Thread: Rear end question

Ryan F
    Name: Ryan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rear end question

Ok I feel a little retarded asking this but here it goes. When someone says "you're rear end is shot and needs to be replaced," what is he specifically referring to? Is this the gears or the whole axle or what? I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get this done but need to know what exactly I'm looking for. Again I feel like an idiot asking this but my knowledge is somewhat limited.

Also if anyone has any ideas of where to find what I need I'd appreciate that too.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    you should ask the person/mechanic who told you that for the clarification you are looking for. It could be anything really.

the cheapest and easiest way to repair a rear end will always be buying a complete rear end from a junkyard and swapping that in yourself, it's just a handful of bolts to do.

Ryan F
    Name: Ryan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    gotcha. thanks for the input

Name: Marshall

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Common failure is carrier bearings. If the outer case is not damaged, it can be rebuilt. If you're thinking about a gear swap or posi-traction, now's the time. If you want to keep it stock, the junkyard option is most likely the cost effective option.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RazzBarlow7 View Post
    Common failure is carrier bearings. If the outer case is not damaged, it can be rebuilt. If you're thinking about a gear swap or posi-traction, now's the time. If you want to keep it stock, the junkyard option is most likely the cost effective option.
    the stock rear end has limited slip, fords version of chevy's "posi-traction"