Thread: Receiver Hitch options for 2003 Harley F150

Name: Shawn

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts

Receiver Hitch options for 2003 Harley F150

I plan on installing a class 3/4 receiver hitch for some occasional towing. I've been searching on here for a brand and most suggest the Hidden Hitch brand. There is also a Street Scenes brand that is completely hidden, but requires cutting behind the license plate.

Does anyone have any experience installing either of these?

Any advice on what wiring kit to get and how easy that is to install?
    Last edited by SLOWBRA; 10-10-2015 at 10:02 PM.

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    My truck does not have a hitch on it from the factory but the harness is all there . I'm sure it's the same on your truck to be .

Receiver Hitch options for 2003 Harley F150

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    My truck does not have a hitch on it from the factory but the harness is all there . I'm sure it's the same on your truck to be .
    That is good to know! One less thing to install.

Part of me says keep the entire thing hidden like what the Street Scenes brand allows for, but don't know how comfortable I feel about cutting behind the license plate.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    Most likely it was removed. Most the owners of these trucks don't tow, so they remove them to save a little weight, especially the ones who drag race their truck. That being said, I have mine in the shop if anyone wants to come get it, they can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Most likely it was removed. Most the owners of these trucks don't tow, so they remove them to save a little weight, especially the ones who drag race their truck. That being said, I have mine in the shop if anyone wants to come get it, they can have it.
    Are you saying the wiring is only there if the truck came with a hitch receiver from the factory?

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBRA View Post
    Are you saying the wiring is only there if the truck came with a hitch receiver from the factory?
    Not sure about that. All's I'm saying is if you bought your truck used, the hitch very well could have been removed previously. If you were here a few years back, you would see mention of that as a "Cheap, easy mod" quite often. Back a few years ago, it seemed as though more folks built up these trucks for racing, etc. Now a days, it seems more folks that have these trucks are just using them for cruising and shows. I don't see a whole lot mention drag racing anymore.

It wouldn't surprise me if the wiring was there on all trucks. It makes it easier for Ford to not have different wiring harnesses, and you could always tow with the bumper as well. But the factory hitch was not a hidden hitch of any sort either. The whole thing hung below the bumper, and some who knew they wouldn't be towing removed it for the visual aesthetics as well. If I were to purchase one, I would definitely go with the hidden hitch style.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Not sure about that. All's I'm saying is if you bought your truck used, the hitch very well could have been removed previously. If you were here a few years back, you would see mention of that as a "Cheap, easy mod" quite often. Back a few years ago, it seemed as though more folks built up these trucks for racing, etc. Now a days, it seems more folks that have these trucks are just using them for cruising and shows. I don't see a whole lot mention drag racing anymore.

It wouldn't surprise me if the wiring was there on all trucks. It makes it easier for Ford to not have different wiring harnesses, and you could always tow with the bumper as well. But the factory hitch was not a hidden hitch of any sort either. The whole thing hung below the bumper, and some who knew they wouldn't be towing removed it for the visual aesthetics as well. If I were to purchase one, I would definitely go with the hidden hitch style.
    Cruising for me. My wiring is there too but no tow hitch (except the hole in the bumper). It might have had it and was removed as stated by Sonic above. Looks like I should be able to hook up a trailer, plug the tail light harness in and go.

Using the F150 Online vin decoder (link below) it states the following for my vehicle. I've never towed anything nor will I with my HD so if you know what you're looking at and can decifer what the information below is saying, you might have the same type of set up.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/vin...inDecoderFarea

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.4,500 lbs
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.450 lbs (450.0 min/450.0max)
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.4,500 lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.540 lbs (540.0 min/540.0max)
    Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.4,500 lbs
    Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.1125 lbs (1125.0 min/1125.0max)
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Good info guys. I may end up installing a hitch receiver while out of state so trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    I have the very rare race package... no heated seats , no tow package, no sliding rear window, all to reduce weight. Sunroof for down force. Bed extender for proper weight distribution and to keep the slicks from sliding around in the bed. Lol

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I went to a local pick-n-pull and took on of a f150. The wiring harness was under the rear bumper. After I bolted mine up I went by a tires place and had them hit it with an impact to be safe. Good luck.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...t=hidden+hitch

Check post #8 and 15 for the hidden hitch type which come out behind the license plate and don't hang down underneath the truck when not in use.
    No one can really see your rear license plate when you are towing a trailer anyways so who cares if it is flipped down when towing.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Quote Originally Posted by cayman150 View Post
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...t=hidden+hitch

Check post #8 and 15 for the hidden hitch type which come out behind the license plate and don't hang down underneath the truck when not in use.
    No one can really see your rear license plate when you are towing a trailer anyways so who cares if it is flipped down when towing.
    Post #34 on there shows a truly hidden one. I like it a lot, but I wonder how hard it would be to cut the hole behind the license plate? I wonder if any other modifications are necessary. Perhaps HD4mula can respond to this thread (I'll PM him).

I will likely be installing the hitch receiver on my truck while I am out of state so tools will be limited unless I get some help from fellow HD guys.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBRA View Post
    Post #34 on there shows a truly hidden one. I like it a lot, but I wonder how hard it would be to cut the hole behind the license plate? I wonder if any other modifications are necessary. Perhaps HD4mula can respond to this thread (I'll PM him).

I will likely be installing the hitch receiver on my truck while I am out of state so tools will be limited unless I get some help from fellow HD guys.
    That is mine. Sorry. I do not come here often anymore. Cutting the plastic roll pan is super easy. You can use a jig saw or better a body saw. It is a true hidden hitch. That other one shown there posted by 03_HD_F150SC is a joke.