Thread: another newbie in Kansas

Buster
    Name: Bud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

another newbie in Kansas

Just got an '03 with 50K bought it from a Ford dealer in Nebraska. As i contemplate mods; CAI, oil separator, better headlights etc. i've noticed water coming from the tailpipe not just a drip but maybe 1/4 oz. I took a leap of faith on this truck…should I be worried?

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Welcome! I wouldn't worry about that little bit of water.

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Welcome

Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just drove the state roads from KC to Lake of the Ozarks. I've got good power though i've ordered a CAI, i want conversation on handling…don't want to lower it at this time because it still need 'a truck' every now and then. I've got 2 q's; 1- can I add a leaf to get a stiffer tail under load and 2- how can I stiffen the ride for the corners to make my drives even more fun.

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    First upgrade the shocks to some Bilstiens, then Hotchkis TVS sway bars front and rear, or even just an L rear sway bar will make the corners more fun. Could prolly do an add-a-leaf for a stiffer rear, but it will prolly lift it up some, which you might be able to make up for with a drop shackle.

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Vader's Chauffer

Oh and BTW, welcome lol

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    WELCOME to NHTOC!

Let's see some pics of your truck.

... ...

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Welcome! I would rather go the route of helper airbags vs. adding a leaf or overload spring. The airbags wont stiffen the ride at all where the springs would. And at least the airbags are adjustable. You dont need more stiffness in the rear. For the handling, our trucks have no rear sway bar; so start there, and maybe add a panhard bar and it will handle great (with upgraded shocks like mentioned)

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    how much weight are you towing/hauling?

Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank's for the warm welcome…Sorry, traveling keeps me from the Forum everyday. At this point I think I'll put Bilstiens on the corners and see how she rides. I'll get an employee to do any real hauling and limit myself to towing the occasional 4k (manual sz Harley truck…4.5k max). After shocks and CAI (ordered) I'm going for the L&S Separator and a better head unit for the stereo, last night I cranked it up to listen to 'Toby' and it took me 30 sec to get the volume back down the knob wasn't engaging correctly. Any ideas on a nice double din (factory look) w/ipod interface, I checked w/Crutchfield…only 1 dd and no cd port.
    I'll get some pics after we get a couple of nice days and i can polish it.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Welcome to the NHTOC!

Those Bilsteins will sort you out along with the rear anti-sway bar and maybe a pan hard. I have them all and mine rides great but I don't tow anything. I guess it depends on what you are planning to tow.

Kenwood, Alpine and others have great DD head units for our trucks. It requires just about 1/8 inch of trimming from each side of the dash to get those units in properly. It's not that much trouble and the trim ring that comes with them cleans everything up nicely so you never even see where you cut. Not sure, but these days they may even have units that slide right in? Do a search in the Stereo section and see what the latest ones have been putting in.

You're on the right track with the CAI and L&S. The JLP CAI has been a popular item for the performance minded. Next up would be pulley, plugs and tune for the biggest upgrade in performance. After that you need to upgrade the brake rotors and pads for better stopping power.

Geez, you know once you signed up here we can sure help you spend your money!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Vader's Chauffer

There's a ton of double din's out there, and most of them will fit, with a little work: "HOW TO" install Double Din unit in 2003 F150 - F150online Forums

But most of the sites like Crutchfield will say that none of the double din's will fit because they don't want to be responsible for any issues. Most of the guys here have them I'm pretty sure. I don't yet, but will eventually. There are even some threads here about this issue, and the kits to order to make it look like a pro installation.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Works for me.

Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As i'm waiting for my Volant CAI to arrive I started to call around on a DD head unit. Tell me if this is true or not…Every website i checked sd that I would loose the back seat radio control function. can I make the back seat work with an after market unit.
    or (2nd choice) can i pull out the console and replace with a non-cut-out unit (piece of plastic housing), is that something I could buy at LMC? or do I need to go salvage for a complete black console.

Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i got exploded pic for the center console, going with after market Alpine and making a 'dummy' plate with 2 headphone jacks for the back seat, just no controls since aftermarket head units don't have an interface with controls currently in the truck. Another question; '03 Harley trucks don't have DRL?...my 02 SD-XLT had DRL and the fog lights don't work with the auto light controls? any way to make them work?. In my 02 the radio stayed on for several minutes after the ignition was shut off or you opened the door. Nice feature that spoiled me, can i make my new HD have the creature comforts of the 02?