Thread: Door belt molding replacement

Name: Scott

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Question Door belt molding replacement

I have the faded belt molding problem . I've seen several post about trying to clean or polish then I called ford the fronts are $70 the rears where $230 each. I tried to find some in a junk yard acording to several threads the chrome black wood trim is just as hard to find. What's the last choice? Paint the stock ones? Has anybody painted there's ? Did you do it on the truck or remove them? Or can I get them chromed?

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    In my experience it's almost best to leave well enough alone when it comes to these. You have really one option. Pull them off, sand them down with some 2000 grit and then treat them with CQuartz Delux.

I would not try paint. Let me rephrase that, I did try painting them, and almost ruined them. After which I spoke to a body-man friend of mine who informed me that paint on this material -even if prepared correctly- will not last more than maybe 6 months. If you were to go this route the preparation consist of cleaning with comet, sanding, heating them to around a 100°, and repeating this process 2-3 times.

Here, check out my write up and all my mistakes: http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...de-window-trim I should have listened to Merlin from the beginning.

Try not to laugh to hard at all my bad ideas from the beginning. But learn from my mistakes. Sand and CQuarts DLux is the best bet. Once I get the hair to get back into this again, I will again sand them down and DLux Coat them again.

Name: Scott

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks for the info on the cq delux. I have read your post in the past and learned I didn't want to go down that path. Sorry for your pain and suffering for the better good of the club!!

4. The Following User Liked ezglider For This Useful Post:

SoCal Waite (02-03-2015)

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    IMHO This is what NHTOC is all about. Helping others. I call it "The high cost of saving money." Do it right the first time.

Many, many times I have thought about going one route and found others on NHTOC have already done that and it didn't work.
    I've read what others posted and I have chosen products and processes that have a track record of working (correctly) for us.

This includes everything from mechanical mods, cosmetic mods, tires, oil separators, audio, alarms and the list goes on and on.

6. The Following User Liked Merlin For This Useful Post:

harleyhank (02-04-2015)