Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing shackles on rear just to level truck out..a little advice?

Name: John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Installing shackles on rear just to level truck out..a little advice?

Hi guys, I did search the forum and it seems most are lowering both front and rear and I am just wanting to level the rear with the front of the truck. I have a belltech shackle kit in my shopping cart at summit racing online. It says it will lower either 1 inch or 2 inches. Which should I choose? Will 1 inch actually give me 1 inch at the wheel or should I use the 2 inch setting? I figured this will be a good time to do it since I am going to replace all 4 oem shocks. I would say it is about time. My 2001 Harley crew is at 115,000 miles now. While I am posting here, I might mention I am getting ready to use chassis saver protector under my truck to kill some rust, and then I am going to put cab corners on as they are starting to rust. I did the rocker panels last year. I live in WV and before I got the truck, it must have seen some hard winters. With that said, I painted the truck last year and knew I should have replaced the corners then, but I tried to clear the rust and patch it, and it isn't holding. I have some beautiful gold flames on the truck and I am going to completely repaint it again in a few weeks after I get the underneath work done. I wanted to ask what you guys think about going with black wheels and blacking my nerf bars? I kind of like that look and my chrome wheels have some corrosion on them and I am either going to get new chrome replicas or the black and turn it all black (except maybe keeping my gold ghost flames). I will post a pic of what it looked like after I first painted it before I got it all back together. it is the only pics I have of my truck right now. Thanks for any input. sideview2.jpgfrontview2.jpgsideview.jpgfrontview1.jpgsideview3.jpg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went ahead and took a couple pics of it as it sits today. Just to share with everyone. I am seriously considering black wheels, black bars, and black pillar posts instead of the stainless I have now. I just cannot bring myself to get rid of those flames..I worked my A$ off doing that job and I liked the outcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Nice ride. In order for me to level out my 03 I used jlp rear shackles and used the 3 inch setting. That's with a hard bed cover . Me personally I would lose the chrome on the pillars. I think it breaks up the lines of the truck. If you need more chrome you can try and find the Lincoln blackwood trim.
    Last edited by B.O.B.; 10-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.

#8022 L&S oil separator, color matched tailgate handle and license plate bulb covers . Fog light mod ,Venom mod , JLP CAI and JLP rear shackles for a 3" drop out back. More to come.......SOLD ...........no more to come.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi BOB,

Actually I just order black pillar trim yesterday. I had some imperfections in the stock pillars and used these to cover it up last year. However, as I mentioned above, I am seriously considering losing all the chrome and going with black wheels and doing my nerf bars in black also. I saw an all black Harley truck on the internet..link is below, and I liked that quite a bit. I am wrestling with the idea, but I thought I might go ahead and buy the replica black wheels, and use plasti-dip on the bars until I can decide if I want to stick with it. If I change my mind, I will still have the chrome wheels and can peel dip off the bars. If I love it, I will probably do a more permanent solution to black the bars. I am also dumping those headlights. They suck. High beam is fine but the projectors are impossible to get a smooth light pattern. Going to the lightning style in black. Hate to lose my DRL's, those I liked, but oh well, I want good lighting. I may try to mod the new headlights I get and build my own projector HID bi-xenon. Thanks for the info on the shackles.

Link to blacked out Harley f150 https://www.flickr.com/photos/785742...7629716143957/
    Last edited by immusicman; 10-09-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added link to picture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi BOB,

Actually I just order black pillar trim yesterday. I had some imperfections in the stock pillars and used these to cover it up last year. However, as I mentioned above, I am seriously considering losing all the chrome and going with black wheels and doing my nerf bars in black also. I saw an all black Harley truck on the internet..link is below, and I liked that quite a bit. I am wrestling with the idea, but I thought I might go ahead and buy the replica black wheels, and use plasti-dip on the bars until I can decide if I want to stick with it. If I change my mind, I will still have the chrome wheels and can peel dip off the bars. If I love it, I will probably do a more permanent solution to black the bars. I am also dumping those headlights. They suck. High beam is fine but the projectors are impossible to get a smooth light pattern. Going to the lightning style in black. Hate to lose my DRL's, those I liked, but oh well, I want good lighting. I may try to mod the new headlights I get and build my own projector HID bi-xenon. Thanks for the info on the shackles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/785742...7629716143957/ This is link to blacked out Harley f-150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ordered the black pillar covers yesterday. May do black wheels also. Still wrestling with the idea.

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by immusicman View Post
    Ordered the black pillar covers yesterday. May do black wheels also. Still wrestling with the idea.
    I like the murdered out look . Not really a fan of all the chrome. Good luck with your decision.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    I like the murdered out look . Not really a fan of all the chrome. Good luck with your decision.
    Me too. Nice looking truck John. Loose the chrome except the wheels and bars or go all black. Like the flames too. Very nice
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    I did the Belltech 6400 Shackle kit. They're less $$ than the JLP's
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...l=1#post611727
    The downside is Belltech's only drop 2" the JLP's drop 3".
    2" drop was good for me. My front & rear is now level.

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    agree, lose the chrome on the pillars and look for the blackwood trim.
    Flames are outstanding- looks great

Vader's Chauffer
    Name: Ryan

Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I did the murdered out theme for about a year. I will say that I am glad I used plastidip so I could take it all back off. I liked it a lot at first, but it got old. So I went back to the chrome.

I like this better:

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Waite View Post
    I did the murdered out theme for about a year. I will say that I am glad I used plastidip so I could take it all back off. I liked it a lot at first, but it got old. So I went back to the chrome.

I like this better:

There you go. Now you can see how the both look. After seeing a side by side, I'm partial to the lower too.

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Just go with the 2" setting, the 03's have a stink bug stance.

Also, lose those headlights, these beautiful trucks deserve better than those ugly things.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys. Nice comparison pics to go by. I also have already ordered lightning headlights a few days ago because these headlights I had put in are TERRIBLE! The projectors stink. I will NOT be reinstalling them after I finish the clear coat this time. And thanks for the nice words about my flame job. It is the first time I had ever done it. I cannot draw at all, but I realized a talent with pin stripe laying out these flames. I think it is because I am able to use both hands..lol. Maybe I should try one of those REALLY big pencils and my drawing might improve..lol.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like the flames too! I'd try the plastidip like SoCal Waite before I had the parts painted. At least then you can see if you like it over time. JMO...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast