Thread: What needs to be upgraded for 6 or 8# lower

Name: Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What needs to be upgraded for 6 or 8# lower

I just found a decent deal on an 8# lower. I am considering getting a 6# ring for it to be safe. But anyway, my question is do I need to upgrade anything else? I know I need to get tr6's. If I recall correctly gapped at .036? Also a good tune will obviously be involved. But will the stock maf be ok? The only upgrade I have right now is a COI. I know there is info on this website but everything I try and search comes up with nothing. Call me an idiot but I can't figure it out.

Name: Dale

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I would get the lighting maf also. Stock one will be pegged

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Stock Maf is a Lightning Maf. You need either a MAF extender, which is the Diablo MAFia; or an aftermarket SCT MAF, the BA2400, or BA2600 (Same MAF, the 2400 has a plastic housing, the 2600 has an aluminum housing). I'd go with the one that matches your tuner (SCT or Diablo) Other than that, the TR6 plugs gapped at .036 and a custom tune is all thats necessary to pulley up. Everything else is a bonus.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yeah, you'll definitely want a MAF extender or a SCT MAF (as mentioned). As you are in a cold weather state, you are risking "pegging" a stock MAF during a cold day when the air is dense. A lot of the motors that have been vented have been done on cold weather days.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok thanks. Does anyone know of a good tuner in the south east PA OR central jersey area?

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Rich108 View Post
    Ok thanks. Does anyone know of a good tuner in the south east PA OR central jersey area?
    http://www.jlpracing.com/

Probably one of the best lightning/harley truck tuners in the states.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome. Thanks a lot guys.

Name: Brett

Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
    Tune

Maf

Exhaust

Cai

Valve body

Port

6 lb

Plug change to tr6s to .034

Intercooler clean

Intercooler line upgrade

Check actuator

Check intercooler pump

Change fuel filter

Check fuel pumps

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    I took my truck from bone stock to 8# lower with tune...made 396/494, nothing else added. After about 3 months is when I started adding things to her but again, this was after going from bone stock to just an 8# lower with tune. All that is needed is to change the plugs...like you said. You don't need anything else, besides a good safe tune. Everything else everyone said are all good to get but you don't have to.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow that is awesome. The pulley came in today and I am pumped. It will be a week or so before I can make it out to JLP. I am assuming it would be much more beneficial to go out there rather than getting a tune by email. Also, are there any benefits to getting the SCT x4 from JLP over amazon? Amazon has them for $320 shipped as opposed to $400

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I would call JLP to ask those questions, my tuner doesn't care if you bring your own or buy from him, but others may factor in some profit from the tuner sale as part of how much getting the dyno tune would cost.

And yes, a custom tune done on their dyno would be ideal, an email tune can only really get 'close'

12. The Following User Liked Blind For This Useful Post:

oki916 (10-30-2014)

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oki916 View Post
    I took my truck from bone stock to 8# lower with tune...made 396/494, nothing else added. After about 3 months is when I started adding things to her but again, this was after going from bone stock to just an 8# lower with tune. All that is needed is to change the plugs...like you said. You don't need anything else, besides a good safe tune. Everything else everyone said are all good to get but you don't have to.
    Back in 2003 I added a 6#. Changed plugs and other basic go fast parts and the Diablo chip (no tuners back then). Dynoed 376hp/455tq. Have been running it last 11 yrs and about 70k miles (has 82k now). Still doing good. Back then I didn't get greedy and didn't do the 8# because it was pushing it a little too much. No regrets.