Thread: Amp Install Questions

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Amp Install Questions

I have an amp I want to install soon. I see most people have installed their amps in the back panels where the jack is located. I've never installed an amp before, so I'm not sure what all is involved with it. Head units and speakers, no problem.

What all do I have to do to install this in the jack location? Also, what's the best route for the wiring?

TIA!

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    Easy. Find where you want to mount it. You will need power, ground, remote (turn on), RCA wires, also a fuse. It's best to get a kit. Usually a 4ga kit will suffice, but if your adding multiple amps I would go 0ga. For the fuse you want to match it up to the amperage on your amp. Also you want the fuse no more then a foot away from the battery. Try to keep the power wire away from any moving parts cause you don't want a short. When passing the power wire through metal use a grommet to avoid chaffing and shorts. Remote wire can be hooked up to either a power antenna wire or ignition controlled wire. It isn't needed but it wouldn't hurt to have a fuse on the remote. RCA is your signal wires,assuming you have an aftermarket radio. If not you need a line output converter that hooks to the speaker wires. For the ground, make sure the wire is the same gauge as the power wire. You want to choose a good clean ground. You don't need to got to the battery, but if you are using a painted surface, scuff the paint off to ensure a solid connection. That's pretty much the basics. I like to run my RCA wires on the opposite side of my power wires to reduce them picking up noise. Just make sure you disconnect the battery. Sorry if I'm making it sound like you don't know what your doing. But I'm just laying it out how i learned.

3. The Following User Liked tpr103 For This Useful Post:

PhilthyPhil (07-12-2016)

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    I put my amps behind the drivers side rear passenger seat.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...Amps-installed

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks fellas.

The amp appears to be 90 amperes. Am I okay with 100 amp fuse?

<edit>http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N1y3ath...on-X801-5.html
    Here's the amp I bought (not at that price though). </edit>
    Last edited by dermaestro; 07-17-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: provided link