Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Not impressed with new shocks. Anyone else?

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Things learned with the ongoing saga of purchasing Bilstein "L Spec" shocks for my HD truck...

As recommended I chose the Bilstein Sport. These are the shocks that everyone suggested for the HD.

4600 Series Sport
    Part Number: 24-187442 Front
    Part Number: 24-187459 Rear

I originally started out with try to order from http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=2003

This turned out to be a huge mistake! I called 'em and asked 'em if they had 'em in stock.
    They said yes, we have about 14 of the 24-187442 and about 8 of the 24-187459.
    They are about an hour south of me so I took a ride expecting to purchase the shocks.
    I got there and they didn't have them! They had two 24-187442 Front & one 24-187459 Rear.
    What the hell am I going to do with only THREE shocks???

First off, I must say that the place was a nasty hole in the wall. The office had not been cleaned in years!
    Second, it was full of folks that appeared to me to be completely clueless. Yes, they had shocks on a rack.

They said pay us for the shocks. The truck is arriving tomorrow and we'll ship 'em to you when they arrive.
    After looking at the place, I said, call me when they arrive and I'll come down, get 'em & then pay for 'em.
    It has been a week and I call 'em everyday, and everyday I get the same "the truck is arriving tomorrow".

I found this if anyone's interested. http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florid...070/complaints So today I gave up.

I started looking up folks in my area local (not 1 hour away) that carried Bilstein shocks. Here's what I found.
    4 Wheel Parts http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...ptID=3306&pg=2 The shocks are listed on their website.
    I called & the 4WP service folks were GREAT! (although they tried to steer me towards the Bilstein 5100 series).

They also stated that they install install the shocks too. The cost is $30+ each so that's about $125 plus change.
    They told me they have the 24-187442 Fronts in stock but do not have the 24-187459 in any of their 80 stores!

Did I mention they are cheaper too! Anyway, while I was on-the-line they called Bilstein to see if they had any.
    He came back & stated to me that Bilstein is also out, but they will be manufacturing them again in November.
    November??? This is August!

Ok, I said I would see what I could find. Summit has 'em http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-187459
    They were $10+ more, but they had 'em in stock & they'd ship out FREE today. I should have 'em in 3-5 days.

OK, now back to 4 Wheel Parts...
    The good news is that 4 Wheel Parts said they'd install 'em "even though you didn't purchase them from us".
    A lot of shops around here are funny about that. They will only install a part if you purchased it from them.

Anyway, this is what I had to do to purchase the two front 24-187442 and two rear 24-187459. Your results may vary.

How have your results been with these two companies? For me, so far so good but I don't have the shocks in hand yet.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    seems like quite the ordeal? I bought a set used off a lightning owner who had changed them out for adjustable QA1 drag shocks. $75 for all 4 delivered to me with 15k miles from a lightning. I had a lot of sets to choose from too, lol.

my truck isn't brand new, it doesn't need brand new shocks when bilsteins are known to last for 250k miles before needing servicing
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    1) seems like quite the ordeal?

2) I bought a set used off a lightning owner who had changed them out for adjustable QA1 drag shocks.
    $75 for all 4 delivered to me with 15k miles from a lightning. I had a lot of sets to choose from too, lol.
    my truck isn't brand new, it doesn't need brand new shocks when bilsteins are known to last for 250k miles before needing servicing
    1) It was more than I'd have liked. I wanted to pass along my experiences down the "L Spec Bilstein" road. It may help others.

.a) http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=2003 - No impressed with Shock Warehouse - Filthy shop & clueless.
    .b) 4 Wheel Parts http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...ptID=3306&pg=2 - These folks seem to be professional and helpful.
    .c) Summit Racing Equipment - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-187459 - The rears are in stock and are shipped.

NOTE: At this time the Bilstein 24-187459 rears appear to be in very short supply. Kudos to Summit for having them in stock.

2) I have purchased a few "pre-owned" parts for my truck. Most of the time it's fine. Occasionally, there are issues with the parts.
    This is one place where I wanted "new". (Do it once. Do it right) I'm happy to hear they last 250K! One thing less to worry about.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Thanks for the post Merlin. If I were in the market for these specific shocks, this would definitely save me a few hours, not to mention frustration. Don't have much time to begin with, so I hate wasting it (especially when others waste it)!

Name: James

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm running KYB shocks and they ride great!

I went to 4 Wheel Parts and got the stock shocks removed and the Bilstein L Spec Sports (above) installed.
    On the way there I noticed that the truck did a bouncy bounce on the highway when it encountered bumps in the road.
    After they installed the shocks and did a test drive they reported back that the truck pulls to the right and shimmies at 50+ mph.
    They recommended an alignment and all four tires be balanced using a road-force balancer.

A while back I purchased a lifetime alignment package from Firestone. I said I have a shop I'm headed to for the alignment.
    I did notice the pull to the right and a bit of a shimmy at 50+ mph on my way to get the alignment.

So off I went to Firestone they did an alignment (for free) and stated they can balance the tires for $40 or do a lifetime for $70.
    They stated that as the tires wear they will change shape and it is recommended to do a balance a few times during the life of the tire.
    Silly me, I went for the extra $30 and did the lifetime balance. I gotta admit I've gotten my moneys worth out of the lifetime alignment.
    I did ask about the road-force balancer and the tech said it's probably a good idea on 20"+ tires but you should be fine with a regular balance.

4 Wheel Tire has some big a$$ tires in stock and that's probably why they are one of the few shops in the area with that machine at $30 each tire.
    So to make a short story long. After the shocks were installed, the truck was aligned and all four tires balanced, I drove home straight and true.

So how do the Bilstein shocks feel? They are stiffer then what was on the truck. I can feel the bumps in the road (a little bit). So far I like the ride!

Last edited by Merlin; 12-06-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    have you lowered the rear of your truck at all? if so you'll want to get the beltech shock extender brackets for the rear. Lets the shocks sit more in the middle of their range of travel and the rear ended up being a lot less bouncy for me, though it doesn't look like you have a rear swaybar at all so I imagine yours wouldn't ride as stiff in the rear as mine does with the hotchkis TVS kit bars.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3