Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ok San Diegans

Huh?
    Name: Philip

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts

Ok San Diegans

My name is Philip and I have an addiction. (Hello Philip).
    Now that that is over I gots me a problem and I hope the answer is not "sorry bud your screwed". While driving on the section of the 15 between the 8 and the 163 my truck bounces up and down sometimes pretty bad.😱 I know its the road and I believe the wheelbase. My question is, is there a way to alliviate the problem a lil bit or all together? Any help from anyone would be nice, i just figured the guys here would know what I am talking about

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    What's your suspension set up consist of?

Huh?

100% stock. You know what area I am talking about right? And that is the only area it does it so I know the road has something to do with it. Just never felt it in my old POS

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    almost all freeways in california do that. Any cement 'sectional' highway where they lay the concrete down in sections, they seem to line up just right for a terribly choppy ride in these trucks at ~55-70mph. The bounce is very pronounced at low speeds in stop and go traffic too. It does smooth out if you go fast enough ;) Like 90mph - seriously. A couple years ago the 101 near where I live was 'scraped' over the course of a few weeks, it's glorious and I no longer care as much since I only get to experience it when I go far out of town.

mine did it 100% stock suspension
    it did it with hotchkis swaybars front and rear
    it did it worse with the rear lowered with JLP shackles (tried all 3 holes, 2", 3", 4" drop)
    it did it EVEN worse with bilstein lightning-spec shocks all around
    it did it a LITTLE LESS bad with rear shock mount extenders (allows shock to sit more in the middle of it's travel rather than compressed up tight)
    it did it a LITTLE LESS bad with 285/40r22 and 305/40r22 tires on 22" replica wheels

I have a set of slam-air helper air bags to install on the rear that I'm hoping will help (will run the shackles at maximum drop - 4", and then run air pressure to level the rear so it's riding on a lot of air)

I hate it. I would blame the shocks the most, but it did it with the really soft stock shocks too for me, and for you as well obviously.

nature of the truck I'm afraid.

Huh?

I figured that was gonna be my answer, dangit. L spec shocks are more stiff right? That's why it is a rougher ride? Can you post some pics of the bags when you install them, and relay how they feel the the road? You plan sounds a helluva lot cheaper than running a 4 link and bagging it. That was my thought, to eliminate the leafs altogether. Maybe I will do your plan instead.

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    What can anyone tell me about camber kits for the 03 F150? I know what they do butttt anyone have any suggested brands to use? My truck has a lowering kit 3 in the front and 4 in the rear. Anyone got any suggestions ?

Huh?

I wish I could help you mine is not lowered so I have no experiance with with them. But I would like to know as well for when I lower the front of mine. Just cant do that until I buy new smaller tires. Previous owners put 285/50/20 on so I am rubbing at stock height. Speed bumps hit inner fender and u turns hit lower control arms. Sorry got off topic there.

I have a 1/2 coil cut in the front, one leaf removed in the rear, JLP shackles, Lightning spec Bilsteins in all corners, shock extenders, Lightning rear sway and Air Lift Slam Air helper bags that I run at the recommended 10 PSI for unloaded, DD duties. I added the bags because Heidi is the tow pig for Belle and as a DD I want the ability to use her as a truck when needed. Without the bags the rear was a little bouncy due to the removed leaf but with the bags the ride quality is great and the rear sway really improved the handling through the corners.

I have the Ford cam bolts on my Lightning, IIRC they are beefier than the ones sold through Napa, etc. but they do cost more. Guys have been running parts store brand cam bolts for year with no issues so I wouldn't worry too much about brand. I'm not sure what brand are on my HD since they were installed by a previous owner. I also have LFP clunk washers up front.
    Last edited by throttle jockey; 03-24-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Clunk washers?

Quote Originally Posted by BENNY832 View Post
    Clunk washers?
    For sake of ease Ford elongated the hole in the driver side lower control arm to simplify wheel alignment during assembly. As result the control arm can slide laterally (typically during slow, hard turns) causing a "clunk" sound. Ford acknowledged this and attempted to remedy the issue by using LCA bolts with serrations in hopes that they would bite into the LCA and prevent the unwanted motion. This wasn't overly successful however. Then someone came up with a simple, cheap solution... the clunk washer (also called Herb's Washers after the inventor's namesake). Herb no longer sells them but they are available through LFP (Lightning Force Performance). When rebuilding the front suspension, installing cam bolts, or when experiencing the "clunk" its worth while to add clunk washers.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...bs_washers.htm

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well hell, I have always wondered why it makes that noise when I am turning slowly into the driveway or backing up slowly. Amazing, Thanks for the great information Allen! I have no idea where you get all this information but sure am glad someone has it! Thanks again.

'03 Shamu/Build #04441
    Name: Sean

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENNY832 View Post
    Well hell, I have always wondered why it makes that noise when I am turning slowly into the driveway or backing up slowly. Amazing, Thanks for the great information Allen! I have no idea where you get all this information but sure am glad someone has it! Thanks again.
    Me too. Thanks Allen and thanks to you Benny for asking the question. Need to get me some of those. Mine does the exact same thing as Benny describes and it drives me nuts.

Update: Just ordered the clunk washers through Lightning Force Performance.
    Last edited by 5.4 F150; 03-24-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Purchased

There are other sources of clunks with these trucks (transmission crossmembers and steering stops for example) so the washers might not be the answer to your clunks.

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by throttle jockey View Post
    I have a 1/2 coil cut in the front, one leaf removed in the rear, Lightning spec Bilsteins in all corners, shock extenders, Lightning rear sway and Air Lift Slam Air helper bags that I run at the recommended 10 PSI for unloaded, DD duties. .
    I know nuffin about suspension, but I am learning, which bags and what brand extenders did you use because I noticed a different look between extender brands. And when you say "lightning spec" do you just walk up to counter and say you need some new shocks for a lightning?
    Last edited by PhilthyPhil; 03-24-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Lightning-spec Bilstein shocks:
    Front part# 24-187442
    Rear part# 24-187459

Air Lift SlamAir helper bags (part# 59103)

Belltech shock extenders (part# 6657)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast