio HD 900/5, JL Audio C5 6 1/2" coaxials in front, JL Audio C5 components front & rear, 2 JL Audio 13 1/2" TW5 subs in custom box, Weather Tech Digital mats front & rear

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    As AWD is an option for you and not a requirement (full time awd), I would not run AWD unless it was needed or desired (off road, wet roads, dirt roads). As an option to run it or not, you will save wear and tear on certain parts in the AWD system by not using it all the time.

Now as for the track...I would play around with it. Launch in 2wd & launch in AWD...what works better for you (better 60ft, 1/8th, and 1/4 mile).

The 4X4 guys launch in 4wd as it does help them get off the line better and ride out...but with that comes issues. Have you ever seen a 4X4 launch who didn't have the proper work/upgrades done? You can tell as the front 2 tires shake, shimmy, and wobble like crazy as it launches and many times I have seen them snap right off the hub, tie rod, or even control arm.

Question I have is --> Can you launch in AWD (if you ever do run someone on the street) and then switch to 2wd after you hit 2nd gear?

Just Another Ford Lover
    Name: Jay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've wondered the same thing Oki, but have never really researched the topic. In theory it DOES seem like it would be the thing to do with getting a better launch and 60' time and then transferring ALL the power to the rear wheels. But like you said, I'm sure there would be a fair share of wear and tear on all components involved... Heck idk... LOL

Name: phil

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    question of the day..there is 2wd and 4 wd and AWD..4WD YOU CAN SWITCH IT FROM 2WD TO 4 WD. AWD IS WHAT IT SAYS...ALL WHEEL DRIVE ALL THE TIME. I have a 2008 hd truck AWD. IT HAS AWD nomal and AWD LOW..NO WHERE DOES IT SAY 2WD AS AN OPTION..

Name: csciam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2010 harley edition has 2wd, awd and 4HI all on selector