Thread: DeeZee Tailgate Assist install

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts

DeeZee Tailgate Assist install

Today I installed DeeZee Tailgate Assist on both of my trucks, this mod has been on my to-do list for a long time and I am very pleased with the end result. As sold the F-150 version (part# DZ43203) of the Tailgate Assist does not work on the Lightning/HD without modification, however a clean and simple install has been devised through the efforts of other members. This thread isn't intended to be a "how to," I just want to clearly present the best way to retro-fit this mod for compatibility with the Lightning/HD.

For this install you need the complete Ford F-150 kit and a Dodge hardware kit:
    - DeeZee Ford F-150 Tailgate Assist kit - part# DZ43203
    - DeeZee Dodge hardware kit - part# BKT43300 (Order this kit directly from DeeZee, cost is $9.00)

The install consist of four components taken from the two kits. From the Ford kit you will use the shock, the lower shock mount, and the lower shock mount nut-sert. All that is used from the Dodge hardware kit is the upper shock mount.

Comparison of the hardware from the Ford and Dodge kits:

Dee Zee C - Labeled.jpg

Dodge upper shock mount (washer and mount):

Dee Zee F.jpg

As you can see in the picture above the stud of the Ford lower shock mount is quite a bit beefier than the stud for Dodge lower shock mount. I know of one member using the Dodge lower shock mount concerned it will eventually shear off. He also identified that use of the Dodge lower shock mount caused the shock to rub the tailgate, putting additional tension on the shock. In order to clearance the shock he added a shim which effectively served the same purpose of the large hex head of the Ford lower shock mount. For these reasons (clearance and added strength of the larger stud) I opted to use the Ford lower shock mount hardware.

The lower shock mount nut-sert is installed on a brace spot-welded to the lower, left corner of the tailgate. Most members locate the nut-sert between the two spot-welds. In hopes of achieving a stronger shock action and slower opening tailgate I followed the recommendation of others at located the nut-sert 1/2" higher. I do not know if this actually achieved a slower opening tailgate but I am content with the result.

Dee Zee G.jpg

To drill the hold for the nut-sert I started with a 1/8" pilot hole and increased bit size up to 3/8". Although a 1/2" bit probably would have been quicker I opted to use a rasp to file the hole large enough to tap the nut-sert into place with a hammer. I tightened the nut-sert down as shown in the installation directions but I snugged it down more than the recommended nine turns.

To make sure the cable cleared the shock I flatted the curve of the cable end with a hammer and flat surface.

End result:

Dee Zee D.jpg

Dee Zee E.jpg

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Nice TJ!

Name: Shawn

Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    Nice job indeed. Will have to add this to my list for mine.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Great pics and write up. This is a fantastic low cost mod that's very functional.

Many thanks for taking the time to investigate which parts work best on this as I gave up the first time trying to use all of the Ford kit.

I will now have to invest in the Dodge kit too to complete this on my 2000 F150 4x4.

Thank you, this is quickly becoming a favorite mod. I used to drop the tailgate as little as possible, now I'm in the bed more than ever since I don't have to worry about the tailgate getting away from me as I lower it. There literally are fingernail marks in the plastic trim of Heidi's tailgate where it slipped out of my hand and my reaction to catch it came up a little short. I dreaded doing that to Belle's painted plastics, that's no longer a concern.

DeeZee Tailgate Assist install

The wife made a comment about the tailgate being heavy so I ordered these items today. Will hopefully have mine installed next week.
    Last edited by SLOWBRA; 11-11-2015 at 02:30 PM.

As I mentioned in the write-up I located the lower shock stud above the spot-welds at the recommendation of others who thought doing so might provide a stronger shock action. I really don't think it matters though so at this point I recommend locating the lower nut-sert between the two pinch-welds.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

I like it! Mine has gotten away from me a few times already as well. I'm ordering mine tomorrow too. Need to call them during business hours so I can get the Dodge hardware kit - part# BKT43300 so as to include with the Ford F-150 Tailgate Assist kit - part# DZ43203. Thanks TJ.

I got my kit from Amazon and the hardware direct

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWBRA View Post
    I got my kit from Amazon and the hardware direct
    Thanks Shawn. Very cool. Didn't even think to look on Amazon which I use frequently already. A few bucks cheaper and two day shipping with Prime versus $15+ shipping from DeeZee.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016