Thread: Road trip

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts

Road trip

~2500 miles, ranging from 75* sunny perfect weather, to -18* hurts to breath outside...

Socal -> az -> nm -> co and back, via 210/15/40(66)/25

I've done this drive several times in the past year, but this was the first time in the truck, as thankfully gas got cheap and I was going long enough to not be able to justify rental car or flight + rental car cost (~3 weeks).

Truck was a champ, ice and snow is scary but once I got to CO I just stayed my *** in the apartment or rode my bike and waited for my wife to get home from work with the subaru with snow tires, LOL!

Didn't bother doing a timelapse vid this time, but took pics of the truck a few times, usually in it's natural habitat (gas station)

(As you can see, I'm the only one dumb enough to go for a mtb ride in the snow, it was f'ing awesome though!)

This ice on the retractable bed cover made it a little annoying to get stuff out of the bed!

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Nice trip, I've done it myself a few times!

I've also ridden in snow & its not really fun, so what are you smoking? Did you just take you front brake lever off and ride in a straight line??

Word

pfft, no way. I found some epic single track and bombed it!

I was surprised at the amount of traction I had in the snow, the biggest issue was my feet were ****ing freezing after 30 minutes and hidden obstacles in the ~5" of snow that I kept stumbling on while climbing up hill.

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/freeride.html

I also went to Breckenridge / Vail area and went skiing on new years eve

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Nice! Maybe that was my issue, I was riding on a paved street in 1' of it.

Still, great pictures!

Sold my 2002 BLK #9638 to my wife's uncle, Sold my 2003 BLK #6682 to a nameless man local to me.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    damn snow you must be crazy to drive in that.

Word

Quote Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
    damn snow you must be crazy to drive in that.
    I don't drive in snow as often as you do, but I've been skiing since I was 5 and driving through snow and snow storms in lots of cars not meant for snow since I started driving in the 90's...granted these trucks aren't that awesome in the snow, especially not with 285&305 nitto 420s tires. It was -18*F for a couple days while there and the roads were just sheet ice all around the apartment so we took the turbo subaru with snow tires to go out ;)

saw several cars in ditches and lots of accidents that week, apparently even people in CO can't drive when it's icey.
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Name:

i would not take a road trip in the snow with 20" all season tires. you are braver then i am.

Word

*22"

I had chains but watched the weather and booked it south on i25 during a break in the weather while the webcams on the Raton pass between CO/NM looked clear so I definitely lucked out driving there and back. Truck cruises good at 110, lol. It had just started snowing when I left but I beat the storm to the pass then was good for the rest of the way.

passport max radar detector is rad ;)

Name:

doesn't matter the tire size. i meant all season tires are not for winter driving. really they are 3 season tires.

Word

I fully agree, which is why I got my wife a set of winter tires for her subaru, especially since this is her first experience driving in snow and she has a 80 mile round trip drive for work every day and can't take any days off.