Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic - Paint Correction on 2006 Saab 93 2.0T Convertible

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Off Topic - Paint Correction on 2006 Saab 93 2.0T Convertible

Not trying to compete with Merlin (that would be impossible), but after seeing a polishing/correction demonstration at a spring show and with inspiration from Merlin, I have taken up paint correction as a bit of a hobby. After working out a lot of the swirl and scratches on my HD, I have moved on to the various family vehicles. I have purchased a lot of products online (eshine.ca up here in Ontario) and have been experimenting. I also have an old beater Mazda, which is perfect for seeing just how far you can go with a polisher without destroying the paint.

This is my son's 2006 Saab 93 2.0T convertible. When he purchased it last year, it had heavy swirl in the metallic black paint, likely due to careless washing. The masking picture is deceiving, but the swirl is obvious in the next picture. This took 8 hours of work yesterday.

Wash: He brought it to me washed, but I normally use the two-bucket method with grit guards and Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine.
    Wheels: Sonax Wheel Cleaner.
    Polisher: Porter Cable 7424XP.
    Decontamination: Nanoskin 6" pad on PC, lubricating with ONR mixed 6 oz. per gallon.
    Swirl removal: Meguiars M105 on 5.5" orange LC pad.
    Gloss enhancement: Carpro Reflect on black LC pad.
    More gloss enhancement: Poorboy's Black Hole Show Glaze on LC crimson pad.
    Paint Sealant: Black Fire Wet Diamond on LC blue pad.
    Trim: 303 Aerospace Protectant.
    Glass: Sonax Glass Cleaner.

Notes:
    -This was my first use of M105, and it really does dust (Merlin: is there a way to reduce this or is it just technique?). I did my HD with Megs Ultimate Compound instead and it didn't dust as bad. I should have bought some M101 instead as Merlin has advised.
    -The Poorboy's may have been overkill, but I just got it and wanted to give it a try. Going to use it on the HD next time.
    -Paint correction on a black vehicle is the most satisfying, because the results are so dramatic.

IMG_3828 (Large).jpgIMG_3833 (Large).jpgIMG_3834 (Large).jpgIMG_3846 (Large).jpgIMG_3835 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3836 (Large).jpg

And here's my wife's 98 Beetle and a few shots of my HD which I did back in May.
    The HD was done with Megs UC with orange pad, M205 with white pad and 2 coats of BFWD.
    The Beetle only needed M205 and BFWD.
    Both also were given the Nanoskin treatment prior to polishing.

IMG_3511 (Large).jpgIMG_3553 (Large).jpgIMG_3481 (Large).jpg
    (That's a reflection of a hedge beside the truck)

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Great work!

Glad to see someone else has fallen down that deep dark rabbit hole with me!

Yes, M105 flashes (dries) quickly and dusts. You can mist with water to revive.
    Be sure everything is taped and covered as it will then splatter & cause a mess.
    I suggest 2 drops of M105 & 2 drops of Megs UC on alternate sides of the pad.
    M105 and UC are S.M.A.T. abrasives. Ultimate Compound reduces M105 dusting.

(That's a reflection of a 2003 tailgate in the black lightning tailgate)
    Last edited by Merlin; 06-29-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Thank you. A lot of my research and product decisions are taken from your recommendations on this and other sites.

It is a bit of a deep rabbit hole - has my wife wondering if I've lost my mind or have just acquired OCD.

Thanks for the tip on M105 and UC. I remember reading that sometimes you mix D300 with something else. Was it M101 or M105? I do have some scratches that I can't get out with an orange pad. I bought a Sonax yellow pad and took it to my beater on a nasty scratch. I did wear out a small spot of clear coat on an edge with all the work, but still didn't get out all of the scratch. Is the microfiber pad and D300 the next step for scratch removal?

Also, is there anywhere you would prefer to use M205 instead of Reflect? I do see that it is a bit higher on the abrasiveness chart.

(I love this picture of the tailgate. These black vehicles polished up are rolling mirrors.)

Name: Tony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    great work .

m105 with orange pad and m205 with white pad are your basic beginner combos. it just works so well. I'm new to detailing a little myself this last year.

as I have those combos above I also use a sealant by blackfire and it beads for months.

again nice job on the vehicles
    past:
    87 Mustang LX GT conv.
    95 Mustang GT auto, Cobra upper manifold, intake, pulleys, flowmasters, 10 years and still miss it lol

ALWAYS use the least aggressive method (pads/products) first.

Aggressiveness:
    M105
    M101
    D300
    Megs UC
    M205
    Megs UP
    D302
    Reflect

I like the Megs 5" microfiber cutting and polishing discs
    They are more effective than Lake Country orange foam.

Quote Originally Posted by 02HD9294
    I do have some scratches that I can't get out with an orange pad. I bought a Sonax yellow pad and took it to my beater on a nasty scratch.
    I did wear out a small spot of clear coat on an edge with all the work, but still didn't get out all of the scratch.
    You have learned TWO valuable lessons!

1) Don't chase Random Independent Deep Scratches (RIDS)!
    2) You CAN cut & burn through clear coat with a PC 7424xp!

Although a fast deep cut will quickly remove defects it will also remove a LOT of your valuable factory clear coat.
    I like the Megs mf discs and D300 because it is LESS aggressive than M10x and it works quick and clean.
    Your factory CC is less than the thickness of the plastic wrapper on a pack of cigarettes.
    The best idea is to get the job done by removing the least amount of CC.

Quote Originally Posted by 02HD9294
    I remember reading that sometimes you mix D300 with something else. Was it M101 or M105?
    I mix polishing products to modify properties. E.G. M105 with D300 to control dusting and increase work time.

There are lots of extreme cut pads. Here are a few. Be careful they will CUT!
    CarPro Flash Pad 6 1/4"
    Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads
    Meguiars DMX5 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc

M205 is a non-diminishing abrasive and can only take the clarity to a certain level.
    Reflect is a diminishing abrasive and will break down to create an even finer polish.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Aggressiveness:
    M105
    M101
    D300
    Megs UC
    M205
    Megs UP
    D302
    Reflect

sorry Merlin i'm confused by this chart..... this is isn;t least aggressive to aggressive is it?

edit: i'm on the fence of getting a black truck because of this thread... My black mustang showed everything but back then i din't any better about car washing..

Now with 2 bucket method, foam gun, pressure washer, and the right products black maybe easier to take care of...

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmf2004 View Post
    Aggressiveness:
    M105
    M101
    D300
    Megs UC
    M205
    Megs UP
    D302
    Reflect

sorry Merlin i'm confused by this chart..... this is isn;t least aggressive to aggressive is it?

edit: i'm on the fence of getting a black truck because of this thread... My black mustang showed everything but back then i din't any better about car washing..

Now with 2 bucket method, foam gun, pressure washer, and the right products black maybe easier to take care of...
    There is a great polish comparison chart courtesy of autopiaforums.com. I made a large print of it for my garage. Very useful when deciding which polish to use.

Updated! Autopia Polish Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Since I got the PC7242XP, my black truck looks so much better. A few years back I had to have a rear door repainted which made the front door beside it look faded and dull. The UC/M105 polishing combo removed the haze in the front door clearcoat such that it is now as black as the rear door. I have learned that with the right tools (and a bottle of a speed detailer always at hand) black paint can be easy to take care of.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    so the ultra compound is more abrasive than M105?

Why not UC then M205?

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I like the Megs 5" microfiber cutting and polishing discs
    They are more effective than Lake Country orange foam.

You have learned TWO valuable lessons!

1) Don't chase Random Independent Deep Scratches (RIDS)!
    2) You CAN cut & burn through clear coat with a PC 7424xp!

Although a fast deep cut will quickly remove defects it will also remove a LOT of your valuable factory clear coat.
    I like the Megs mf discs and D300 because it is LESS aggressive than M10x and it works quick and clean.
    Your factory CC is less than the thickness of the plastic wrapper on a pack of cigarettes.
    The best idea is to get the job done by removing the least amount of CC.

M205 is a non-diminishing abrasive and can only take the clarity to a certain level.
    Reflect is a diminishing abrasive and will break down to create an even finer polish.

I'm going to pick up some microfiber discs and D300 when I place my next order. Thanks for the advice.

1) I assume that RIDS are near impossible to remove with a polisher. White scratches that aren't deep and obviously just in the CC don't seem to be a problem and have usually come out for me with normal polishing. I've even taken a few out by hand with SwirlX 2.0.
    2) I was intentionally pushing the limit to see if I could actually go too far, and I did. Having a rusty old beater to experiment on is very convenient.

Next spring when I bring the truck out of hibernation, I plan on doing a light polish with Reflex before reapplying the BFWD. I know what you are saying about the non-diminishing being limited. On one side of my truck, I forgot to do the M205 after the M105 and applied BFWD, and although it was swirl-free, it was obvious that it didn't have the gloss the other side had. I stripped off the BFWD, polished with M205 and reapplied the BFWD and the difference was noticeable.

I recently picked up a bottle of Megs #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 because the parts store had it on sale. My research tells me that it is an old formula, originally developed for one-stage paint. My other son has a vehicle that was repainted but not CC'd so I was planning to try the #9. What have you used on non-CC'd paint?

Lastly, do you use a rotary polisher and what are the benefits? I ask because I have a chance to buy a PC 7428 and would experiment with it on my beater for awhile before ever thinking of going near good paint with it.

Aggressiveness:
    M105
    M101
    D300
    Megs UC
    M205
    Megs UP
    D302
    Reflect

This is a MOST (top) aggressive to LEAST aggressive (bottom)

Quote Originally Posted by 02HD9294 View Post
    ...do you use a rotary polisher and what are the benefits? I ask because I have a chance to buy a PC 7428 and would experiment with it on my beater for awhile before ever thinking of going near good paint with it.
    I have a Flex PE-14 that I rarely use any more.
    It was used for paint correction but now I mostly use it on a slow speed with Reflect.

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    so the ultra compound is more abrasive than M105?

Why not UC then M205?
    No problem with UC then M205. I did this on my truck with good results. Per the Autopia polish chart, M105 is 10 (max) on the aggressiveness scale, while UC is only 8, so it's less aggressive.
    My thinking is that if you don't have a lot of excessive swirls to correct, UC works just fine. I went with M105 on the convertible because the swirl and other scratches from daily use were extensive.

Ever since M101 I've not looked back on M105.
    I've seen some where M101 finished down as nice as M205
    I've seen less aggressive products correct as good if not better than more aggressive products.
    I always start with the least aggressive method products/pads first.
    I suggest using the Megs microfiber discs and D300. I think you'll like it.
    Megs mf discs a D300 really does a nice job removing swirls. Much cleaner and easier than M105
    Like the foam pads. Priming and keeping the mf discs clean are very important to achieving a good finish.

Have you read the Kevin Brown Methods?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    thanks Merlin. I'll look into the discs and D300. are there different types of MF discs ?

thanks Merlin. I'll look into the discs and D300. are there different types of MF discs ?
    Yes, there's the 5" Megs cutting and finishing discs. If you want cut like a "Sunny Beach" I have a suggestion for you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast