Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain is not Good! Need help with a solution!

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Rain is not Good! Need help with a solution!

So it has rained pretty hard the past few days here in NC. I havent been paying attention to whats been going on in the back when i drive, but i got in the truck to go somewhere and there was a funky odor. I looked around to see what it could be, and my rear driver seat is soaked with water. The headliner above is just dripping. I feel the seat and it feels saturated and so i put a trashbag over that area of the roof to try to stop the rain/water from coming in and i dont think it really worked. so my question is, anyone have any ideas? i saw a lot of newer trucks say the 3rd brake light is to blame but i really dont think that is the case. anyone else had this problem or can offer a suggestion? do i get some caulk type of material and put it in there? i dont really know what to do.

thanks,

let me know if posting pics of this will help and i can try to take some tomorrow.

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Do you have a sunroof? If so look at the seal is it cracked or appear to have shrunk at all . Has your truck sat outside most of the time or has it been in the garage ?

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.O.B. View Post
    Do you have a sunroof? If so look at the seal is it cracked or appear to have shrunk at all . Has your truck sat outside most of the time or has it been in the garage ?
    it has been kept outside. would water leaking from the sunroof run all the way to the driver side rear headliner? the sunroof seal seems to be fine, i have went through carwashes with no problems. I feel like the back rear window area, may be loose or the seal broken, i have tried to move it around, and there is a little play.

aka not rite
    Name: Bob

Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
    Do a search for" sunroof leaking " there are a few threads on this along with " back window leaking " . I was just reading thru these and it might help you to narrow down your leak. Good luck.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Or it could be the rear window. Mine leaked and i thought it was the sunroof as well being the headliner was wet. Have to pull the glass out and reinstall with new butyl rope.

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Or it could be the rear window. Mine leaked and i thought it was the sunroof as well being the headliner was wet. Have to pull the glass out and reinstall with new butyl rope.
    how hard of a job is that? im pretty sure thats what is happening with mine. are there any places that do that kind of thing? i would think a dealer would, but i have a feeling that would be a lot of $ to shell out. if you have any other advice or thoughts please let me know. thanks for the info as well.

Mobbin around the NW

You have to pull all the plastics around the window (inside), including the lower back wall. Loosen and drop the rear of the headliner, and then you will see a bunch of small bolts that go around the window on the inside. Once you remove the bolts you have to work the window free from the rest of the old butyl rope that seals it. Its kinda like tar. Mine wasnt too bad to get out. Enough of it had separated that it wasnt to hard to work the rest loose. Cleaning the old stuff off the window wasnt too bad, and the new stuff is cheap at your local parts store. It's not too difficult, just time consuming.

But if you don't feel confident tackling it yourself, any windshield company should be able to fix you up. But it probably wont be cheap there either; better than the dealer though. I'm sure they will stick you for at least a couple shop hours.

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    thanks, i guess another question would be, do you have to remove the window or could you just "caulk" the loose area with some fresh sealant? so basically just plug up the gaps/holes instead of removing the window and what not. i havent looked to see how bad it is, so im kinda just taking a shot in the dark on that idea? is it silly to try that, or is it best just to totally replace the seal

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Third brake light!!!

Mobbin around the NW

Quote Originally Posted by jmarvolous View Post
    thanks, i guess another question would be, do you have to remove the window or could you just "caulk" the loose area with some fresh sealant? so basically just plug up the gaps/holes instead of removing the window and what not. i havent looked to see how bad it is, so im kinda just taking a shot in the dark on that idea? is it silly to try that, or is it best just to totally replace the seal
    It may be hard to tell from the pic, but there is an outer ring of holes in the body, where the plastic surround bolts to (the surround and window have threaded studs on them) and the inner ring of holes is for the window. The seal wraps around outside the holes. (You stick the rope around the window, when you tighten the bolts it seals to the body) If you look closely, you can sort of see some residue left from the old seal. I would think it would be difficult to caulk or silicone anywhere and be very effective. You could always give it a shot, but if it doesn't work, then you have that mess to deal with as well. You dont have to remove the surround to remove the window, but it makes it easier to clean.
    P1010964.jpg

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    if i do end up trying to do it myself, where would i purchase a butyl rope

Name: Stephen

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Find a glass guy and have him do it, it's not worth the hassle. I had the rear window seal replaced in my 14-year-old HD SuperCrew this year - I believe I paid him 150.00 to do the job (took him less than an hour) and I know from watching him and the youtube videos on doing this repair it probably would have taken me half a day and at least two trips to the store.

Mobbin around the NW

Quote Originally Posted by jmarvolous View Post
    if i do end up trying to do it myself, where would i purchase a butyl rope
    I found it at my local NAPA

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    when you say glass guy, do you mean like safe-lite or what type of glass guy am i looking for?

Mobbin around the NW

Yeah someone who does auto glass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast