Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 03 front suspension noises

Name: Steve

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

03 front suspension noises

Recently my truck has started to have creaking sounds at low speed backing out of driveway or slowly going through parking lot noticeable creaks as it goes over the parking lot as it isn't flat same for driveway.

It also makes noise when getting into truck you can hear the creak as the suspension adjusts for my weight not a lot but it's there.

It has Bilstein shocks all around new XRF front control arms and ball joints XRF lower ball joints and replaced the rubber bushings on the end of the front sway bar with XRF parts. Installed a few years back new Pittman and idler arm installed parts are Moog

It's started to eat the front tires up in a short time by wearing all the tread off the inside edge of both tires. Doesn't pull either way tracks straight.

It has a clunking noise when turning but it not just at full lock so I going to put the washers in just to eliminate that potential issue

Also are these the cam alignment bolts that are discussed here

http://www.lightningforceperformance...amber_kit.html

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Last edited by 03HDSVT; 02-08-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Name: Jake

Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    It sounds like you need lower control arm bushing and a front end alignment. You can buy the bolts in the link at any auto parts store. Roughly $50.

Email is fast..... Jake@3rdrowinnovations.com

Have you checked your front wheel bearings? If it's making the clunking noise without full lock they could be going out. Might explain a few of your issues.....

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    I'm curious as to what tires you're using. From my experience, the higher the tread rating the longer they will last. Even with alignment issues. But, the first question is 'are you lowered in the front? Inside tire wear sounds like a camber issue and not enough adjustment to correct, if you are lowered. Stifflers adjustable UCAs are an expensive solution. I've had miserable results from XRF ball joints. I know, million mile warranty. I had both fail within 12 months. As far as the creaking, I would suspect the front springs.
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Al View Post
    I'm curious as to what tires you're using. From my experience, the higher the tread rating the longer they will last. Even with alignment issues. But, the first question is 'are you lowered in the front? Inside tire wear sounds like a camber issue and not enough adjustment to correct, if you are lowered. Stifflers adjustable UCAs are an expensive solution. I've had miserable results from XRF ball joints. I know, million mile warranty. I had both fail within 12 months. As far as the creaking, I would suspect the front springs.
    It's stock height, I did put the L Bilstein shocks on the truck XRF up front, based on recomendations here and f150online, lightening forums etc.

Its got Falken tires and I got them because they have a long tread life rating, got tired of the goodyears that dissolve in FL quickly.

Its odd that it started wearing the inner tread on both sides at the same time, it was aligned when they were installed and came out
    fine according to the sheets I saw

I hear the noise generally the most after it has sat overnight, have to try and get it recorded, I drive it maybe 9K a year now, back
    and forth to the store or office. I'm wondering if the wear and the noise are related as if something is off or worn, I do hear some popping
    noises when turning the steering wheel from time to time.

After it's run a while I don't hear it as much...

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Look at your cam bolts and see if they have moved. If not, then I don't think the two are related. You're not lowered,not running a soft tire, your alignment is off.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Yeah I got that, but its sure strange it is wearing both fronts exactly the same

The noises are driving me nuts... makes it sound like an abused farm truck...

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Both sides doesn't sound strange...the alignment is off. Do you have adjustable camber bolts? Makes the alignment much easier.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    no I'm going to put them in, but the truck is an oh three and I've owned it new from the dealer
    it's never done this to a set of tires, once the outside edges wore a bit, but generally the rears
    are gone first very carefully driven, at my age I am not a hot rodding teen even though
    the supercharger does get used often to full max...

It's pretty easily driven I doubt I get to 50 mph on the way to work.
    wife doesn't drive it much at all and my post teen daughter doesn't
    get to drive it she has her own car

anyway when I noticed it wearing the shop said it needed a new idler arm
    and pitman which I replaced, before they would do the alignment...

My concern is if the noises are an indication of other things that need
    replacement before I spend bucks on two new fronts and an alignment..

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

I feel for you Bro, I replace my fronts every year. Inspect your upper ball joints. Again I had no success with XRF.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    thats wrong until the recent issues my fronts have always been fine.

I've had good luck with XFR

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    You can hear the squeak/creak sound at slow speeds where the suspension travels and it doesn't have to move far up or down

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03HDSVT View Post
    You can hear the squeak/creak sound at slow speeds where the suspension travels and it doesn't have to move far up or down
    the squeeking could be ball joints, ti-rods, swaybar bushings, or swaybar endlinks.

there's only so many parts that move when the suspension moves and the steering turns the wheels, jack it up and get under there with a long pry bar to find out what is causing it!
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well it's got new ball joints and swaybar endlinks from XRF (a year or so old)
    might as well replace the bushings not too expensive, whats the bar size I see 29 and 32mm
    on Rock Auto..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast