Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: server change - classifieds and gallery WERE down

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Name:

    BlairTruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    3,936
    Like
    7
    Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    thanks

  2. #32
    World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

    Harley#356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    31,073
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_2000 View Post
    User CP button was changed to the settings button - same function different name

    holy cow.....THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

    For almost 15 years I've used the usercp page as my linked "home" page for every forum I'm on since it's got my unread PMs, my unread subscribed threads, and the sections I'm subscribed to when I don't check every section of a forum. I haven't touched any settings in years and years and years so I never clicked on that one since the upgrade, I thought the usercp page was lost, and I felt a little lost after so many years using that as my starting point/home base of the forum lol. That alone helps a lot, now I can update my favorite bookmark to that page!

  3. #33
    World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

    Harley#356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    31,073
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_2000 View Post
    the attachments and the images in the gallery are set to max 1024 largest single dimension

    One of the reasons I limit the disk space that the forums take up is this server hosts 5 copies of VB for 5 sites, and about 100 other accounts for smaller static sites. The revenue generated from those sites helps keep NHTOC open.

    I backup the server 2x a day and try to keep 30 days of backups. The backup space isnt free and I cant poick and choose what gets backed up by folder its by account. So again
    because Im making decisions for the long term viability of all the sites, I put reasonable limits on the attachments and the gallery.

    So I can't attach any more photos. It says my quota is full. Seriously? Now I have to delete photos in my how-to articles, tech info, and informative posts to help members out, so I can attach new photos? I use the attachment feature because it retains the photos to the post no matter what. Outside galleries lose the images after so long of a time when outside galleries shut down, change link URLs, etc.. Attachments keep the info posted on NHTOC permantely in the posts so old info that's searched up and read quite frequently is still there.

    Is there ANY way to get the attachment limit taken off? It's not like there's all that much action on this site anyway, and not like i"m only posting in off topic threads in the lounge attaching pics of random BS, it's all harley truck related photos.

    So far all of these "improvements" to the site has gotten rid of our gallery, reduced the image size for photos, capped the attachment allowance, and changed the format to a less user-friendly layout than the old one. Just frustrating trying to still support NHTOC but the site changes "for the better" are not making things much better IMO.

  4. #34
    Server Admin - Owner
    Name: Doug

    silver_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    126
    Like
    1
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    So I can't attach any more photos. It says my quota is full. Seriously? Now I have to delete photos in my how-to articles, tech info, and informative posts to help members out, so I can attach new photos? I use the attachment feature because it retains the photos to the post no matter what. Outside galleries lose the images after so long of a time when outside galleries shut down, change link URLs, etc.. Attachments keep the info posted on NHTOC permantely in the posts so old info that's searched up and read quite frequently is still there.

    Is there ANY way to get the attachment limit taken off? It's not like there's all that much action on this site anyway, and not like i"m only posting in off topic threads in the lounge attaching pics of random BS, it's all harley truck related photos.

    So far all of these "improvements" to the site has gotten rid of our gallery, reduced the image size for photos, capped the attachment allowance, and changed the format to a less user-friendly layout than the old one. Just frustrating trying to still support NHTOC but the site changes "for the better" are not making things much better IMO.
    Josh
    The gallery isnt gone its, right here , also at the top of every page is a button called gallery. It took it down for a week or so in Feb when I posted this.

    One way to get more space for attachments and gallery images is to become a supporting member.

    Any files added to the gallery here are just as permanent as attaching to the forum.

    Im guessing 2014 has been a tough year for you so far because you seem angry. And you are mis-characterizing the "improvements" as bad. The server is faster, more stable and more secure. The attachment allowances are larger than before, the image sizes are larger than before. The version of Vbulletin we are running is an upgrade from what the site was built with, but we delayed moving to it till the last possible moment. I understand that people dont like change. All the features the old version had this one has the same features plus more. In this version some things moved or the buttons changed. I cant undo that. Spend a few minutes to familiarize yourself. You asked previously to allow larger images to be attached. I did, one downside to that is that you will hit the quota faster.

    Im sure there are many sites still running Vbulletin version 3. They are all much more susceptible to hacks and problems. Vb4 was released in 2009. We waited 4+ years to upgrade. Vbulletin 5 was released early last year. Before too much longer all the sites running Vb3 will need to either upgrade or change to one of the other forum software brands.

    I appreciate your contributions and your energy and passion for the site however, these repetitive, angry rants about how little you like the work Ive done on the site is not the way to get what you want. Some constructive feedback is welcome.

  5. #35
    World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

    Harley#356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    31,073
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Sorry if it's coming off as angry. I appreciate that you still support the site and run it rather than shut it down or sell it off. It just gets frustrating when I go to use the forum in a similar manner that I have since day 1 and functionality is different. Not just moving buttons, but caps on attachments, caps on image sizes, less ideal layouts on some stuff, etc. I helped found NHTOC back in 2002, and did a ton of work helping Dwight to set the site up, setup the forums, setup the layout, get everyone to make the jump from f150online, moderate, administrate, etc.

    It's like building a car for years, selling it off, then getting to go for a ride in it later on and the new owner changed some things out that you thought were ideal and the new owner thought differently. It's still in good hands, but it's still frustrating since it started off as your baby and now it's doing it's own thing.

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Name: Keith

    3653 Owner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hinesville Ga
    Posts
    565
    Like
    11
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Doug, can you make a button on the search results so that you can post a new thread?? And PLEASE, take off the ads for us paying members, annoying. I know the site costs money,but I'd pay an extra 5 or 10 bucks a year as a PAYING member to not have to see those dang banner ads. Thanks.

  7. #37
    Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

    SoCal Waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SanDiego
    Posts
    983
    Like
    260
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Doug, while we are at it...lol...I noticed that the in the Image Uploader, when chosen from computer, the select files button is inoperative. So the Basic Uploader to select a file to upload 1 at a time. With the other not basic uploader we could select several pics at once and upload them all at the same time. Can you bring that back? Or is it just me/my browser?

    Thanks-

    broken button.jpg

  8. #38
    Server Admin - Owner
    Name: Doug

    silver_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    126
    Like
    1
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    Doug, while we are at it...lol...I noticed that the in the Image Uploader, when chosen from computer, the select files button is inoperative. So the Basic Uploader to select a file to upload 1 at a time. With the other not basic uploader we could select several pics at once and upload them all at the same time. Can you bring that back? Or is it just me/my browser?

    Thanks-

    broken button.jpg
    In my previous conversation I referred to security issues in the older unsupported version of VBulletin
    Well in this more supported version there is a security flaw that Vbulletin has yet to repair - the "fix" to repair the security issue - breaks that upload button ... sorry

    Update - I found a 3rd party hack that fixes the upload - but for some reason it doesn't work in Firefox

    Confirmed it worked in Chrome
    Last edited by silver_2000; 03-21-2014 at 06:12 PM.

  9. #39
    Server Admin - Owner
    Name: Doug

    silver_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    126
    Like
    1
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3653 Owner View Post
    Doug, can you make a button on the search results so that you can post a new thread?? And PLEASE, take off the ads for us paying members, annoying. I know the site costs money,but I'd pay an extra 5 or 10 bucks a year as a PAYING member to not have to see those dang banner ads. Thanks.
    Im not sure what you mean by the search results page - there are MANY search results pages
    In 2014 ads are part of the web experience - paying members already see less than non paying members. Since the paying members are also the ones who generate the most page views eliminating the ads for the people who see the site would end up shuttering the site ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •