Thread: Whipple

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

Whipple

Who has one. Im really interested have lots of questions ! Do you need a tune. can you use factory air cleaner. The website says gains in the 200+ range is that true. Do you need a different intercooler or add on cooler etc etc

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Not to come off as an *** but your original post leads me to believe that you stand to benefit by learning about the "basics" before diving into this matter. Yes, you will need a tune. The Whipple kit comes with a CAI. The Race Kit comes without the CAI. You do not need additonal IC mods but in the world of forced induction the lower the charge temps the better.

IMHO and speaking from experience put the money towards a built foundation. For eight years I have had a stock block Whipple Lightning. Moreso than the peak power benefits is the power curve produced by a twin screw SC. The power curve of the Whipple is amazing and I love it but you really can't take advantage of it with the factory rods. Despite all of the enjoyment I get from the Whipple I realize in retrospect that I would rather have a built, 500 RWHP Eaton-powered truck that I can flog the piss out of instead of a conservatively tuned 450 RWHP truck that will eventually scatter the factory internals.

The simple fact is that the Eaton is more than sufficient to scatter the factory rods. The HD is even more vulnerable because of the additional load exerted on the rods at any given power level due to the additional weight of the SCrew. Plenty of guys will tell you its all in the tune but that's BS in my opinion. Excessive load breaks the factory rods and that excessive load comes in many forms to include (but not limited to) excessive power output and the insane loads produced by detonation.

If you pursue this route I highly recommend saving for a contigency plan for if/when the factory motor grenades.

3. The Following User Liked throttle jockey For This Useful Post:

AJ2004 (07-10-2015)

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Sounds good thanks for the advice

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Anytime, feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to give you sound advice.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Had a 2.3 whipple and loved it. Decided to upgrade to the 3.4. I do not suggest doing the 3.4 since it takes a lot to get it to work right. I'm still ironing out the kinks 3 years later. Do not get me wrong it's one he'll of a blower once it gets going. But I wish I woulda stayed with the 2.3 instead to get me where I wanted my truck to be. I did the math and would of had to spin the 2.3 way past it's efficientency, even then I'd probably come short of my goal. Thought about spraying the truck, but I don't like nitrous.

What throttlejockey said is true though. Start with a good bottom end first. Cause once you get the whipple you'll want to turn it up more and more lol. "it's never enough!"