Thread: Longtube headers...anyone have pictures/details on their setup?

Name: Jim

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Longtube headers...anyone have pictures/details on their setup?

I recently purchased a set of Pacesetter Long Tube Headers (with Armorcoat) for the HT...brought them to the local muffler shop, and after getting the truck up on the lift and eyeballing the stock manifold/cat setup, decided that I'm going to have to get a little more creative with this than I had thought. For starters, the first set of cats are flanged to the stock manifolds, and [I]angled[I]...whaaat the...okay...so where do I go from here? I'm guessing I am going to have to get a set of hi-flow cats now (I cant just "move up" the secondary cats to primary cat status can I? ) followed by pipes with O2 bungs in them. I probably should've just gone with the OBX setup since they have all that hardware included, but it's too late now.

Does anyone have any pictures of their longtube setups from underneath so I can get an idea of what I should be looking to do? Is anybody running the Pacesetter longtubes?

(To add insult to injury, the muffler shop pointed out that one of the manifold bolts had already been broken off )

Why do I get the feeling that it's going to cost me $1000 to get a set of $500 headers put on.....

Name:

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    I got the pace setter long tubes. I had no issues but i dont have stock cats. I removed the 4 factory cats and have 2 magnaflows instead. I had the original setup removed way before i had the headers installed so i couldn't tell you about any other issues or solutions with the stocks. But with aftermarkets i didn't have any issues other than relocating the rear sensors

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts

OBX stainless longtubes, stainless X pipe, stock stainless catback and stock muffler.
    Easy install, perfect fit.
    Don't forget o2 sensor extension wire harnesses. I reused the stock exhaust manifold gaskets and most of the stock manifold studs, had to swap a few for bolts as the primary tubes were in the way on the headers in a few spots.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive1 View Post
    I got the pace setter long tubes. I had no issues but i dont have stock cats. I removed the 4 factory cats and have 2 magnaflows instead. I had the original setup removed way before i had the headers installed so i couldn't tell you about any other issues or solutions with the stocks. But with aftermarkets i didn't have any issues other than relocating the rear sensors
    The pacesetter long tubes have a threaded hole in each collector, so I'm guessing those are for the front O2 sensors? Then I can just remove the cats completely? I know you only have to keep one set of sensors, but I can never remember if it's the fronts or the rears.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    The pacesetter long tubes have a threaded hole in each collector, so I'm guessing those are for the front O2 sensors? Then I can just remove the cats completely? I know you only have to keep one set of sensors, but I can never remember if it's the fronts or the rears.
    My rear sensors are turned off in my tune even though I still have a stock exhaust with all sensors and wiring still connected. No codes show up.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So, in theory, I can put the first set of sensors into the header collectors, turn off the second sensors with my tune, run zero cat converters at all, and still have a healthy running engine (according to the O2 sensors), AND still pass emissions? BIG...STUPID...GRIN !

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So, i talked to a guy at a local custom shop that said I would need to run at least one pair of cats in order to pass emissions. I'm okay with that, but I'm confused as to how many guys are running with no cats, and still passing emissions? I told him that I'd have a tune where I could turn off the rear sensors , but he claims that didn't matter...and I would fail emissions without the cats. I dont get it.
    Secondly, for you guys running 3" or "high flow" cats...what brand are you using? I saw a couple "off brand" types on ebay that had the rear O2 bung welded in already, going for about 70 bucks. Thoughts? I'm planning on having the headers etc installed next week, so I've got to act fast on purchasing the cats.

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    In Texas the inspection process includes looking for the cats, would you fail because of this?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaoss View Post
    In Texas the inspection process includes looking for the cats, would you fail because of this?
    In Oregon, you would fail for not having the stock quantity of cats. If it came with 4 cats, it should have 4 cats. Fortunately, that's only if they look, and 99.9% of the time, they dont. They run codes, and if theres codes you fail, if not your free. In Texas if its something they take the time to look for, I'm sure they would also enforce that rule. But I dont know sh*t about Texas haha.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    CA also needs the stock location and amount of cats, and if they aren't original they need a CARB exemption number plate stamped on them

This is why I swap mine back to stock every 2 years, ugh.

The rules have changed this year though, so next time I have to smog it if I'm still living in CA I will be trying to smog with the longtubes installed still, since now the smog for 2000+ year vehicles will just be an OBD check for codes and visual, and fingers crossed they just don't look underneath

Name: Dale

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    In Florida, we don't have emissions and it's awesome. Run no cats, open headers, whatever you want without consequence!