Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: server change - classifieds and gallery WERE down

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Yeah, I need to go into my gallery and save off my earlier pics to a photobucket account that I use now.

Josh is right though. A lot of the pics in the how to's don't display anymore as people have deleted or let their photo hosting accounts expire or those companies go out of business or change names. It happened to me when Kodak sold out to Shutterfly and all of the links changed.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Server Admin - Owner
    Name: Doug

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    Gallery should be back up now

Harley#356 we Fixed the attachment issue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Server Admin - Owner

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    the perk to the gallery is getting larger pics posted, but it's more hassle to use (extra steps vs. attachment button).

I say ditch the gallery, but make the attachment thing work better. Sometimes it loads 5 or 10 boxes with browse buttons, sometimes it loads a window with thumbnails with an upload button, it's not consistent in what it does.
    the attachment features are dependent on the browser you use
    if the browser supports the drag and drop and the view of previous attachments it shows them - if not you get the old school way
    showing you your previous attachments is designed to keep people from uploading the same thing over and over
    Last edited by silver_2000; 02-24-2014 at 11:55 AM.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i'll get both versions using the same browser. sometimes I"ll click attach, one type menu will pop up, I"ll close it and reopen and the other type will pop up. Not a big deal, just a weird bug I noticed.

I'll try attachments later when I update my build thread, but one thing I noticed this morning, is when I open new tabs of NHTOC, rather than the little NHTOC logo, it's just the generic v-bulletin logo in the tab. I'm on an older browser right now at work so not sure if that's it, or if it was a change with any upgrades. The little NHTOC logo was cool lol.

*edit* attachments are working, but is there any way they can be slightly bigger, especially with no gallery? They're 640x360 now which is about the size of my cell phone lol. Any chance we can get 960x540? At least then they'll fill the whole width of the text area of a post when viewed on a 14-15" laptop screen. With the slower traffic on here that really can't be that big of a hit on the system resources.

Last request, we can only attach 5 items, any way we can get that bumped to 10? If some one wants to post 10 or 15 pics of a build or an event, etc., they're going to post them no matter what, so it's either 2-3-4 back to back posts with 5 attachments each, or half the # of posts with 10 attachments allowed each.

*edit again* the attachments aren't working on NLOC now.
    Last edited by Harley#356; 02-05-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    oh my goodness the classifieds show up under "new posts" now.

I couldn't care less about anything else, but that's a win in my book!

Server Admin - Owner

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    the favicon is there - you may need to readd the site to your favorites to see it
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/favicon.ico
    THe attachments on NLOC are now working

Remind me in a few days about the size questions
    Last edited by silver_2000; 02-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    oh my goodness the classifieds show up under "new posts" now.

I couldn't care less about anything else, but that's a win in my book!
    Lose for me as More people will see now when stuff is posted.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_2000 View Post
    Remind me in a few days about the size questions
    reminder!

also another request, is there any way the PM notification can be better? Other than the pop up when one comes in, I don't see unopened PMs. Sometimes a pop up blocker keeps the instant notification from popping up, or sometimes I acknowledge the pop up, and don't want to check them right away, but there's no indication of PMs at the top of each page like other forums or like this one used to have. Was also handy showing the % full at the top. Mine recently filled up and I had no idea till someone PMed me on aother board. I eventually found where it indicated % full, but it's not as obvious as the old layout or other forums. Just another small improvement that could be made to make the site more user friendly and ergonomic.

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Server Admin - Owner

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    there is a PM notification at the top of every page

IN my case it shows Notifications 5 right next to my username

PMs can and usually do also send an email alert - unless you turned it off
    - and the site does a popup when you come back ... Just set the browser to allow popups from here

At the bottom of the PM page is a colored bar graph that shows the number of your messages stored and how close you are to the quota

Im not sure what else we can do ...

here is copy paste from Settings ( up top right )
    General Settings
    It shows the choices you can make

make sure yours are ON
    " Private Messaging

Private Messaging:
    Private Messaging on
    Private Messaging off

This forum features a private messaging system, which allows members to send messages to one another privately.

If you do not want to send or receive private messages, you may disable the private messaging system.
    Receive Private Messaging:
    Only from Contacts and Moderators
    From all members

You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and your contacts. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.
    Email Notification of New Private Messages:
    Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages
    Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages

The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.
    New Private Message Notification Pop-up:
    Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up
    Don't show New Private Message Notification Pop-up

If you are browsing the forums when you receive a new private message, the system can pop-up a notification box informing you of the new message.
    Sent Private Messages:
    Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default
    Don't save a copy of sent messages

When sending private messages the forum can make a copy of the message in your Sent Items folder.

"

Server Admin - Owner

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    Harley#356 You have already uploaded nearly 500 more attachments than any other registered user
    Code:
    Attachment statistics 
     	21,887 / 21,515
    Total Downloads 	4,050,371

Five Users Whose Attachments Take Up the Most Space
      	 User Name 	Attachments 	Total Size 	 
    1. 	Harley#356       1,005               58.51 MB 	
    2. 	dermaestro 	570 	                36.78 MB 	
    3. 	Dbl G 	        407 	              27.15 MB 	
    4. 	oki916 	        456                 24.05 MB 
    5. 	kromdom 	         503          	22.50 MB
    Last edited by silver_2000; 02-18-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    you werent here for the pic whore days.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    there is a PM notification at the top of every page

IN my case it shows Notifications 5 right next to my username

PMs can and usually do also send an email alert - unless you turned it off
    - and the site does a popup when you come back ... Just set the browser to allow popups from here

At the bottom of the PM page is a colored bar graph that shows the number of your messages stored and how close you are to the quota

Im not sure what else we can do ...
    ]
    That's notifications for everything. Mine says 64 New Notifications.....I ignore it because those notifications are 1 friend request and 63 likes. I think the "friend" thing on forums is silly, that's what facebook is for, adding friends on a forums is kind of a totally useless feature IMO. And I post so frequently, and usually always putting info or answering questions so my posts quite often get "likes", but personally I dont' really care about when a post of mine gets new likes, so I don't spend the time to go back to see who liked what post. It's like getting home and looking at my answering machine with 42 messages....rather than listen to the 41 telemarketing messages and the 1 newspaper trying to sell me a subscription, I ignore it. It'd be nice to just have something big and bright at the top that notified of new PMs on every page you're on. PMs are important and 99% of the time need responses. Likes and friend request notifications are pointless.

Is there a way to turn those off, so then the notifications thing only notifies me of PMs?

And the pop up alert only pops up once the first time you log in with a new PM. If you ignore it to go look something up, when you come back the next time it doesn't notify you of the still unread PM. And pop up blockers can sometimes block it totally. And email notifications I have shut off, or for an email I don't use frequently. I use email for email, I use NHTOC PMs for HD discussions, I use LR for L discussions, I like to keep NHTOC PMs on NHTOC, not email to go to NHTOC, etc.

And I see the total PM box size is at the bottom, just a simple request to move it to the top. I don't clean my PM box every day, and I get a LOT of PMs. I have 177 messages in there right now. I usually let it go to almost full, then go back and mass clean it. I click on a new PM at the top, read, respond, and go back to forum cruising. I never scroll 14 pages down to the bottom of the PM box to see the bar indicating how full or empty it is. If that was at the top, I'd see it every time i check my PMs without scrolling down to the bottom.

Yes I could clean my PMs more often, yes I could scroll down to the bottom every time, Yes I could acknowledge every friend request and like notification, or a couple forum tweaks could make it more user friendly and "ergonomic". Yeah it all sounds picky, but it's not like I'm a forum newbie. I've been a "power user" since 2000 between f150online, nloc, nhtoc, and lightningrodder, I probably have over 100,000 posts between the sites over the past 14 years.

Harley#356 You have already uploaded nearly 500 more attachments than any other registered user
    Code:
    Attachment statistics 
     	21,887 / 21,515
    Total Downloads 	4,050,371

Five Users Whose Attachments Take Up the Most Space
      	 User Name 	Attachments 	Total Size 	 
    1. 	Harley#356       1,005               58.51 MB 	
    2. 	dermaestro 	570 	                36.78 MB 	
    3. 	Dbl G 	        407 	              27.15 MB 	
    4. 	oki916 	        456                 24.05 MB 
    5. 	kromdom 	         503          	22.50 MB
    So you're trying to say what here? I've posted too many pics over the ~12 years of NHTOC so I should stop putting pics up and leave the site??? I also have over 30k posts here, so my % of posts using attachments probably isn't much higher than anyone else, I've just supported the forum for an extremely long time. So does that mean I should stop posting here and sharing info, mods, advice, how-tos, and answering questions? I'm the only one out of those top 5 besides oki who is still around.

And 1,005 attachments since the dawn of NHTOC 12 years ago for a whopping 58.51 MB of space? That's 0.38% of a single gmail email account space. ALso with the drastically reduced traffic of NHTOC now days, a slightly bigger image size allowed from attachments wouldn't impode the site.

Just a few more statistics for a pointless point.....

Harley#356 - 1,005 attachments in 32,209 posts - 32 posts for every 1 attachment
    dermaestro - 570 attachments in 3,868 posts - 6.7 posts for every 1 attachment
    DblG - 407 attachments in ??? posts - banned
    oki916 - 456 attachments in 4,828 posts - 10.5 posts for every 1 attachment
    kromdom - 503 attachments in 6,472 posts - 12.8 posts for every 1 attachment

I'm using 3 to 4 times less attachments for every post then those other top 5 users.

Server Admin - Owner

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    This isnt Google. NHTOC makes almost zero revenue. So the idea of opening things up and allowing larger attachments because the traffic is down is counter to the fact that it isnt self supporting. Ive already changed the image size some.

The processes, quotas and limits in place here are in place to keep the site up. As you said, most of what you want is already there you just want it different, or easier for you.
    The system is designed so that different levels of members have different levels of access. If registered members are given access to everything with no limits then there is little incentive for people to support the site and become supporting members. Supporting members are what are keeping the doors open here.

I appreciate your participation, and your input.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Understood, I guess the root of my point is most all other forums do someof those simple things that don't take up more space like inidicating PMs at the top of the page, and putting mailbox full at the top of the PM box instead of the bottom, for easier forum ergonomics. The loss of the user cp button on this version of vbulletin also makes things a little less user friendly compared to most forums.

Understand the larger images take up more space, but with already killing the gallery, and the slow forum traffic anyway, didn't see allowing the few of us who still post to put up normal size images a big deal breaker. It actually helps encourage forum activity having decent size photos to post and see. When they're tiny and limited to 5 a page, I'd rather go post on LR where they're big and 10 a page, yet that's a double edge sword because I'd rather support NHTOC's activity than LR owned by AG. Simply some requests and feedback to help make NHTOC a better forum.

Server Admin - Owner

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    I really do appreciate the input - the reason I asked the question about the gallery was to see if anyone cared. If no one cares then there is no reason for me to spend my $$.

The gallery is not closed - I spent the $$ to upgrade it and its staying.

I have no interest nor intention of chasing Lightning Rodder and matching their settings. They are still running VB 3.x which is why the site looks different. To remain secure and supportable, before too long they will be forced to either upgrade to 4.x or 5.x or change to another forum software. We moved ahead to stay secure and supportable. Its not possible nor desirable to change VB 4 to look just like VB3 - I understand that its what people used for the past 10 years and I understand people dont like change. But Im not looking at making decisions based on where buttons or controls are, I make decisions on whether the site is hacked or not, whether it will be available for members in 2 years.

the attachments and the images in the gallery are set to max 1024 largest single dimension

One of the reasons I limit the disk space that the forums take up is this server hosts 5 copies of VB for 5 sites, and about 100 other accounts for smaller static sites. The revenue generated from those sites helps keep NHTOC open.

I backup the server 2x a day and try to keep 30 days of backups. The backup space isnt free and I cant poick and choose what gets backed up by folder its by account. So again
    because Im making decisions for the long term viability of all the sites, I put reasonable limits on the attachments and the gallery.

And finally there is no reason you cant upload pictures to any of the dozens of image sites and link them here.

User CP button was changed to the settings button - same function different name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast