Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member w/ new to me 03

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

New member w/ new to me 03

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 F150 View Post
    Duh, "OCD". Should've picked up on that!

Anyway Merlin, sure. Which products do you use for detailing your pickupi
    See detailing section. What do you want to do.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Finally took some photos of the truck today. See link below:

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sp2...ry/2003%20Ford
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Looks very clean , in great shape...almost virgin.

EGAD man get that Chit off the mirrors!

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

I know, I know. Had more important things to do first though. Didn't realize they were skulls until I looked at them closer. They look very strange from a distance too like they don't belong. They're going back to black.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Welcome to the NHTOC.

Good looking ride. Enjoy!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

All, searched the how to section and the closest thing I found related the mirrors was how to change the turn signal indicator or how to change out the entire mirror. Is the photo above a cover or do I have to change out the entire mirror? Did some searching and it seems it may be just a cover; however, I still can't seem to locate a procedure for changing it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Possibly a cover or Hydro Dip ???

Thumbs up Side mirror back cover removal

All, searched the how to section and the closest thing I found related the mirrors was how to change the turn signal indicator or how to change out the entire mirror. Is the photo above a cover or do I have to change out the entire mirror? Did some searching and it seems it may be just a cover; however, I still can't seem to locate a procedure for changing it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Check this thread in the How To section. The pic below is pretty good too. Torch means flashlight.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...n-Side-Mirrors

Mirror back cover.jpg

9. The Following User Liked cayman150 For This Useful Post:

SonicHD (06-09-2015)

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Possibly a cover or Hydro Dip ???
    Its hydrodipped

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

This is the article that I read from the how to section. The guy is from England and needed an Amber lense verus the red lense and deals with the opposite of the mirror (near side). I couldn't find anything re the far side or the back of the mirror so I could change it back to black. What is hydrodipping? I'm not familiar with this process. Does this mean I'm hosed and have to buy new mirrors?

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Just a quick search revealed it's probably permanent since you start with an existing part or product. The previous owner probably used the original mirrors. Oh well, new mirrors it is or repeating the same process with black only, no image?

The Water Transfer Printing / Hydrographic Dipping Process and How It Works

Hydrographic Printing, and Hydro Carbon Fiber, is more commonly known as Water Transfer Printing by industry-insiders. All in all, Hydrographics is a process of applying a new finish to an existing part or product, using a hydro tank to place a graphic film over your piece. There are currently hundreds of different patterns to choose from including: camouflage, wood, carbon fiber, metal, stone, or designer patterns; as well as any color combination possible.

The process starts with preparing your piece for the refinishing. Next, a polyvinyl film containing the pattern is floated on top of a vat of water. The water acts as the medium to transfer your print into the form of your part or product. Upon placement of the film in the water, an activator is then applied to release the print overlay from the polyvinyl backing. We then “dip” your part into the print, transferring the pattern to your piece. Final stages include an automotive clear coat finish, depending on the design and required durability of the final product.

Smile

This is the article that I read from the how to section. The guy is from England and needed an Amber lense verus the red lense and deals with the opposite of the mirror (near side). I couldn't find anything re the far side or the back of the mirror so I could change it back to black. What is hydrodipping? I'm not familiar with this process. Does this mean I'm hosed and have to buy new mirrors?
    You are not hosed. nor do you have to buy new ones. It's actually quite easy.

Just use the links I provided above and remove your mirror covers and for an OEM appearance have them painted black or you could hunt for the Lincoln Blackwood chrome covers and replace it with those.

They mirror backs just pop right off after you find the clips.

Edit**... Personally, I would try to either sell them and make some money off of them or at least trade them for OEM ones if you want to go back black. Maybe someone off the L sites would like them as they look like they would have cost a fair penny to do the skull hydrodip.
    Last edited by cayman150; 06-10-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added comment

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Thanks Chuck. I'll give it shot when I get back home.

Name: Byron

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Welcome Nice Truck

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Followed the instructions above to change the bulbs to LED. Nothing to it. Been searching around for new mirror covers. Found a few on different sites but every set requires that I paint them. Still searching. Maybe I'll find someone whose interested in mine and wants to swap me for black? Anyone (hint, hint)?
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...pseolqipna.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast