Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Street Scene roll pan with SRT8 style center exhaust

Name: James

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Street Scene roll pan with SRT8 style center exhaust

Now that I've got your attention I'm trying to get some opinions, ideas, suggestions, advice and Photoshop skills so that I/we can see what this could potentially look like to help me make a decision.

Shortly after buying my truck, apparently all my cats were either clogged or close to it, so I had the post cats deleted and Magnaflow post cats installed. On a stock engine, this sounded fine, but was bordering on my limit of DD'ing. Since going built due to breaking a rod, I had to install headers since I was told 500hp was the choking point on the stock ones. The exhaust now is to the point where it's just too much for me...it's not bad inside due to all the Dynamatting I've installed, but under throttle I'm almost embarrassed how loud it is, especially when I have the passenger side windows down, so for the most part they stay up so I don't have to listen to the echo off buildings, other cars, etc. My thoughts are that if I redo the exhaust so that it exits out the back, it'll solve my problems. My truck is a 2002 DSG, lowered 2" in the rear, otherwise nothing crazy. I do plan on going lower, a few more inches front and rear, so low hanging tips could cause an issue.

My starting point to build from - http://www.carid.com/2001-ford-f-150...-12496726.html

Google images only finds me ONE F150 w/ a center exhaust exit, but it's missing the license plate mounting - http://www.truckinweb.com/features/1.../photo_02.html I've thought about going as far relocating the license plate to the bed (I don't like those lowrider mounting boxes, they're too simple and blah) via intergrating something like a Lincoln Navigator license plate assembly into my tailgate - https://www.google.com/search?q=2002...Q&ved=0CBIQvwU but it creates two problems...I think that might be overkill on the tailgate, and then the opening in the roll pan itself isn't really shaped in a way that a simply rectangular exhaust tip will fill the space appropriately. This is where I was hoping someone w/ Photoship skills could come into play so I can see it visually.

If that doesn't work, my next step was doing something very wide and thin, then just mounting either one tip under the license plate itself, or even doing something like notching two areas on the LH and RH side of the plate into the roll pan itself, something like /``````\ [ABC123] /``````\ The stock exhaust on my BMW 740iL had turned down tips, so nothing could be seen. Instead I notched the bumper,finished the edges in black door edge molding and installed Magnaflow 14816 mufflers - https://www.google.com/search?q=1998...ll=1&oq=&gs_l= to give it an E39 M5 sound and look, so I'm going with that same train of though...notched so it looks more intergrated into the bumper vs just hangind down below.

Here are some random pics of tips I've found that I might like, but wanted some opinions. The more I type, the more I think doing notches on each side the of roll pan will better. While some of these are center exhaust pics, some are dual center exhaust tips that I could incorporate into the notched roll pan:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=17
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/13149512-post3.html - The first pic is a perfect example of what I'm trying to avoid, the second being what I'd prefer, but the rollpan doesn't leave room for notching it below the license plate, so the wide tips are what I'm looking at here
    http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=11 - not sure if tips with rounded corners would look good on a truck with such a square backside
    http://www.mustangperformanceparts.b...enter-exhaust/ - tips like this could work to fill the area if I competely deleted the stock license plate location on the rollpan, but then I back to questioning how a Navigator license plate assembly would look intergrated into the tailgate. There are LOTS of pics of cars with overly large, round tips like this, which is what I like...but I'm not sure if I could make it work
    http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/341025-post10.html - this tip would almost definately fill the license plate hole, but see above...I'm not ruling it out though.

I'm still searching for pics of a bumper that's notched on each side of the license plate, but I think you guys get the idea. As I said, I'd love opinions and suggestions, but most importanly someone w/ Photoshop skills so I can see it for myself.
    Last edited by m5james; 07-21-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3033679 - while I think wider and not as tall would look better, this is about the closest I've seen to what I'd choose if doing notches on the rollpan.
    http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/736487-post1.html - this guy went overboard in his notching (Dodge drivers...) and did tacky chrome door edge molding, but you get the idea. I'd make it fit tighter around the notches like so - http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=15
    Last edited by m5james; 07-18-2014 at 10:15 PM.

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I think you could accomplish what you want with a roll pan if you had a creative guy at a body shop. You'd have to remove your spare tire to free up room for a center exit but having it exit on both sides of the plate like the BMW's might not be too difficult.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I notched the bumpers on my 740 and did such a good job that I did it for a bunch of other people as well...created a PDF with a template and everything for others to follow who didn't live near me. I'm just not sure which tips to get that'll fit visually...still hoping for someone with Photoshop skills to chime in :-)

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Just dump them before the axle, cleaner is always better IMO.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The exhaust dumps in the stock position and is too loud for my liking...making them Lightning style and bringing the tips closer to the cab would only make it worse and defy the whole point of what I'm trying to accomplish here.

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    What's bothering you about the noise? Is it the loudness under throttle or drone in the cab on the highway? Rear exit won't help the drone, get some resonators.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I already said why in the middle of my second paragraph on my initial post. The drone is under control via Dynamatting the interior and it did a great job. What I can't stand is the popping, overly loud, sounding like a speed boat that I can hear when I have ths windows down on the passenger side, so I've resorted to never rolling them down. That's that first few seconds where the boost hasn't fully kicked it, or even partial throttle where it's just to loud...once momentum takes over, the sound us drowned out by speed and I don't hear it. Doing an exit out the rear will help solve that problem.
    Last edited by m5james; 07-21-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    CTS V tips thread - http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...ad.php?t=97300

I'm sure I commented on this thread before, but not my style choice on the tips nor how they exit directly under the icense plate like that. In my opinion, the bumper should have been notched on each side of the license so that the bottom of the tips are almost flush with the bottom edge of the bumper (maybe only halfway, but definitely not hanging below) so they look integrated into the bumper.
    Last edited by m5james; 07-21-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    so you currently have the exhaust dumped? I'm surprised you can live with that. What kind of muffler do you have?

With my longtubes, no cats, and the stock muffler/catback with the stock exhaust exit, my truck is barely any louder than stock, the supercharger is by FAR the loudest thing, and only when making boost. There's no popping/crackling or anything silly going on. Are you sure you don't have any exhaust leaks? Even in parking garages or going through tunnels I can't hear the exhaust with the windows down if the truck is rolling.

My tahoe had a 383 (6.2L?) vortec smallblock, shorty headers, magnaflow 2.5" catted mid-pipe, and magnaflow muffler with a dump/turn down in front of the rear axle when I first got the new engine in it. It was *horribly* loud. I had the stock tailpipe welded onto the muffler and the truck was instantly 90% quieter inside and outside. I'm still happy I sold the truck, but it sounded great and had a lot of torque ;)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't know what "exhaust dumped" means. Right now I've got shorty headers, deleted precats, Magnaflow post cats and the exhaust exits in the stock location for an HD. It's too loud for my liking, I rarely roll the passenger side windows down so I don't have to listen to it echo like gunfire off the buildings, so this is why I wanna look into rear exit instead.

Word

dumped exhaust is exactly how it sounds, looking at the muffler, it will have a pipe that dumps the exhaust straight down into the ground so that it doesn't melt/burn up anything under the car. No tailpipe visible anywhere on the car.

It's loud as ****, and not a good kind of loud on any car/truck I've heard that has had it done.

So you don't have any mufflers at all? Moving the pipes with the existing setup without a muffler at all isn't going to make it quieter, just change where the noise all goes. It's still going to echo off k-rails/walls/buildings/tunnels/garages while driving around.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Many cars have exhaust dumps like that in the BMW world...my 7 series for example is like that. I notched the bumper and installed Magnaflow 14816 mufflers...increased the noise a little but it sounds awesome. Dumps like that aren't always loud, most times I've seen it is for aesthetic reasons.

I have the stock muffler, and changing where the noise goes is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Making it quieter means adding more restrictions, which defies the point of me going built. If it's firing backwards that means I won't hear it as much with the passenger window down where it's firing now.

Word

If the dump/turn-down is fully under the car it has this low bass drone that sounds like ****. If the pipes are turned down but without the car being above it like further back I can see how it wouldn't do that.

How about just a quieter muffler? You still haven't said what kind is on there now, LOL. I run 2x 3" dynomax super turbo mufflers on my track car, which is supercharged. It's almost as quiet as stock, and the mufflers definitely do not restrict any power. I had it on the dyno with that catback, with no catback, and then with no mid-pipe (which is an X-pipe with no cats anyways) just running the headers. All of those dyno runs were within 10hp, with the full setup with the mufflers making the most power.

Louder != more power.

If you want it quieter, I am by all means right there with you, but there are better ways to go about it which won't (IMO of course) ruin the look of the truck with a roll pan. a 24" 3" in/out magnaflow or a dual 3" in/out dynomax super turbo muffler would quiet it down for sure. I think my track car is quieter than my truck, which as I mentioned has the stock muffler/catback on it. Both make similar power, but the mustang does make about 100hp more.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    In the example of my 740, the car has stock headers, Magnaflow cats, stock resonator then Magnaflow mufflers under the bumper. It sounds perfect, a hair quieter than a stock E39 M5.

I've said it twice before...stock muffler. From the cats back it's bone stock.

I understand that, but I know plenty of vehicles that have just as much if not more power and/or quarter mile times as our trucks...yet they're still quiet as can be. I don't have a problem changing mufflers, and I still can at any point, but in the meantime changing where the exhaust exits for the sake of relocating the sound is my goal.

I don't see how installing a rollpan will ruin the look of the truck, but to each their own. If you read the thread I linked above you'll read comments from all these people who call themselves "purists", yet they've modified their truck greatly as well. I'm on the same page as the original OP of that thread, we just disagree on tip choice and location. The pic below was posted to make fun of the OP, but other than the mufflers showing and oval tips, I actually like it. Personally I'd do rectangular tips with slightly rounded corners, have the notch about the same height vertically, then move then inwards closer to plate since I'm sure this picture wouldn't work in the real world to clear the leafs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m5james; 07-21-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast