Thread: adding boost

Threaded View

Name: Tom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

adding boost

This is not my first 5.4 SC motor in a F150. Actually this would be my third. My question is, with a factory block can you add boost without blowing it up. Tuning is a big issue yes and I understand that. But my first 5.4 SC motor had a 6lb lower, an SCT tune, an intake, catback, and the JLP traction bars. It was a kit that was installed by the previous owner. So on a cool night with a warmish motor at WOT i sent 2 rods through the block. Luckily on that particular vehicle I had an aftermarket warranty and a good friend that worked on a shop specializing in modular ford motors. I return that truck to stock and later totalled it. . I recently just bought the 2003 HD f150. I want it to go faster obviously, but I want to do it to where the damn thing is bullet proof. I bought the "HOW TO BUILD A FAST FORD" and the first thing about this motor says on a cool night with added boost and a few bolt ons that the pistons like to exit the motor on the right side. Reading forums and seeing what I saw when I blew up mine it seems to be a common thing. I don't want the fastest car. In my mind I am looking for numbers. 425-450 hp and a 1/4 mile time in the low 13's high 12's. Basically a truck to screw with all the CORVETTE idiots that show their **** off at Pheasant Run. Can I strengthen the stock block or am I looking at the JLP Long Block? I would like to keep as much of the truck stock as possible. Do I have to add boost to get to the numbers I want? Building a car based on good ole cams and bolt ons? Right now I am running an intake and a catback exhaust. Help me not blow up another one of these motors please
    Attached Images Attached Images