Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Installed Nitto NT420S 305/45/22

Just Another Ford Lover
    Name: Jay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Z_Monzter View Post
    My truck is AWD, yes it is sitting at stock height and no, I don't have any rubbing issues and I can steer the tire all the way to the end without any issues. I love the way the tire looks over the factory. It doesn't have that low profile look anymore, IMO.

Edwin
    Thanks for the reply on all the questions I had! Greatly appreciated! Now I guess I just need to go turn the front tires to full lock both ways and do some measuring. Mine is 2wd and I'm not sure if there is any difference in the factory ride height vs. an AWD, but I believe if you were able to fit 305/45/22s up front with no rub than I should have NO problem whatsoever with 305/40/22s. I would LOVE to go to a 305/45 like you did for a little extra cushion, but am not sure if it's worth dealing with the speedo/odo issue or paying to have the tunes adjusted.
    2012 F-150 Harley Davidson #3566 4x2
    White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic, K&N CAI w/ filter sock, SCT SF3 w/ custom tunes, Alpine audio processor, LockPick SYNC, JL Audio HD 900/5, JL Audio C5 6 1/2" coaxials in front, JL Audio C5 components front & rear, 2 JL Audio 13 1/2" TW5 subs in custom box, Weather Tech Digital mats front & rear

Name: Erik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i'm trying to get tires that are track only but cant find any for the stock rims and was looking for some advice?

Just Another Ford Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Truck looks great! Still almost wish I got a 2011-2012 HD instead of the Raptor some days. I agree the Pirelli P-zero's are POS tires. Our 2011 Mustang GT came with those stock, and at 30k they were absolutely shot, all dry rotted and cracked on the sidewalls, such a junk tire from a well known brand name.
    As for why guys go with 305/40/22 instead of factory 45 series, it's because the 45 is the aspect ratio, not the sidewall height. Stock size is 275/45-22, so the sidewall is 45% of 275mm, or 123.75mm. With 305/40/22s, the sidewall is 40% of 305, or 122mm. With 305/45/22, the sidewall is 45% of 305, or 137.25mm. So with 305/40 you get a 30mm wider tire that's only 1.75 mm shorter sidewall than stock. With a 305/45 tire you get 30mm wider but 14.25mm taller sidewall (28.5mm overall diameter taller). So guys go with 305/40 to get width but keep the same sidewall height and same overall diameter. Essentially 275/45 and 305/40 don't effect the speedometer or odometer, but 305/45 your speedo now reads over 3% slower, or your showing about 2 mph slower than what you're actually going at 60. Not a huge deal, and easily fixed with a tune, but there's the reason why when guys swap tires, they go with 305/40 instead of 305/45....added width without the added height.

Now all that said, with your truck sitting pretty high, the added height looks good since it helps fill the wheel wells a tad more.
    So just how much would going to a 305/45/22 vs. a 305/40 affect the odometer and also is that something a tune would cure? Really trying to make sure I do my homework and cover ALL of my bases. I plan on buying a new set in April... Which is now, right around the corner. LOL

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White2012 View Post
    So just how much would going to a 305/45/22 vs. a 305/40 affect the odometer and also is that something a tune would cure? Really trying to make sure I do my homework and cover ALL of my bases. I plan on buying a new set in April... Which is now, right around the corner. LOL
    3%, the exact same as the speedo.

Just Another Ford Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    3%, the exact same as the speedo.
    So it would read 3% LESS miles? Also, does a tune have the ability to cure that?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    You can adjust for tire size in the tune to correct the speedo

Just Another Ford Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah I got that part, I am now wondering about the odometer. It should read 3% less miles on the ODO just like it would read 3% less mph on the speedo, correct? And I understand that the tune will correct the speedo, but will it ALSO correct the odometer? Sorry for beating a dead horse here, just trying to make sure I've got my ducks in a row... And thanks again for all of y'all's input!

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Yes, it will correct the odo too. If the speed is right, the ODO will be right.

Just Another Ford Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cool! Makes sense too. I don't know why I always have to hear it from someone else for it to ease my mind... LOL! Thanks Derek!

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White2012 View Post
    Yeah I got that part, I am now wondering about the odometer. It should read 3% less miles on the ODO just like it would read 3% less mph on the speedo, correct? And I understand that the tune will correct the speedo, but will it ALSO correct the odometer? Sorry for beating a dead horse here, just trying to make sure I've got my ducks in a row... And thanks again for all of y'all's input!
    the speedo and odo are calculated based off the same speed sensor, adjust that speed sensor's readings with your tuner and both displays are adjusted at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2