Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: upgraded to a MP

Name: Christopher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

upgraded to a MP

So I see all sorts of post on the MP and stuff you have to upgrade. My question is I have the following mods. Will you guys give me input if this is a dangerous set up or what. Thanks in advance.
    2.76 upper
    5 lb lower
    MP supercharger
    Tune
    Kn cai
    Woodbine motorsports valve body
    Magnaflow exhaust
    And Maf extender

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Anything above stock boost is "dangerous" on a stock bottom end. With an MP, you need to spin it to get any benefit from it, so your about right on the pulley combo. If your on a stock block, then yes its a little dangerous, but it is what it is. If its worth the risk to you, then go at it. If you aren't prepared for what can happen, then I would recommend not. Ive been running a 2.8/6lb lower combo on a ported eaton for a few years now on stock block and it runs great. But it could blow tomorrow. You will be pretty much maxing out your fuel system at this point. Any more, and your going to need to pay that some attention as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sonic HD thanks for the advice I figured fuel injectors next.

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Sonic pretty much summed it up. If you're on the factory internals and don't have the funds for a contingency plan for when/if they scatter then you may want to give serious consideration to your plans.

More info. about your current mods would be nice, but assuming you're still on the factory MAF and fuel system then you will want to consider upgrading the MAF at a minimum. The factory pumps and injectors can support a moderate MP set up but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade if the funds permit.

Also, gauges become increasingly critical as you increase performance so you will want to invest in those as well. A wideband AFR gauge and fuel pressure gauge are most important. I prefer to monitor the AFR in each bank so I have dual widebands for both of my trucks. At the minimum you will want a wideband AFR gauge.

The MP produces some heat, as heat increases so does the likelihood for detonation which is an engine killer. To keep charge temps are bay you will want to consider IC system upgrades such as replacing the hard IC lines with either 5/8" or 3/4" lines, buying an aftermarket IC reservoir with increased coolant capacity, buying an aftermarket HE, or the Killer Chiller.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks throttle jockey I have a mafia extender as well and a wideband. Also a c&l upper plenum.
    Last edited by trueleftyred; 08-10-2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So for a cooling mod what would u do first a killer chiller or a heat exchanger?

Mobbin around the NW

In El Paso, I would go with a Killer Chiller and be done with it.

8. The Following User Liked SonicHD For This Useful Post:

SoCal Waite (08-11-2015)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks sonicHD

Any aftermarket HE hinders the effectiveness of the KC, some guys even go as far as bypassing or deleting the HE all together to optimize the KCs benefits.

I installed a first generation KC on my Lightning shortly after the KC hit the market for this platform in 2007-2008. The KC is one of my favorite mods but in-cab cooling suffers. The later generations are supposed to have greatly improved in-cab cooling but I have no first-hand experience with the later generations. What I do know is that in-cab cooling with a first generation KC on a Lightning was poor in Texas summers. I would never run a first gen KC on a HD in Texas since the larger cab space of the HD would make in-cab cooling non-existant, maybe the newer generations would be able to change my mind on the matter. Someday I hope to upgrade my KC but its not a priority now that I'm back to San Diego.

I like to watch
    Name: JD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Elpaso .... I would do heat exhanger, 3/4 inch lines, bigger tank and pump. On a lightning the Killerchiller has effects on in cab cooling ..... on HD im sure that is magnified and even more so in a place where A/c is need atleast half the year.

Def do some cooling mods
    Guages are a must
    Save for a short block
    Save for fuel Pump/injectors
    Long bars would be nice too.

Mobbin around the NW

Ive got all those cooling mods mentioned above (as well as dual fans on the HE), and my sh*t still gets hot in the summer if Im romping on it. And Im in Oregon, not Texas.

Though I havent experienced it myself, word is that the newest generation of KC has much better in cab cooling capabilities. I guess you would need to search out someone who has one to find out. But if were going off the old, sh*tty in cab cooling of the old generations, then I would certainly just stay with the typical cooling mods. I had a gen 1 KC on my old HD, and yeah, it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    I guess you would need to search out someone who has one to find out.
    SVTBansheeMan is in Louisiana and has one of the later versions of the KC, if you read his post you'll quickly see that he has a love/hate relationship with the KC. He loves the IC cooling capabilities but hates the in-cab cooling. I don't recall off-hand what generation KC he has but he has tried everything to maximize in-cab cooling and still isn't completely satisfied.

When I installed my KC Belle was my DD. When Texas summer rolled into town I remember noting the lost in-cab cooling but it wasn't until I resigned her the weekend warrior duties that I noticed just how much in-cab cooling had suffered. There are times during humid Texas summers where it has been more enjoyable to cruise windows down because of the air movement in the cab.

If I bought one now it would be the latest generation with the Drag Kit.

Quote Originally Posted by D3VST8R96GT View Post
    ...3/4 inch lines...
    5/8" or 3/4" lines will work. There is an arguement to be made that the amount of additional coolant capacity gained by using 3/4" lines doesn't negate the added "dwell" time spent in the line in close proximity to the engine heat. 3/4" lines are also more prone to leaking behind the SC where they slip onto the 3/8" nipples for the IC core. Leaks don't seem to happen very frequently but they have occurred.

I opted for 90 degree molded 5/8" ID lines from Napa (part # NBH 9814) so I wouldn't have to worry about kinks or Uni-Coils to prevent kinks. My decision to use the smaller 5/8" lines was influenced by the fact my heater core crapped out back in June while traveling cross-country and I spent way too much time and effort trying to keep the 3/4" line I used to bypass the heater core from leaking so I could reliably finish my trip.

IC Heater Hose.jpg

I like to watch
    Name: JD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by throttle jockey View Post
    5/8" or 3/4" lines will work. There is an arguement to be made that the amount of additional coolant capacity gained by using 3/4" lines doesn't negate the added "dwell" time spent in the line in close proximity to the engine heat. 3/4" lines are also more prone to leaking behind the SC where they slip onto the 3/8" nipples for the IC core. Leaks don't seem to happen very frequently but they have occurred.

I opted for 90 degree molded 5/8" ID lines from Napa (part # NBH 9814) so I wouldn't have to worry about kinks or Uni-Coils to prevent kinks. My decision to use the smaller 5/8" lines was influenced by the fact my heater core crapped out back in June while traveling cross-country and I spent way too much time and effort trying to keep the 3/4" line I used to bypass the heater core from leaking so I could reliably finish my trip.

IC Heater Hose.jpg
    I agree. 3/4 inch lines if you have the trick intercooler and all the other cooling mods.... 5/8s for stock intercooler.
    2000 L
    2003 HD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So with all the mods i have listed above what is my boost numbers? Thanks for all the input guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast