Thread: 3" Dual Action Backing Plate - Show Down

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

3" Dual Action Backing Plate - Show Down

Mini Show Down on 3"+ DA backing plates.

With all the recent talk about the 1" and 2" foam pads that have come out I thought I'd might do a mini show down of the current DA backing plates.

From what I have discovered there are a couple of basic widths. They are 2 7/8" and 3 1/2". Standard D/A machines use a 5/16" mounting stud.

Some of the 3" pads/discs on the market are right at 3" so it is critical that the backing plate be slightly smaller than the pad/disc you are using.

I have taken a few shots of a few of the commonly available backing plates that use a standard 5/16" mounting stud that work with a DA polisher.

Top Row Left to Right
    Meguiar's Professional Unigrit™ 3" Backing Plate & Adapter Kit, Dual Action 3 Inch Flexible Backing Plate and the Dual Action 3.5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

Center Left to Right
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 3 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pad, Griots Garage 3 Inch Mini Red Wax Pad, CCS 4 Inch Spot Buffs Foam Pads

Bottom Row
    3 1/2" Carpro Flash Pad and Meguiars 3 inch DMC3 DA Microfiber Cutting Disc

Meguiar's Professional Unigrit™ 3" Backing Plate & Adapter Kit

This backing plate features size 5/16-24 female thread. It is designed to be used with any of the five included adapters. Place the included washer* on the plate, then install the appropriate adapter.

Although this plate was painstakingly designed to optimize the performance of Meguiar's Unigrit™ Sanding and Foam Finishing Discs, it is an outstanding choice for use with any sanding disc or buffing pad.

To insure the 5/16" adapter stays in the backing plate I suggest using Loctite Red or Blue when you screw the adaptor into the backing plate.

Here are a few shots with the different pad/disc to show edge tolerances.

Dual Action 3 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

The 3 Inch DA Backing Plate is designed to offer perfect balance and support for 3 inch foam pads. The actual diameter is 2 7/8 inches, so the plate is recessed back from the edge of the pad slightly for safety.

A few have close tolerances but there is pad overlap.

Dual Action 3.5 Inch Flexible Backing Plate

The 3.5 inch backing plate is designed for 4 inch pads. The 3.5 inch plate has a 5/16” threaded post Lake Country 4 inch pads. Use this backing plate to correct small areas of paint or to polish particular spots.

The backing plate overlaps the edge of the pad - This is dangerous

Last but not least...the backing plate width measurements
    Top To Bottom Unigrit, 3" and 3 1/2"

Feel free to add your experiences or to ask questions. Thanks for viewing.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Good post Merlin.

I can see where using a backing plate that is not smaller than the pad you are using could cause a real nightmare to your paint if you were to make a mistake and let the edge hit the paint when trying to do body lines,curves and tight spots on a vehicle.

I know you are supposed to try and hold the DA and pad perfectly flat when polishing but reality is, for those areas I explained above, it is almost impossible to do.

Better to use a backing plate that is smaller then your pad and not have to worry it.

Thanks.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Thanks for the comparison shopping guide. I just received a 3" Lake Country backing plate that measures 2-7/8" diameter. I will be ordering 3" LC Hydro-techs to use with it. The smallest backing plate that I have used up to now is the LC 4", but even it has trouble getting into some tight locations.

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    I use the 3' for headlight restoration