Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New To the Harley's But MPG is Killing me..

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I've only tracked 4 tanks with fuelly, and 1 was driven by my wife for a week (11mpg)

I don't know how she does it, I beat on it and drove it to work for a week and got 13.4 and my commute is 1.5 miles each way (horrible for gas mileage in anything)

On all freeway, I got 17mpg with it the only time I tracked it in this app, which is typical for what I've seen for the 5 years I've owned the truck.

2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    12.7 around town. 14.1 highway. Once on a trip to Daytona, no AC, 65 mph, I got 17 mpg.
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    I beat on it and drove it to work for a week and got 13.4 and my commute is 1.5 miles each way (horrible for gas mileage in anything)
    When you say beat on it and 13.4 mpg I have to scratch my head....I know you're a smart dude, but I have to ask, you did correct the speedo for the 22's right??

JK, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how you do that...my commute is 10.4 miles twice a day, all in town with lights and such. It doesn't matter if I beat on it or drive with an egg under the throttle, I get (manually calculated miles/gallons) 10.3-10.9mpg, period. In your 1.5 mile commute do you have stop lights in there at all?

Anyways, congrats on that mileage, your truck is a fluke....or maybe its your mods, who knows but I'm jealous!

Word

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    When you say beat on it and 13.4 mpg I have to scratch my head....I know you're a smart dude, but I have to ask, you did correct the speedo for the 22's right??

JK, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how you do that...my commute is 10.4 miles twice a day, all in town with lights and such. It doesn't matter if I beat on it or drive with an egg under the throttle, I get (manually calculated miles/gallons) 10.3-10.9mpg, period. In your 1.5 mile commute do you have stop lights in there at all?

Anyways, congrats on that mileage, your truck is a fluke....or maybe its your mods, who knows but I'm jealous!
    yep I changed the speedo to correct, the speedo matches what my passport 9500ix (gps) says, my pioneer double din gps, and my cell phone running waze.

There's 2 stoplights on my commute.

When I'm on the highway going 70-80mph I drive with an eye on my boost/vacuum gauge, I try to keep it always at -10, and on hills I kick o/d off to rev it up and keep it at the most 0psi. If I don't do that, to maintain 70mph on a steep hill I'll see 5-8psi on the gauge. That's a lot of throttle and fuel being wasted, it's much better in my experience to let the rpm's go high and use less throttle. (I can see 15-16psi max depending on the weather)

By beating on it to work, I mean I accelerate quickly, usually ~5psi on the gauge, then once I get to the limit for the street I'm on, I let it settle down to -10 or so, which is a very light touch on the pedal. I've found getting up to speed quickly is better for around town mileage than slowly accelerating for a longer time. Better to get to that lean burn cruising speed of 40-50mph faster.

However, as I tuned the truck myself I also have a wideband gauge right in front of me, and I have the 70-80mph cruise at -10 vacuum dialed in exactly to 14.7 a/f...so there is that ;)

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Well that makes more sense, I don't have the boost or a wideband gauge, or a real tune, or any of the other mods you do either, so that could be part of my issue.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    I beat the snot out of mine everytime I drive it. It's a toy, not my DD. I live out of the city now, so I don't ever get "city only" driving, but I average 13 mpg mixed driving. Strictly highway, I get about 15.5 if I fill my tank in Oregon, and 17 mpg if I fill my tank in Washington. I guess they have less sh*t in their gas. I'm not stock either, 438/520 on the dyno with the 22's; and high 12's at the track. Yes my tune is adjusted for the tires.

Name: Jake

Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    I don't watch the Gallons per mile....it makes me cringe

Email is fast..... Jake@3rdrowinnovations.com

Name: JR

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I was getting 13 mpg on my stock setup, well see if the mods help or hurt me!
    2002 HD F150 #5226 (366hp/471tq)Mods(LFP kit) 6lb Lower, SBTB, Boost Bypass, Oil Sep, Dual Idlers, TR6 Plugs, SCT X4, EGR & EVAP Delete, Volant CAI, Flow Master Exhaust, Hollowed Cats, Pillar Boost Gauge, 35% Front Tint, Smoked Headlights, Chrome Lower Grille, Altezza Taillights, Smoked 3rd Light, Brake Controller, Bug Deflector, Vent Visors, LineX Bedliner, 2" Drop Shackles, Traction Bars, Punisher VB, 4x4 Pan

Name: Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I spent $850 on a little beater with 86k...look long enough and you will find a kick *** deal. Going from 13 on the highway to 31-34 paid it off pretty damn fast, especially since my average drive to job sites is about 40 miles. Now every time I fill up my tank I throw $30 in a jar for the mods on the truck

Word

life's too short to drive a ****ty car, IMO.

but to each their own

Name: Dale

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    A $1k bed cover doesnt seem great for 1 mpg.

But it is good to keep stuff from getting wet, lol

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastjohny03 View Post
    I Do driver her most off the time, Now since you mention weight Im thinking about removing My spare and bed cover that should drop few lbs and doing a electric fan, I already have a 18" fan but need the wiring. Also what do you mean by O2's sensors is that an upgrade?
    I've got a vinyl bed cover, an e-fan using one from a Mark 8 and didn't even get a spare tire w/ my truck...it's not going to make a huge difference, you're still going to get single to low double digit MPG's. Replace the pre-cat 02 sensors because those are the ones the ECU uses to read and adjust your A/F ratio. They get old after time and should be replaced every 100k no matter what.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastjohny03 View Post
    Its Not that aight man enough I have 2 03 Cobras and BMW E39 M5 and the Harley out off those I like my truck! Its just think that their might be a way to do something to them to help increase??
    I've got a 6spd swapped E38 740iL, E34 M5 (sold my E39 because I like the E34's handling better), and I DD between my E53 X5 4.4 and the Harley. At the end of the day if I need mileage, I ride my TL1000R. Honestly, it's a truck...heavy, crude, geared like a truck, etc...there's not really much you can do. That's like a Prius driver asking how he can make his car go faster...it's the wrong vehicle.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    A $1k bed cover doesnt seem great for 1 mpg.
    Who's paying $1k for bed covers?! I think I paid like $120 shipped for my "N-Dure off eBay and it works great.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    life's too short to drive a ****ty car, IMO.

but to each their own
    Exactly...I've never understood the ******ity of "lets drive a little death trap to save gas mileage, but when I die in said death trap from being cheap, then what's the point of saving the money if I can't enjoy it". I had this same discussion w/ coworkers about buying my son a nice used BMW (I'm a BMW for the most part) and they're like "he's gonna wreck it!", to which I said "you're right, and he'll walk away from it too!"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast