Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rattle/Vibration

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    I know these trucks like to snap header or exhaust manifold bolts have you checked them ? Hold you hand over the tailpipe to build pressure in the system and see if you hear a exhaust leak.

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steinjr View Post
    I wish it was that simple. Got under the truck again today and still couldn't find anything loose or any clearance issues. There is plenty of room between the exhaust and the underside of the truck.

If I pull down hard on the exhaust, the rattle goes away. Still kinda hard to hear in the video. At about 6 seconds you can hear it best. Does the entire exhaust need to be loosened, refitted, and retightened?

https://youtu.be/tkN7nqEtt_4
    Something has to be touching somewhere, maybe the sound is being transmitted from somewhere else and radiated around the muffler (IE: Header bolts as others mentioned). You might also check the hangar grommets, maybe one split and allowed metal to metal contact within the hangar. Pulling on it might be snugging it up enough to stop the noise. A long shot would also be to check engine & trans mounts in the rare instance that one is bad/sagging and putting stress on the pipes, causing something somewhere to get angry.

I'd also grab a couple of buddies and find an old garden hose to sacrifice and have everyone listen to specific spots along the exhaust and see if anyone can pinpoint the source. You can do it yourself too, but a different set of ears might be able to hone in on certain sounds better than others. Maybe have someone put it in drive and reverse to see if the sound level changes or moves. Grasping straws here, but can't hurt to look for the unusual since the usual doesn't seem to be working....If I still lived in DFW I'd offer to come help!
    Mike

Name: Casey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Get this resolved? It does sound like the tone is rattling the shroud....

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I took the truck to the place that installed the exhaust. They tightened things up and the rattle appears to be gone... but I haven't driven that much since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2