Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spare tire setup

Name: Fred

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Spare tire setup

What do these trucks use for a spare? Mine never had one when I got it. I have stock size tires. Could I use a 17 or something with a matching height tire or is there a specific spare for this thing?

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbyfan View Post
    What do these trucks use for a spare? Mine never had one when I got it. I have stock size tires. Could I use a 17 or something with a matching height tire or is there a specific spare for this thing?
    From 03' HD F150 Owners Manual page 187: I haven't verified it by looking at mine but, by reading the description below, it looks like it's the same size. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon to confirm.
    Spare tire information
    Your vehicle is equipped with a spare tire that may be used as a spare ora regular tire. The spare tire wheel may not match the road wheel, and isnot equipped with wheel trim. The wheel trim from the wheel/tire maybe used on the spare if the wheels match.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Not sure what the actual size is; but you can get a skinny tire on a 16" steel rim if you want, as long as the diameter is the same. The stock 275/45/20 tire is 29.7" tall, so you need to be as close to that as possible.

Name: Fred

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks guys. I wonder if the stock spare rim is as hard to find as every other part on this truck lol.

Mobbin around the NW

Should just be a steel wheel

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Just looked at my spare tire and it is a 255/70R16 I'm positive that it is the original spare!

#8022 L&S oil separator, color matched tailgate handle and license plate bulb covers . Fog light mod ,Venom mod , JLP CAI and JLP rear shackles for a 3" drop out back. More to come.......SOLD ...........no more to come.

aka not rite

It is on a steel rim.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    I got to use my spare this year for the first time, good thing I always check the air pressure in it yearly!

It's a grey steel 16" rim, pretty ugly.

probably the same spare as would be stuck under every 97-03 f150 in the junkyards
    2002 DSG HD #09617 NHTOC Truck of the month November 2012
    Ported eaton/plenum/tb, 6lb lower, SCT BA-2600 MAF, OBX longtubes, JLP intake, FTVB, L-spec bilsteins, Hotchkis TVS, 22" replicas. Tuned by Ray McClelland of FTK

I like to watch
    Name: JD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    They are the same for L or HD
    2000 L
    2003 HD

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    My elevator seized up so mine is riding in the pickup lol

Name: Chris

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, would you suspect the 16" spare tire is heavier than the regular 20" stock rim (with tire)? (I've got one of each, so wondered which is lighter to carry around all day every day.)

aka not rite

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Just out of curiosity, would you suspect the 16" spare tire is heavier than the regular 20" stock rim (with tire)? (I've got one of each, so wondered which is lighter to carry around all day every day.)
    I don't think the weight difference is worth considering. If the 20 is a aluminum factory Harley wheel keep it in the garage . That way it doesn't get messed up under the truck.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    it felt lighter than the 285/35r22 that I swapped it with when the nitto nt420 had 1" of tread peel off like string cheese on the freeway, despite having 40% tread depth left on the rest of the tire. I'm not bitter at all, nope.

Name: Chris

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    lol.. yea, I just had an old OEM Harley 20" rim that was replaced due to having some curb rash on it from the original owner that I went ahead and swapped out my spare with. The wheel does not mount underneath as well (you have to mount it with the valve stem pointing up where you can't check the tire pressure to get it secure.) If you ever need to use the spare, does having a 16 inch wheel on one side not provide any issues when you would have the 20" rim on the other side? (I realize the spare has a taller side-wall than OEM on the 20")

Mobbin around the NW

If you ever need to use the spare, does having a 16 inch wheel on one side not provide any issues when you would have the 20" rim on the other side? (I realize the spare has a taller side-wall than OEM on the 20")
    Rim diameter and sidewall height has nothing to do with anything. Its the diameter (height) of the whole tire that makes a difference. If its on the front, it doesn't matter, but if its on the rear the tires need to be the same diameter as to not fu*k up your rear differential. Different size tires will rotate at different speeds. Not good on the rear end.

For example; Im going to be lifting and installing larger tires on my wife's Jeep in the next week or two. Since the tire size is changing, I'm ditching the spare all together. It will be no good anymore.

Same thing on my HD. Im running a larger than stock diameter tire on my 22" reps. Spare is now gone.

Ive got AAA, and towing service through my insurance. So Im not too worried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast