Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New To the Harley's But MPG is Killing me..

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaoss View Post
    Why isn't anyone talking about rear end gears?
    Cause it wont be much different IMO. Unless you go to a 3.08 or something. But that is no fun. A few have gone 3.55 and some have gone 4.10s.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    Cause it wont be much different IMO. Unless you go to a 3.08 or something. But that is no fun. A few have gone 3.55 and some have gone 4.10s.
    Yep, those that have done gear changes (and tire size changes for that matter) have posted "negligible difference in mpg".
    Your rpm at a given speed will change but you still have the load of getting a 5000+ lb truck up to speed and maintaining that speed.
    In theory, weight reduction should improve mpg but I think that would be negligible also.
    The best way to improve mpg is a good tune.
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braker85 View Post
    That would leave only the a/c compressor and the ps on the drive system and the blower
    the a/c compressor acts like an idler pulley with zero load unless you're running the a/c, and even then it switches off at WOT and only runs the compressor for under 10 seconds as it cycles. It puts a large load on the engine when it does cycle for, lots of tests have shown you can get 1-2 mpg better by not using a/c and keeping the windows up on the highway.

I always leave mine set to auto and 69* though, I would rather be comfortable

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Al View Post
    I hope you're being a little dramatic with this statement. A safe street tune should be safe at all loads.

Need some clarification, is your 14* tune a pump gas tune or are you burning a little left over race fuel on the street?
    Not being dramatic at all...words from his mouth. No WOT on MPG tune as it is not safe for WOT, it will lean out. The MPG is not what I would consider a street tune...soley for long distance driving. Gained 165 miles per tank with it.

14* tune is pump gas, 93...I mainly am on the 12* tune driving around.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    Not being dramatic at all...words from his mouth. No WOT on MPG tune as it is not safe for WOT, it will lean out. The MPG is not what I would consider a street tune...soley for long distance driving. Gained 165 miles per tank with it.

14* tune is pump gas, 93...I mainly am on the 12* tune driving around.
    Good for you. 14* is more timing than I would be comfortable with on 93 octane. A beast on the streets for sure.
    As far as the MPG tune,I know earlier you posted that you were getting 14+ mpg. It's just concerning knowing it will lean out under load and throttle position.

I'm driving to Daytona in two weeks, I want some of what you're havin'

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Al View Post
    Good for you. 14* is more timing than I would be comfortable with on 93 octane. A beast on the streets for sure.
    As far as the MPG tune,I know earlier you posted that you were getting 14+ mpg. It's just concerning knowing it will lean out under load and throttle position.

I'm driving to Daytona in two weeks, I want some of what you're havin'
    really crap slapped together tune if that's the case IMO. It's very easy to tune it right for lean burn cruise without having any effect on the WOT tables. Tuner just didn't want to spend time on doing it right I bet. I spent about a week driving around with my laptop connected and data-logging to get mine how I wanted it...

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    really crap slapped together tune if that's the case IMO. It's very easy to tune it right for lean burn cruise without having any effect on the WOT tables. Tuner just didn't want to spend time on doing it right I bet. I spent about a week driving around with my laptop connected and data-logging to get mine how I wanted it...
    Roger that. When I'm cruising with minimal load and throttle I'll see 15.1 A/F, but the slightest increase and its back to 14.7. And no issues with stomping the pedal (as long as I have traction, lol).

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've spoken to my tuner, JJ@WMS and he said he can tailor a "roadtrip" tune for me in that it'll be down on power in the effort of getting mileage. I didn't hear this from JJ or even ask him if it's a good idea, but I remember someone mentioning they even went as far as removing the SC belt on roadtrips because even if you stayed out of boost, the belt is still spinning the SC. Once I get more tuning done I'll post my results of a street vs roadtrip tune, but I can say at the moment that my mixed commute of street/highway between work and back that I only get about 8mpg on a simple base tune.

Name: Vic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Buy a beat up Honda Civic and use it as a daily instead of your truck. Problem solved.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    See posts #25 & #30. I'm not going to buy an old, crappy death trap just to save a few bucks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m5james View Post
    See posts #25 & #30. I'm not going to buy an old, crappy death trap just to save a few bucks.
    I understand. IMO that's what i did, i bought a Honda for 500 bucks and its been working fine for 3 years. i use the HD as a weekend warrior.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    To each their own. I ride my bike (35mpg) when I know it's gonna be 60*+ and no rain, otherwise I DD back and forth my BMW X5 (16mpg) or the HD (8mpg) between tanks of gas so neither sits too much when it's too cold/wet to ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ahhhhh well that makes perfect sense now!! I take back my crap ride comment DONT SELL IT!!!

Name: Dale

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I sold my civic and bought my truck. Screw mpg!!

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    people ask me in the winter why i drive it year round with 5 months of snow on the ground.
    id much rather drive in comfort with heated seats and knowing my pos beater is not gonna leave me stranded at -20f on the side of the road.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast