Thread: Chrome rim troubles and stripe question.

Name: Michael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chrome rim troubles and stripe question.

My factory rims are peeling and bubbling plus they have some pretty good curb rash on them from the previous owner, should I try to get them fixed and rechromed or maybe powder coated or should I just try to find some new rims? Any suggestions on what rims to get and where to get them? I really like the factory look tbh.

Also thinking of removing the factory stripes, what do you all think about that? It's a 02 DSG and it has those tribal like flames on it.

Name: Jake

Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    To do them right (triple dip) you could go for $300 a wheel. You could also look on ebay for the repros. Can usually find them for 500-1000 a set. If the flames are factory and haven't been replaced at any point you could have fading. Meaning you peel them and still see the shadow of the flames. If you do take them off, be gentle and take your time. You can damage paint if you get impatient. Do not use a razor blade!!!

Email is fast..... Jake@3rdrowinnovations.com

3. The Following User Liked Braker85 For This Useful Post:

SoCal Waite (08-31-2014)

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    When we do chrome wheels we actually don't use chrome anymore. We use a process that's a lot like powder coating, its less expensive is more durable, plus its easy to do tints like black and red.

Name: Michael

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well since it was a hot and humid 90+ degrees yesterday I went ahead and pulled the decals, came off easy for the most part. You can see where they were but I'm 99% sure that once it gets a good bath and buff it will be just fine.

As far as the wheels I still dunno what I am gonna do with them yet, I want to get a set of 18's for the track and who knows for the normal dd duty.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Harley Guy View Post
    When we do chrome wheels we actually don't use chrome anymore. We use a process that's a lot like powder coating, its less expensive is more durable, plus its easy to do tints like black and red.
    Yeah, I just saw this PVD stuff on Tire Rack when I was looking for some new wheels for another vehicle. Sounds pretty cool if it lasts longer and is just as bright as chrome.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/roll-o...mer-kraft-br05

https://detroitwheelandtire.com/pvd-what/

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is who we use, they do a great job and fast turn around. they are local for us.
    http://bigshinywheels.com/

Name: Mac

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    You guys are lucky you can get the rims sorted at all. One of my wheels is peeling, but the process of dipping is outlawed in the European Union. Think it is something to do with the processes involved.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMacca View Post
    You guys are lucky you can get the rims sorted at all. One of my wheels is peeling, but the process of dipping is outlawed in the European Union. Think it is something to do with the processes involved.
    Time to powder coat

Name: Mac

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Has anybody got a picture of what 03 wheels look like after powder coating? The wheels on my 03 are peeling and previous owner kerbing marks. Re-Crome not possible in UK and curious to know if powder coating looks similar.

You could do the "chrome" powder coat...

Name: Vic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    My factory rims are peeling and bubbling plus they have some pretty good curb rash on them from the previous owner, should I try to get them fixed and rechromed or maybe powder coated or should I just try to find some new rims? Any suggestions on what rims to get and where to get them? I really like the factory look tbh.

Also thinking of removing the factory stripes, what do you all think about that? It's a 02 DSG and it has those tribal like flames on it.

I just bought 20'' Black KMC slides for my truck. To bad your all the way in Maryland i have my stock OEM rims in the shed contemplating on how much i wanna sell them for. I bet shipping would be expensive.

Name: edward

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I like the chrome look and was also contemplating re-chrome but the pvd process looks and reads like it's promising .. Thing is it's (factory chrome) not gonna last forever..

The only thing I would powder coat is sport bike parts, even that's iff'y.

But really, if you like the stigma or perception these trucks have I would stick with chrome. Originals are better or at best the preferred wheels.

Look at the turn around vs. cost and how long would you be with out the vehicle vs. getting new wheels , maybe ones you like and taking a loss with perception.

I've often wondered if these trucks were going to be a collectors item and if they where..the OEM wheel would be a part of that..
    My two cents

Paid NHTOC Member
    Name: Juan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What does bigshinywheels charge?