Thread: EGR Insufficient Flow.. HELP!

BaloghBodyworx
    Name: Joe

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

EGR Insufficient Flow.. HELP!

I've been dealing with this code (P0401) for quite some time now. Emissions is due and I can go because of my CEL lol. Please refrain from the "did you search the forums" posts because, to my knowledge, I've changed every part of the EGR system except the egr tube.

I've swapped the actual EGR Valve twice, the dpfe sensor twice, just changed the solenoid. Also changed all the vacuum hoses leading to the egr. Kinda stuck as well as sick of this goose chase. My reasoning, so far, for not changing the tube is that I never really found anyone having issues with the tube itself.

Few other things I've thought of is that the code appeared right around when I got headers. I have a programmer but never got a custom tune. Is it possible that these are related. Sorry if I'm being a total novice. I'm normally pretty good with figuring these out.

Oh and last thing, I feel like many of you will tell me to do an egr delete. Whats involved with that afterwards, just a tune? And can i pass emissions with that?

Thanks in advance. I'm stuck with it at this point and am totally annoyed with my truck.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    passing emissions with egr turned off in tune depends on if you have to pass a visual check as they will certainly look for egr. After that it's a simple OBD2 plug-in check in most states (readiness monitors all complete, no stored or pending codes).

I don't know specifically about on these trucks, but on a lot of older cars with EGR the tubes themselves clog up with tons of gunk. Lots of carbon can clog up the egr tubes and takes quite a bit to clean them out sometimes (cap the ends and soak with purple power cleaner maybe?)

I'd start with trying to clean out the tube

I like to watch
    Name: JD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The tube can clog pretty easily

BaloghBodyworx
    Name: Joe

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Sweet. Thanks for the input guys. I get to cleaning that tube asap.

Name: Phil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't forget to let us know how it works out for you. I have a similar problem and have done the same. My code is a P1406

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    What was outcome here ? A stick of dynamite !!!! Btw ive done a little research you know the CEL comes on just at 5% loss of efficiency. Why not make it come on at 20% or something higher

I cant find it here but who has EGR deleted whats the negatives and positives on this modification thanks any info is welcome

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Years ago the beads of brazing around one of the reference tubes on the EGR tube for my Lightning cracked, eventually the small tube broke off completely. My point... although its not common the EGR tube can fail.

EGR Delete Pros:
    Cleaner engine bay (less clutter), easier spark plug changes

EGR Delete Cons:
    Non-compliant for emissions testing

If you delete the EGR make sure you decide whether you will be deleting the EVAP system at the same time. I say this bacause you can delete the EGR, the EVAP, or both simultaneously. Most EGR delete "how-to" threads don't specify so there ends up being confusion, codes, etc.

One more point of consideration... it drives me crazy to see guys delete these systems but retain the factory vacuum lines with lines capped off, re-directed, etc. Doing this is unnecessary, confusing and leaves the system open to future vacuum leaks. IMHO do it right... take the time to pull the SC off, remove the factory vacuum lines, and spend $30 on vacuum line and various t-fittings and y-fittings. My $.02.

LOL wanted to do this but just reinstalled my supercharger from getting it ported and polished oh well later i guess