Thread: My brakes going to the floor when i stop...

Name: mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brakes going to the floor when i stop...

I`m starting to have problems with my brakes and the symptoms happens when i`m stopped at a light, the peddle start going to the floor and the truck starts rolling...I did a search and some people had the same problems but they did not post on what they did to fix the problem....I would like to fix it myself instead of taking it to a dealer just for them to replace everything on the truck....any help will do

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Start by checking the fluid level under the hood, then if it's low crawl under the truck and look for any wet spots on the brake line connections front to rear. If the level is good, and all the fluid line connections are dry, then bleed new fluid through the entire system (should really do this once every other year at the least). If all of that is done and you are still having an issue I would look at the vacuum brake booster for vacuum leaks, and replace if necessary.

3. The Following User Liked SoCal Waite For This Useful Post:

BRIANV (06-25-2015)

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Wouldnt the booster make it hard to stop like a really hard pedal? he states its going to the floor, IDK just saying maybe master cylinder leaking internally like ryan said

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well over the weekend i replaced the brake booster and the master cylinder, but I`m still having the same problem, the brake peddle still goes to the floor....I have no leaks around my calipers nor lines...What else could it be?

You know what i have a toyota van and i had the same symptoms, What i did was pinch the rubber line going to each caliper one at a time and see if the pedal got hard. Found out that the front right caliper was hung up on the slide pins rusted solid. Cleaned and lubed the slides all good now ! If its not that the only thing left on that system is the ABS pump hope its not that EEK!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was leaning toward the Hydraulic control unit....thats the only thing left

What ever happened here ?

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    i had the same problem. rent or buy one of these http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...der-evacuator/. it makes a difference and removes all air in the lines. but the peddle is still gonna be a lil spongy. i installed the 16" big brake upgrade kit from tce and you could barely notice a difference in the braking. so now i m in the process of redoing all brake lines in copper nickel, i ordered a hydroboost kit from power brake service w/ wilwood master cylinder and wilwood proportioning valve (i dont think harleys had one or at least mine didnt). i hate that spongy feel and also our stock are the worst. I m also gonna order the rear 15" wilwood kit cause im an ******* and cant just change one thing. i ll have a bunch of stock parts.

Very interested on the outcome here ?