Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: motoblue oil separator or the L&s model

Name: edward

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    about gauges, i read somewhere on here that gauges are not all the same quality.. like plus or minus two pounds.
    what do you guys have in yours?
    then where does the boost gauge connect to?? and the air fuel ratio??
    i feel i should do these first to get an idea of how its doing, i feel a methodical approach vs my spending is key
    however, i don't want to have to make a long distance trip from Mo to Cali with trailer if I'm all modded out on my truck ...lol..

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by califabricator View Post
    plus i thought merlin had a shamu ? seen a post in paint section with a black HD.

Most folks don't change their upper. 6, 8 or 10lb depends on what you want and safety. I went with 6lb.

M-11620-H200
    2002-03 Harley/F150 Vacuum Boost Gauge
    INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post

Most folks don't change their upper. 6, 8 or 10lb depends on what you want and safety. I went with 6lb.

M-11620-H200
    2002-03 Harley/F150 Vacuum Boost Gauge
    INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    Yes !!!
    I seen the pods for the pilar but they didn't come with the gauges and I looked at some gauges and seen a few I liked but then the post about the (+-) in pounds of boost didn't sell me off.
    Where do you order the one from ford, the Column type pod with guage ?
    If it's from ford I like it but still a quality guage is what I'm wanting..assuming the pod comes the same interior color or painted type..

But yes , tell me you tried the others 8,10lbs before you went with a 6lb..
    And how do you guys feel about the quick change lower system.. It comes with a voice of one lower..

Have you tried the 10 or the 8 lb ? Is it unsafe ?

Can you give me a brief synopsis on the 6lb'r ..? Was it breath taking ? Was it all you hope for ? Was it an eye opener ?
    Reason I'm asking is when I installed the punisher valve body in the trans. Some people say the trans is going out because it snatches between shifts and chirps 1/2nd

I'm not rich like you guys and have only one shot before I'm living off top ramen ..lol

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Cali, I love your enthusiasm. But every question you ask had been answered no less than 10 times.

Everything I've read in these pages here says a 6# lower and tune is worth about 80hp +- & an 8# is 100hp +-. With a 6# you're pretty safe if you get a good tune whereas the 8# is a little riskier on a stock block, plus you will need an aftermarket MAF air meter because the stock one will peg and cause a lean condition and potentially vent your block.

Now you seem very interested in a 10# lower. I'm sure that you could put it on there, and with a good tune if you were very frugal with your right foot you might be safe, but if you're like me WOT is where it's at. With a 10# you are far more likely to bend a rod and/or vent your block. So it's best to stay away from that till you get a built bottom end.

My plan is a SBTB, Joker port on my SC & plenum, 6lb lower, MAF air, JLP CAI and Bassani Exhaust. With a good tune I expect to be around 380-400hp & upper 400+ ft lb, and be perfectly safe, and a ton of fun.

An 8# would obviously more fun, but to sketchy for my driving style.

IMO a 10# lower is to much for a stock "heaton" anyways, at least from what I've read, they don't flow well enough and wind up creating more heat than can be effectively overcome.

Your reaction to the power increase will really be based on your past experience. I think 80+ extra hp with a much cleaner/smoother torque curve will be a real breath taking eye opener!

Not sure who said your tranny is going bad after the VB install, but they don't sound like they know much about cars/trucks, if they did they would recognize the firm shifts as a shift kit. Because that is exactly the point of a shift kit, firm shifts.

So all that being said, I currently have my first HD now and aside from being lower it has 100% stock drivetrain. Everything else I just said is from reading here & LR, and searching for the answer to every question I think of. I'm telling you, just about any question you have has already been answered.
    Last edited by SoCal Waite; 07-28-2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: MAF not MAS lol

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Oh and if you are talking about this boost gauge:

Good luck, they aren't made anymore and only come up for sale used once every 3rd or 4th blue moon.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by califabricator View Post
    yes , i found that out... so instead of shelling doe because i can't wait, i just save my doe and get on here and research some more.. LR. is good but i feel this site is better for me..

plus i thought merlin had a shamu ? seen a post in paint section with a black HD. Yes Merlin has a Shamu.

anyways is the 10lb good for a first time pulley ? NO!
    i was on jlp looking at their lowers and the are like 210 for a 10lb lower, they nice but i was thinking maybe a little lower like 4-6 maybe 8.... lol
    i dont wanna get a 10lb and be like wholly shell shock !! i still need to get around town but i like doing it with a feel of zoro.. the panty peeler ...loll
    Cayman what do you have in yours and how does it feel ? would you recommend towing or going cross country ? If you are referring to the type of tune, I don't tow, I was just explaining some of the types of tunes that come as default in the handheld tuners. They are ok to get started with but look to get a better tune from a reputable tuner as you add more mods that increase boost.

your signature says you have an 8lb lower, what do you have as an upper ? Yes, I have an 8# lower and stock upper.
    See above remarks in red.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Thank you .. You guys have been more than helpful and yes I know most of the questions have been asked and answered but to speak the truth I don't know the questions I need to ask.
    Besides I hate 20 questions ..lol
    But what started as a simple oil separator question , thinking I'm gonna get a tuner ended up me looking for a boost and air/fuel gauge first before everything else.
    so now that I know I need a 6/8 lb lower and no upper with a Dyno tune and not being able to tow. really gives me the guidance I'm looking for.

Thanks gentlemen

Name: Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a used Predator for sale if your looking to save some money

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3