Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cleaning my intercooler

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    500º paint is more than enough.

Name: Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Will the tr6 plugs be ok on my truck for a week or 2 before I get it tuned? I am still need to get a belt, maf, and tuner..but I need to get the truck back running.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I replaced 3 plugs so far..I have the screws for the coil packs tight..but the coil packs still move side to side..is that ok? I actually broke a bolt on the third one because the pack was sliding around. I'm working on getting it out now

Vader's Chauffer

Yes if you stay out of the gas you can limp it around for a few days without a tune. I would make sure to replace all the plugs though, not just a few.

Yes the COPs move around a little, even when bolted down. You need to make sure the plugs are properly torqued too. I believe that is 28ft-lbs, but am not 100% on that. A goggle search to confirm would be a good idea.

As for the broken COP bolt, if there is enough of the threads sticking out, you can take a small socket (4 mm?) and lightly tap it onto the threads so you can get it out. I had this issue when I bought my first truck, worked great.

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    13 ft lbs
    Kenne Bell 2.6 - JLP Forced Air Induction - MAFia - JLP Thunder Tube - 60 lb Injectors - Kenne Bell Boost A Pump - Afco Heat Exchanger - Walbro 255 Fuel Pumps - Accufab SBTB - Denso Plugs - JLP IC Reservoir - PI Stall Converter - Weapon X cops - Factory Tech Valve Body - JLP Comp R Exhaust - QA1 Shocks - Beltech Drop Springs - PST CF Driveshaft - Flex Form Fiberglass Leafs - JLP Shackles - Hotchkis Sway Bars - JLP Traction Bars - RotorPro Brakes - Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges - DiabloSport Predator - JLP Dyno Tune - Detroit Truetrac - Forte and Grabbers - Bogarts and Hoosiers

Vader's Chauffer

I just did some research, and as of 2011 28ft-lb is the new Ford recommended spec to prevent spark plug blowouts.

7. The Following User Liked SoCal Waite For This Useful Post:

Shady Al (11-11-2014)

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    The coil screws aren't a necessity, they are just to keep them from falling out. So, yes, the coil is still sloppy when bolted in. The WeaponX coils dont even have the option to screw them down.

Stock Block Beast 11.322
    Name:

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    I just did some research, and as of 2011 28ft-lb is the new Ford recommended spec to prevent spark plug blowouts.
    Good find. 12 to 14 lbs wet was the original spec. I also found some posts as early as 2010 that say Ford has changed this to 28 lbs dry. I've got 8 thread heads, I'll continue to use 12 to 14 lbs. thanks for correcting me.

10. The Following User Liked Shady Al For This Useful Post:

SoCal Waite (11-12-2014)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got everything finished up last night. It's running good...sounds awesome with the silencer holes plugged up. This may be a stupid question, but at the bottom of the turkey pan I guess it is? Where the intercooler site in, there is a hole. Oil was puddled up in it. I'm guessing this is a drain hole? Where does it drain to?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also, what is the reason for staying off the gas before I get a tune when I only have the tr6 plugs in?-no pulley yet-

Vader's Chauffer

Quote Originally Posted by B.Rich108 View Post
    Got everything finished up last night. It's running good...sounds awesome with the silencer holes plugged up. This may be a stupid question, but at the bottom of the turkey pan I guess it is? Where the intercooler site in, there is a hole. Oil was puddled up in it. I'm guessing this is a drain hole? Where does it drain to?
    Yes that is the turkey pan, and that line loops back around to a "T" in between the PCV valve and the Plenum. So when oil collects at the bottom there, it gets sent right back through the IC again for another coat.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Rich108 View Post
    Also, what is the reason for staying off the gas before I get a tune when I only have the tr6 plugs in?-no pulley yet-
    I was under the impression (prolly didn't read it right) that all the work was done but the tune. Still, the colder plug and smaller gap could cause issue without the bigger pulley or proper tune. Play it safe, and be nice till you finish the job.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Nah I ran TR6 plugs with a tighter gap, with no pully for 6 months before I pulley'd and tuned. No ill effects at all. Pulled a couple plugs when I finally went to tune it and they looked good. Dont worry about the plugs for now, it will run fine. To the truck, its no different than running around in a boosted truck, at normal driving/cruising speeds. Your trucks run fine that way now, right? The reason for the colder plug with tighter gap is to prevent detonation and spark blow out under higher boost. Everything else is the same.

Now if you put a pulley on, then yes you will want to stay out of it until its tuned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    awesome thanks for the help. One more thing, what size belt will I need for the 8lb lower?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2