Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can't figure it out.

Name: noel field

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can't figure it out.

I bought my 02 hd about a month ago. Hadn't done any tune up before my WOT.
    Dropped it in low and punched it all the way thru the gears and up to 120mph. Let off and cruised to a stop. Turned around and did the same back into town. Nearly died on me when i got back to town and didn't know if I'd make it home. Got home and killed it.
    This past week, I changed all the plugs and coils. Two plugs were completly toast. No center electode tip or ground tip AT ALL.
    Replaced coils and plugs, put everything back together. Injectors looked ok on passenger side, only side i pulled fuel rail on because i thought i might have a oring cracked. But all looked good. Didn't pull fuel rail on drivers side.
    I've cleaned the maf and iac.
    Anyway, I started it back up. Turned the key to on a couple times and then back off. Then started ir. It nearly didn't start. Once I did get ir started, I swear i could smell something burning inside the cab of truck. Couldn't find anything burning. Kept truck running with a very rough idle and went to look under the hood. Manually hit the throttle. Revved up pretty good but when ir came back down to idle it seemed like ir wS going to die but didn't. All vacuum lines are correct and coils went back in order because i did them one at a time.
    Any ideas?

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    My guess is a coil or maybe two. I'm confused, at first you said you replaced the cops. Then you said you put them back in the same order. Have you pulled the plugs again to check them? When I'm hunting for a misfire I use an infra red temp sensor on the exhaust port.
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Shady Al

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Al View Post
    My guess is a coil or maybe two. I'm confused, at first you said you replaced the cops. Then you said you put them back in the same order. Have you pulled the plugs again to check them? When I'm hunting for a misfire I use an infra red temp sensor on the exhaust port.
    Thanks for your reply, shady al,
    Been working on this monster since sunday.
    Never changed plugs before in my life. But feel I can tackle anything. Electrician for 15 yrs., maintainence man for HUB currently 2yr,
    Blah blah blah. Been drinking and really didn't change the cops lol
    Anyway, here's the low down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hard to top when I've been drinking big fat fingersanyway I had been searching for a vehicle for 2 months diligentlyCARFAX, autocheck, the works. just to make sure I wasn't getting a lemon. granted your response with the infrared, I can't afford. I'm 50 years old, work by myself for myself except for HUD, and my son has been living with me,, with his family for going on three years now when income call people. anyway after searching for 2 months to get the right vehicle my 2002 HD came up on the internet one dayI searched it car faxed it check it out to the best I couldbut this was an as is no warranty sale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    when I first saw the truck on the Internet, I had to have it.
    wouldn't have mattered if there was something wrong with it when I bought it. I thought I was getting a good deal anyway14000 out the door with 67,000 miles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    like I mentioned was getting on it for the first time dropped it into first and then on into second up into third up to around 120.:the same thing coming back into town.
    got into town let off the throttle and came to lear a lot in truck nearly diedmade it to the house park it smell of gas coming from the cab under the hood rich smell also coming from the tailpipe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So ordered some coils ane plugs. Could see what appeared to b a cracked o-ring on one injector. I say that because it was the only injector out of the eighth to have an oily, gas, reside on top of the injector. Even a little residue around injector port coming from the fuel rail on that injector. Sorry not very good at texting

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Ok here's my best shot, and btw I've have held my masters electrician license for over 20 years now.
    IR temp sensors have come way down in price, I think you can get them for $25 bucks now. You'll see a huge swing in temps if a cylinder isn't firing. Or pull the plugs and check them again. Swivels and extensions make this doable in under a half hour. I suspect the smell of gas and rough idle that smooths out some under throttle is due to a bad cop.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Yeah sounds to me like a bad coil too. If you can access a code reader, like at Auto Zone, you should show a code if your having a misfire, and it will even tell you what cylinder. Are you showing a check engine light?

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

I've seen cops go bad with no CEL.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    My buddy has one of those Snap-On testers and he showed me where cops test good at idle and through an RPM range when you rev it but after they heat up a bit and you run the test again under load at 4 or 5 specific rpm ranges it shows inconsistent mis-fires in some of the ranges. Sometimes the intermittent problems like that can be hard to find.

If it is stumbling so bad at idles that you can notice it I'd still check for cracked vacuum hoses too along with the cops like the previous guys have said.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Cops can be intermittent problems. More often a problem at idle then fires at higher rpm. He smelt something burning, I'm betting it was a cop or two. Needs to go over that truck with a fine tooth comb.

13. The Following 3 Users LIked Shady Al For This Useful Post:

harleyhank (09-13-2014), SoCal Waite (09-03-2014), SonicHD (09-03-2014)

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Al View Post
    I've seen cops go bad with no CEL.
    Agreed. Mine ran poorly, with no CEL. Changed all the plugs, still ran poorly. Changed all 8 COP's and now runs strong. First thing to do in my opinion. Weak COP's don't show up on the diagnostics.

15. The Following User Liked 02HD9294 For This Useful Post:

harleyhank (09-13-2014)

Fast with Class
    Name: Tony

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    I agree, also does anyone think the intercooler might be loaded with oil?
    t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey guys. Still having problems. Thanks for all the input. How would I know if intercooler is full of oil?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast