Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here from kansas

Name: zac

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Newbie here from kansas

Just bought myself a 2002 DSG with 55k miles! Cant wait to let the mods begin

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    welcome aboard. Right year, definately right color.
    Nice mileage

PICS
    Slick
    "Suffer No Fools"
    "USMC 1968-2004"
    NHTOC #103
    02 DSG, Born 6/18/02, Adopted 12/27/02
    BG Racing Builder- Ford racing short block,
    Trickflow heads, 6# Lower, Magnum Powers Idler Pulley
    Hotchkiss suspension, D-MR Hood Mod, D-MR Cannon Performance Exhaust,
    Stiffler long bars, JLP street intercooler tank, JLP forced air induction,
    KB waiting to be put on.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    ^^^ He's wrong, but we'll let it slide. 03 Two Tone is best, even his kid will agree.

Welcome to the site!

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ^^^ He's wrong, but we'll let it slide. 03 Two Tone is best, even his kid will agree.

Welcome to the site!
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

WELCOME to NHTOC!

Let's see some pics of your truck.

... ...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    HAHA thanks guys. Just trying to figure the truck out right now. Bought the truck out of AZ and now that its back here in KS the weather is playing a toll on it. I will get some pics when the weather is nice and able to clean it up a bit!

So far the only mods that i can notice right away, is the rear has been leveled, air box has been removed, lower pulley has been swapped out (measures just over 9") and appears that the TB has been replaced.

Im experiancing what I believe to be blow by on my spark plugs, so i ordered a set of NGKs and will get to those ASAP.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Welcome to the NHTOC!

Let the mods begin.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

Welcome to the site!
    Agreed!!!!

Welcome to the NHTOC...nice find on a low mileage 02

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zrated12 View Post
    Im experiancing what I believe to be blow by on my spark plugs,
    Help me understand what you mean...are you saying that your plugs are not seated and therefore are leaking pressure from the combustion chamber? How many plugs do you think are leaking? The '02's were known to have an issue with blowing out the spark plugs due to poor engineering by Ford.

Maybe I am completely on the wrong track, but I am sure that there are many here with lots of experience that would love to help, I just need help with your description of the issue...

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Or he could be having blowout from improperly gaped plugs. The boost goes up, the plugs get tighter.

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Or he could be having blowout from improperly gaped plugs. The boost goes up, the plugs get tighter.
    Ah, spark blow out...got it. Read spark plug blow by and was thinking along the lines of blow by to the crank case but through the spark plugs instead....like they were just loose...silly me.

Thanks for the eye opener Sonic.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thank for the replys. I was told that this truck was in a car collection from the guy I bought it from and that it was supposed to be stock. Those were the main selling points for me. Also the fact that it was a desert truck so knowing that it probably had 0 rust was a bonus.

Yes I am def new to the SC world so at the time I didnt notice that the lower pulley had been swapped. So I believe that whoever put the 9" lower pulley on didnt change the plugs after they did it. At high RPMs the truck has a hesitation. Low RPMs and normal driving it drives great. There are 0 codes in the system and from research I believe that spark blow out is the culprit... So just in case I ordered a set of tr6 NGKs so get the ball rolling.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Good stuff. Sounds like you are on the right path for the fix.

Just a warning....be very careful torqueing the plugs as those heads are probably only 4 thread heads vs. 8 thread on some of the the 2003 models. Others feel that you should probably re-torque again after a few hundred miles on the new plugs once they've gone through a few heat cycles.

Good luck and enjoy!

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    If it was me my first mod would be an L&S oil separator. I'd suggest pulling the intercooler and cleaning it. It is a good time to change the plugs when the I/C is off. At that time you could check to see the exact size of the lower pulley and post it. Also, make sure the truck has a tune for the larger lower pulley and not just running on the stock tune.

Some pics would be nice.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    If it was me my first mod would be an L&S oil separator. I'd suggest pulling the intercooler and cleaning it. It is a good time to change the plugs when the I/C is off. At that time you could check to see the exact size of the lower pulley and post it. Also, make sure the truck has a tune for the larger lower pulley and not just running on the stock tune.

Some pics would be nice.
    Yessir, after reading about the L an S ill be doing that asap. I had to do the plugs first because of the way it runs. I will post some pics this weekend. I was finally able to wash it late last night.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Also, stay out of boost until you get the right plugs in there and get her tuned for that pulley...that hesitation you have up top in the higher RPM range is detonation...last thing you want to do is hurt that motor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast