Thread: Was changing plugs found this

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

Was changing plugs found this

IMG_3082.jpg Is this the intake gasket leaking?

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    Is this the intake gasket leaking?
    Its possible that the intake gasket is leaking but this isn't common on this platform. More information is always good, which bank and what cylinder is the pic showing?

The heater hoses going to the heater core are notorious for failing at WOT or during a hard pull with these trucks. If your pic is showing bank 1 (passenger side) over the rear cylinders then you might have a heater hose starting to rupture. Use a mirror to visually inspect the underside of the heater hoses to confirm/rule out this possibility. I'd also use clean hands and feel around the heater hoses to see if anything gets on my hands.

If you've replaced the hard factory IC lines with 3/4" IC lines you might have a leak where the lines mate with the IC core. I opted for 5/8" lines to minimize the risk of leaks when I replaced the factory hard lines.

The grit and grime on the cam cover looks wet which leads me to believe its not the intake gasket.

Double post .

DRivers side closest to the fire wall

IMG_3080.jpgGuess there is no way around this either huh? even with the oil separator i thought i would find little to no oil in here. this is less than 10,000 miles

The only way to 100% eliminate oil in the intake tract is to delete the PCV system entirely.

7. The Following User Liked throttle jockey For This Useful Post:

AJ2004 (09-21-2015)

Whats the advantage and disadvantage with the PCV deletion. ? IMG_3085.jpg And does that carpet looking padding stuff on top of the engine need to be replaced it got wet

Advantage of a deleted PCV system... oil vapors cannot be introduced into the intake tract.

Disadvantages of a deleted PCV system... the benefits/intentions of the PCV system are negated. Basically engine oil contaminants due to blow-by of the piston rings (fuel vapors) and other contaminants are not able to vent. This results in premature degradation of the engine oil. More frequent oil changes are recommendable if the PCV system is deleted. Here's a current LR thread discussing the matter.

No, you do not need to remove the fiberglass insulation because it got wet. You can remove it if you want, I did on my Lightning years ago because its an eye sore but one downside is the additional engine noise that is apparent inside the cab.

Thank you for taking the time to answer i left it out and i probably wont delete the pcv just yet. Do either of your trucks have the pcv deleted

I have the L&S on both of my trucks, I personally won't delete the PCV system. Someday I might swap to a catch cans but that's only so I can drain the captured oil, further reducing the amount of contaminants reintroduced to the oil.

I like to watch
    Name: JD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    i have deleted my pcv system on the L. I recently reinstalled it with a new routing....not sure what i prefer yet. I don't think I will do it on the HD because it not a head ache.